Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 41 Likes Search this Thread
10-01-2019, 08:31 AM - 1 Like   #46

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
s Fovi (which long time ago was “Pentax Norway”) going to be the only dealer left?
No. There is three reliable Pentax dealers in Norway.

Fovi As (The only Pentax Pro Center)
Stavanger Foto (Selling both used and new)

Norsk Fotoimport (Only stock Pentax in their DSLR lineup)

10-01-2019, 02:29 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is also disappearing from ME countries.
10-05-2019, 09:51 AM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I guess retail is dying so it makes no sense to stay in. Basically no toy shops left around here as I found out today. The rest of retail is going soon as well. With real estate being what it is today and investment not going into anything productive rents will increase and bricks and mortar will become impossible. I guess one could argue Pentax is ahead of the curve!
10-05-2019, 04:37 PM   #49
Pentaxian

Everyone is going online. Even our brick and mortar distributor here sells online though I haven't tried it. That's the trend these days. But it would be great if you can see and hold the actual product before buying it.

10-12-2019, 09:18 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Sadly, our best brick and mortar camera store in Cleveland OH, Dodd Camera, who also serves the pro market with equipment rentals, etc., discontinued carrying Pentax about 1 year ago, partly because there were no Pentax Reps who visited on a regular enough basis to give them adequate service, at least that's what their 1 Pentax focused salesperson told me. If one wants to purchase a Pentax camera or equipment thru them, they will order it, but there's nothing to see or handle prior to purchase. I still stop by to look at their used camera lenses, and try to buy misc. accessories like straps or bags from them, as their prices seem fair to me, even compared to mail order or internet prices. We actually had a new camera shop open about 2 years ago, but they don't handle current Pentax products, but seem focused (sic) on Canikon, Fuji, Olympus, Sony, and Panasonic, with a larger emphasis on brand models that are mirrorless and have good video capabilities. They do buy or accept trade in's on used camera equipment, so I did luck into a Takumar 135 2.5 for like $50..!!

The internet is a 2 edged sword …
10-12-2019, 09:25 AM   #51

I must confess, I mostly order online these days and I don't mind it's on the other side of the planet.
10-12-2019, 10:20 PM   #52
Pentaxian

Though I order online, I wish there will be other stores that will carry Pentax here in the Philippines. After all the cameras are made here in Cebu. It's the after sales that worries me. The online store where I purchased several equipments doesn't reply anymore. Fingers crossed is what I'm doing.

10-17-2019, 02:12 AM - 1 Like   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MrKodak Quote
I must confess, I mostly order online these days and I don't mind it's on the other side of the planet.
When bying new Pentax gear, I always buy it locally from Fovi. There are several reasons for this:

1: If nobody buys locally - local stores will vanish.
2: Warranty - in Norway it is up to 5 years. Buy it from the other side of the planet and I'll get 1 year warranty.
3: Service - the service I get from Fovi can't be matched.

A cheaper price on the other side of the planet can't compensate for the above.

10-17-2019, 11:06 AM   #54
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It actually seems there are a few small physical shops that stock Pentax and sell online. Pentax is selling quite a few things at reduced price atm though these tiny shops. Saw an ad on a photography site. The da* 11-18 is reduced with 30% from what it was just a few months ago. Wouldn't have known about the shops without these Pentax promotions.
10-17-2019, 11:33 AM - 1 Like   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
It actually seems there are a few small physical shops that stock Pentax and sell online. Pentax is selling quite a few things at reduced price atm though these tiny shops. Saw an ad on a photography site. The da* 11-18 is reduced with 30% from what it was just a few months ago. Wouldn't have known about the shops without these Pentax promotions.
Physical shops versus online retailers has been the major challenge over the last 10 years. Not just in electronic products but everywhere. Those that have managed to do both well have done ok. I am lucky I live within an hour drive of the two largest Pentax retailers in the UK... SRS and Park. But the important thing is I use them. I will not buy from a cheaper no-shop retailer to save a few pounds. Engage and support your local stores. If you have a problem they will help you. Try that with a importer who cares nothing about you.
10-17-2019, 11:48 AM - 1 Like   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hongman Quote
Dodd Camera, who also serves the pro market with equipment rentals, etc., discontinued carrying Pentax about 1 year ago
Dodd Camera is still listed as an Authorized Ricoh Dealer. If they no longer carry your products in their store, offer only a meager selection of leftover items on their website and are no longer visited by the Ricoh/Pentax sales rep, they they are effectively no longer a dealer for your products. Sadly, this is true for the majority of dealers on the official Ricoh Authorized Dealer list. See my summary of US Ricoh dealers.
10-17-2019, 12:07 PM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MrNPhoto Quote
Dodd Camera is still listed as an Authorized Ricoh Dealer. If they no longer carry your products in their store, offer only a meager selection of leftover items on their website and are no longer visited by the Ricoh/Pentax sales rep, they they are effectively no longer a dealer for your products. Sadly, this is true for the majority of dealers on the official Ricoh Authorized Dealer list. See my summary of US Ricoh dealers.
I am impressed by your spreadsheet. I should be very useful.
10-17-2019, 01:27 PM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MrNPhoto Quote
Impressive work indeed. It looks like Ricoh imaging could benefit from updating their list of authorised dealers...