Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3229 Likes Search this Thread
10-03-2019, 10:53 PM   #1876
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
One word in caution: HEAT

Steve
That is the thing also with my gopro. It does get really hot while charging. Bigger battery would for sure do the same..

10-03-2019, 10:56 PM - 1 Like   #1877
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
USB-C by itself isn't much interesting, it's just a connector.
The USB-C connector will serve as a replacement for the HDMI port. With the amount space taken up by the HDMI port you could fit two USB-C connectors in that place.

Also the speed of data transmission from USB3.2 would be a welcome advancement...though SD card data transmission speeds would be a bottleneck.
10-03-2019, 11:07 PM   #1878
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
On a side note, AFAIK, Pentax DSLRs never embedded (till now) charging circuits, did they?
The GRIII does so maybe....
The GR III definitely does, as does the Theta Z1.
10-03-2019, 11:10 PM   #1879
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
The USB-C connector will serve as a replacement for the HDMI port. With the amount space taken up by the HDMI port you could fit two USB-C connectors in that place.
USB-C is pretty expensive per unit compared to a regular HDMI or displayport. Especially if you want the connector to be compatible with HDMI directly.

---------- Post added 10-04-19 at 02:14 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
For me WiFi is the least desirable feature that could be added, I don't need another WiFi capable device to possibly be able to be compromised in some way. it takes mere seconds to pop in an SD card into my laptop's card slots.
I don't understand this argument. Wifi can only be compromised if its on or if you installed something that took it over.

It's not a smart device, you'd only use it when you need to. And since cameras power cycle so often it'd be incredibly difficult for anyone to get anything from it.

Last edited by ZombieArmy; 10-03-2019 at 11:15 PM.
10-03-2019, 11:16 PM - 1 Like   #1880
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Wifi can only be compromised if its on or if you installed something that took it over.
Some malicious code can be executed without user intervention, that is how some Botnets originate.
10-03-2019, 11:20 PM   #1881
Pentaxian

Some malicious code can be executed without user intervention, that is how some Botnets originate.
Yah but you're not visiting websites or opening emails on your camera. My Pentax's wifi is the least of my concern when it comes to my devices being compromised.
10-03-2019, 11:28 PM - 2 Likes   #1882
bxf
Veteran Member

you're not visiting websites or opening emails on your camera
What, I can't do that? Now that's something to complain about.

10-03-2019, 11:29 PM - 2 Likes   #1883
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My Pentax's wifi is the least of my concern when it comes to my devices being compromised.
It is low on my list of concerns as well, however I have only seldom made use of Wi-Fi connectivity at home or at work. I had one artistic director request I pair my cameras to his laptop - that is one way malicious code can be transferred if the user of the laptop in question is careless with security.
10-03-2019, 11:31 PM   #1884
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
Now that's something to complain about.
What! Not in this area of the Forum, surely?!!!!
10-03-2019, 11:41 PM - 3 Likes   #1885
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zooland Quote
Not sure, unless you accidentally hit the button while looking into the viewfinder and it the pops and hits you on the face.
No wishing to add fuel to this fire, but it would be possible for the sensor under the viewfinder to disable that function, in the hypothetical case that that is what the button does
10-03-2019, 11:51 PM - 1 Like   #1886
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It is low on my list of concerns as well, however I have only seldom made use of Wi-Fi connectivity at home or at work. I had one artistic director request I pair my cameras to his laptop - that is one way malicious code can be transferred if the user of the laptop in question is careless with security.
In theory, yes.
Practically, very unlikely till now since the the code needs to target the victim. I can't imagine someone targeting Pentax DSLRs ruuning an obscure OS not even (AFAIK) available to end users.
Now if Ricoh/Pentax transition to Android, that may be a bit more concerning but frankly, all Canon, Nikon, Panasonic and Sony users will be hell of better targets than us.
10-03-2019, 11:53 PM - 1 Like   #1887
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
No wishing to add fuel to this fire, but it would be possible for the sensor under the viewfinder to disable that function, in the hypothetical case that that is what the button does
I actually think a button to pop out the screen would be really elegant, especially if you're wearing gloves. It can actually be a bit of a pain on the KP currently.
10-04-2019, 12:02 AM   #1888
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I actually think a button to pop out the screen would be really elegant, especially if you're wearing gloves. It can actually be a bit of a pain on the KP currently.
I'm certainly not against it -there is evidence that somethig is going on - there is a bigger gap between the glass and the surround than on my K-3, and that button is left unmarked for a reason - but there are problems too, as currently constituted, like the vulnerability of the screen to edge chipping if it were able to come clear of the body. The mechanism would also have the be very thin, and therefore vulnerable to damage - the K-3 screen is recessed from the RHS buttons whereas the K-1 screen protrudes behind them - no dangling the camera from this one, if it were to exist, I suspect,
10-04-2019, 12:15 AM   #1889
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by impossibro Quote
Honestly, PENTAX doesn't need to bring anything super revolutionary to the table as long the feature set brings the performance in line with the other modern dslr/dslm cameras. Pentax will probably become the go-to brand for dslrs much like Leica is the go-to brand for rangefinders (based on how the industry is shifting to mirrorless).
In my opinion, all cameras have reached such a high level of performance that it is becoming increasingly difficult to bring anything revolutionary to the market. New cameras will have little new to offer over existing cameras. The less you have to offer in a new release, the less likely people will buy it. Additionally, In this age of environmental awareness, people will also be more prone to keep their equipment for a longer time. In such a situation, the bigger you are the harder you will fall. In that respect, I'm happy that Pentax isn't bringing new cameras to the market every single year. I think Ricoh has a sound longterm strategy for Pentax.

If Pentax becomes the only DSLR player, thats even better.

Pentax's main area for improvement is AF performance.

Last edited by troenaas; 10-04-2019 at 01:19 AM.
10-04-2019, 01:14 AM - 1 Like   #1890
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I'm certainly not against it -there is evidence that somethig is going on - there is a bigger gap between the glass and the surround than on my K-3, and that button is left unmarked for a reason - but there are problems too, as currently constituted, like the vulnerability of the screen to edge chipping if it were able to come clear of the body. The mechanism would also have the be very thin, and therefore vulnerable to damage - the K-3 screen is recessed from the RHS buttons whereas the K-1 screen protrudes behind them - no dangling the camera from this one, if it were to exist, I suspect,
Sigh... I give up. I'll start looking for the hidden "pop out LCD" on my GR III, because it has the same screen.
Closed Thread