Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3229 Likes Search this Thread
10-04-2019, 04:45 PM - 2 Likes   #2011
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
Or 4 micro SD
Please no. SD is a nice balance between miniaturization and usability. Micro SD great for smartphones, MP3 players and other
very small devices, or where the cards don't need to be removed that often. Adding Micro SD slots to a full sized camera would
be a very Sony thing to do.

10-04-2019, 05:04 PM   #2012

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
The K series digital SLR camera currently under development will be exhibited at the "PENTAX Meeting 100th Anniversary Special" scheduled to be held in Japan on September 21st.

|
(click on the images for the full resolution versions at Wifi Commander for Pentax - wireless remote control for your Pentax camera)
  • Model name: to be announced later.
  • Flagship model of our K-mount digital SLR camera equipped with an APS-C size image sensor.
  • Currently under development for market launch in 2020.
  • Price: Not decided.

The third (and forth) dial from the K-1 (II) makes a return and there appears to be a sensor under the viewfinder.
Also noteworthy: An AF-joystick.

Nice.
Taking a cue from the LX brought out for the 60th anniversary, this model should be named C for the 100th
10-04-2019, 05:07 PM   #2013
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
I think we've all got it wrong. It's a fixed LCD with a pop out camera attached.
I think you're right. I also think that's the reason for the curved side of the camera. I believe that's where the hidden button is placed so that you can press it and the camera pops out of the screen. ������

Last edited by totsmuyco; 10-04-2019 at 05:34 PM.
10-04-2019, 05:29 PM   #2014
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
To my eye, an eye who's spend a lot of time cadding, it looks like they've based the cad model very closely on a physical handmade prototype. Possibly even scanned the prototype to get the cad model to match. It's hard to describe but the forms don't naturally come like that from software. I spend my days designing and thinking about such design issues and the impact of design tools on results. I could be wrong but I do have some experience with the issues involved.
Can't this shape also be done using organic shape modeling and T-splines? I've tried making "camera shapes" in a CAD program using just solid parametric modeling and it's (at least I've found it to be) difficult to create these very organic, curved shapes with just simple extrusion/cuts/fillets/chamfers.

You could also laser scan a clay model and then edit the resulting mesh.

10-04-2019, 05:48 PM   #2015
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Please no. SD is a nice balance between miniaturization and usability. Micro SD great for smartphones, MP3 players and other
very small devices, or where the cards don't need to be removed that often. Adding Micro SD slots to a full sized camera would
be a very Sony thing to do.
It may be a "Sony-like thing", but it still may happen at some time ..... the Target store near us is selling micro SD + converters only at the price they were selling the SD card for. Their logic is that micro SD + converter will fit in the slot where I used to put a SD card, so they can inventory just one type of card ..... if that logic spreads, the next step for all cameras will be to just use the smaller slot and use the extra space for some other feature - or to make the camera a tiny bit smaller.
10-04-2019, 05:51 PM   #2016
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I think you're right. I also think that's the reason for the curved side of the camera. I believe that's where the hidden button is placed so that you can press it and the camera pops out of the screen. ������
Another mystery button? Why can't the currently known mystery button, located top left back on the new camera, serve this purpose?
If the LCD/Camera ejector button is hidden as you suggest, then what is the purpose of the exposed mystery button?

One thing's for sure, this new camera is packing some very creative new tech.
10-04-2019, 05:57 PM - 2 Likes   #2017
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
When my daughter was tall enough to reach it, she tried to swipe the television...
For nearly all of my life, I would have interpreted that statement to mean your daughter attempted to steal the television...

10-04-2019, 05:57 PM   #2018
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Except these are not UHS-II micro SD cards - can’t images the price (or heat issues) with doing that. Just be happy if we get the UHS-II card slots finally
10-04-2019, 05:57 PM - 2 Likes   #2019
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
It may be a "Sony-like thing", but it still may happen at some time ..... the Target store near us is selling micro SD + converters only at the price they were selling the SD card for. Their logic is that micro SD + converter will fit in the slot where I used to put a SD card, so they can inventory just one type of card ..... if that logic spreads, the next step for all cameras will be to just use the smaller slot and use the extra space for some other feature - or to make the camera a tiny bit smaller.
I don't doubt it. There certainly is a logic to using the smaller format, but then again, why not smaller buttons and dials? Achieves
the same effect. Ultimately this is a tool meant for human hands. SD cards are already close to that size/convenience threshold.
Micro SD have crossed that line into 'fiddly' territory.
10-04-2019, 06:06 PM   #2020
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
I don't doubt it. There certainly is a logic to using the smaller format, but then again, why not smaller buttons and dials? Achieves
the same effect. Ultimately this is a tool meant for human hands. SD cards are already close to that size/convenience threshold.
Micro SD have crossed that line into 'fiddly' territory.
For me, I'd really only use micro-SD in my phone and Surface tablet. I've never really had a SD become corrupted except by some damage. I've had a 256gb micro-SD become corrupted out of the blue.
10-04-2019, 06:07 PM - 1 Like   #2021
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
For nearly all of my life, I would have interpreted that statement to mean your daughter attempted to steal the television...
I interpreted 'swipe' that way as well, until someone else made a comment about tablets and then it all made (modern) sense.

This past weekend I used two colloquialisms(*) that I had always taken for granted as universal and was very surprised the largely
younger crowd around me didn't know them. The sad part is that I'm not >that< old, (50) and yet it would seem a single generation
is enough to completely loose a familiar phrase or two.

* - "Loaded for bear" and "An elephant never forgets".
10-04-2019, 07:09 PM - 3 Likes   #2022
Pentaxian

Just a little something I threw together because I was curious. Actually kind of an interesting comparison seeing as how these cameras are the most likely competition (in the Nikon arena) for the New K. I'll toss together one for Canon too and then Canon/Pentax/Nikon.

Last edited by MikeyBugs95; 10-04-2019 at 07:19 PM.
10-04-2019, 07:35 PM   #2023

This thread is still only the 6th most relied to in the 'Pentax News and Rumors' folder.
Wonder how far this will get before the camera is actually released.
10-04-2019, 07:39 PM - 6 Likes   #2024
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dan.a.nesheim Quote
This thread is still only the 6th most relied to in the 'Pentax News and Rumors' folder.
Wonder how far this will get before the camera is actually released.
250? 300? I think anywhere from 150-450pgs. It'll probably die down in 4.5-5.6 months.
10-04-2019, 08:04 PM - 4 Likes   #2025
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
250? 300? I think anywhere from 150-450pgs. It'll probably die down in 4.5-5.6 months.
It will die down once the K-New is released, at which point it will be replaced with a lively thread about everything that's
missing/wrong with the new camera and why various folk won't buy it.

Last edited by tvdtvdtvd; 10-04-2019 at 08:30 PM.
Closed Thread