Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3229 Likes Search this Thread
10-04-2019, 09:04 AM - 1 Like   #1936
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Sorry if this has been discussed, but any thoughts about the small pits on either side of the prism housing (from above) - indicator lights? (and I don't mean flashers )

PS - I see the K-1 has similar towards the front of the prism housing
LED’s to illuminate the lens mount for night mounting. There are several illumination options on K-1.

10-04-2019, 09:06 AM   #1937
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
That card door doesn’t look much wider than the card door on my Kx and it only hold one card, not enough room for two.
Flagships have 2 Card slots. It will have all the features and functions of the K-1 ll or better.
10-04-2019, 09:20 AM   #1938
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Wide enough for two card slots.
Trash label on the upper left.
Source of the pictures above (©Albert Siegel): Close-up Photos: New Pentax APS-C Flagship - Pentax Announcements | PentaxForums.com
Looking at the camera again it looks like Pentax determines the shape by making physical prototypes by hand. I could be wrong but the details of the forms and counter-forms don't look like they come from CAD software.
10-04-2019, 09:30 AM - 1 Like   #1939
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

CAD has come a very long way and it's fairly trivial to sculpt nice rounded shapes nowadays, but it could indeed be hand made.

10-04-2019, 09:35 AM   #1940
Pentaxian

It's CAD designed, of course, but they'd be making mock-ups and see which works better.
10-04-2019, 09:36 AM   #1941
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
If the camera in body is discharged I don't have time to wait for a usb recharge in camera, because it is much faster to remove the empty battery from the camera and insert a fully charged one.

In-body charging works well for light use, but one or more spare batteries and portable charger are much more practical when actively shooting.

Steve
10-04-2019, 09:50 AM   #1942
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
USB charging would be useful for time lapse or astro-photography. I've recently done some time lapse video with the K-1 and the limitation is the battery. The ability to plug the camera into a USB-C charger or external battery pack would be useful regardless of whether anyone would use it to charge the battery.
External power for time lapse and such is supported on most recent models, but the last time I checked, that was limited to AC power supplies from Pentax and third-party vendors. Battery would be nice and I believe some DIY battery-powered solutions are out there.

Steve

10-04-2019, 09:51 AM   #1943
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
LED’s to illuminate the lens mount for night mounting. There are several illumination options on K-1.
I was actually referring the much smaller pits just in front of the hot shoe on either side - The K-1 has these near the front of the prism housing, again, on both sides but don't light up - so it's nothing new, just diferently positioned and I don't know what they are
10-04-2019, 09:54 AM   #1944
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
K-1 prototype had NFC. A pity they removed it.
The K-S2 had it, but was sort of a silent feature as far as reviewer and user comments were concerned.

Steve
10-04-2019, 09:55 AM   #1945
Pentaxian

I was actually referring the much smaller pits just in front of the hot shoe on either side - The K-1 has these near the front of the prism housing, again, on both sides but don't light up - so it's nothing new, just diferently positioned and I don't know what they are
Stereo microphones, probably.
10-04-2019, 09:59 AM   #1946
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Some malicious code can be executed without user intervention, that is how some Botnets originate.
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Yah but you're not visiting websites or opening emails on your camera. My Pentax's wifi is the least of my concern when it comes to my devices being compromised.
The camera presents as a server on an ad hoc network and has potential vulnerabilities typical of any server. I would be surprised if it were not exploitable.

Steve
10-04-2019, 10:02 AM   #1947
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I actually think a button to pop out the screen would be really elegant, especially if you're wearing gloves. It can actually be a bit of a pain on the KP currently.
My theory is that the button pops off the rear portion of the prism housing to expose a fitting for an EVF!!!

Steve

(...no, have not been sipping the Kool Aid...just being silly...)
10-04-2019, 10:04 AM   #1948
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
By the way does anyone know how to un-mount my *55 from an iPhone XR?
If you were using a brand-X adapter, you are in deep doo.

Steve
10-04-2019, 10:08 AM   #1949
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The camera presents as a server on an ad hoc network and has potential vulnerabilities typical of any server. I would be surprised if it were not exploitable.

Steve
But wouldn’t that broadly be limited to the level of capability of the real app?

So someone with nefarious intent could hack in and control the camera or read/write to the cards, but all that goes away once it’s turned off, right?

That really isn’t too different from handing someone your phone with the app running and logged in...

Or is there fear basic camera functionality could be broken remotely?

-Eric
10-04-2019, 10:08 AM   #1950
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think they’re the stereo microphones. And @photoptimist beat me.
Closed Thread