Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3229 Likes Search this Thread
10-05-2019, 09:11 PM   #2056
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
The problem with hypothetical wireless charging is: where the heck will you put the receiving "antennas" on the camera?

Bottom? Right, no charging then when fit with battery grip (the irony...).
Sides? Dangerous.
Prism? LOL
Just put a wireless charging coil on both the base of the camera and the base of the grip. You'd be able to pass the charge through the grip contacts. Fast charge via USB would be much better though.

10-05-2019, 09:11 PM   #2057
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
So you're of the opinion it will be the KP discontinued and not the K70? I might agree with that.
Actually, the KP is a success. IMO Pentax will eventually update the KP with some of the K-new technology as the platform for the DA Limiteds (it already is). I suspect the K-new will justify re-issue of improved DA* zooms to match the 11~18 and compete with K-1.

Pentax Flagships have always been at the low end of the Flagship class. K-new looks like it will be more in the middle of the class, with the newest sensor, much improved AF, a faster processing pipeline, a faster frame rate than K-3ll and better video. KP has a moveable screen. There would be some space between K-new and KP. Their costs in KP are amortized so they can lower the price a little more.

If anything is dropped I wouldn’t be surprised if it is K-70, but I bet they’ll have three APSc bodies for quite some time.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-05-2019 at 09:25 PM.
10-05-2019, 09:16 PM - 1 Like   #2058
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
So you're of the opinion it will be the KP discontinued and not the K70? I might agree with that.
I think there is definitely space for three APS-C models:

Entry level - K-70 and its successor
Compact travel/street enthusiast option - KP
Prosumer safari/sports option - K-new

The question is whether there is room for a second tier of full frame: 24MP sports, or (dare I say it?) mirrorless....
10-05-2019, 09:29 PM   #2059
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote

The question is whether there is room for a second tier of full frame: 24MP sports, or (dare I say it?) mirrorless....
In this market I think a 24Mp FF Action Pentax is a stretch. What would it have over a faster APSc body?

10-05-2019, 09:34 PM - 2 Likes   #2060
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
In this market I think a 24Mp FF Action Pentax is a stretch. What would it have over a faster APSc body?
That's why I said it was a question. Personally, the answer is no. To both options
10-05-2019, 09:51 PM   #2061
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote

I agree, at least for another year or so. The R&D is done, the moulds are made, why not keep them in production if they're still selling?

I think the bigger question is whether the K-70 will see direct replacement. The KP is a much more interesting platform. In any case,
any replacement for the K-70 surely has to take back seat to 645 and FF development.
10-05-2019, 10:50 PM   #2062
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It was posted by someone that the KP was suppose to replace the K-3 series making the K-1 as the only flagship. I can't recall which thread it was. The KP is a fine camera but, the dual card slot and other features missing resulted to a negative reaction.

10-05-2019, 10:59 PM   #2063
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
It was posted by someone that the KP was suppose to replace the K-3 series making the K-1 as the only flagship. I can't recall which thread it was. The KP is a fine camera but, the dual card slot and other features missing resulted to a negative reaction.
As I recall it, one of the folks from Ricoh basically said, “oh, we’re surprised anyone wants an APS-C ‘flagship’ now that we have a full frame ‘flagship’”...

-Eric
10-05-2019, 11:04 PM   #2064
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
As I recall it, one of the folks from Ricoh basically said, “oh, we’re surprised anyone wants an APS-C ‘flagship’ now that we have a full frame ‘flagship’”...

-Eric
I don't recall that quote but it certainly is short sighted. Imagine someone at GM saying, "Oh, we're surprised anyone wants a roadster
now that we have a sedan".

I guess even Ricoh bought into the 'world is going FF' mantra that has been so pervasive the past couple years.
10-05-2019, 11:06 PM   #2065
Pentaxian

There will always be APSC users. I for one don't like to shift to full frame. I just like the system that's all.
10-05-2019, 11:08 PM   #2066
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
As I recall it, one of the folks from Ricoh basically said
I think it was something like that.

This was my take on it back in June.
10-05-2019, 11:33 PM   #2067
Pentaxian

There will be 3 APSC in the line up. I don't know which one will be removed if they plan to. Pentax needs to have an entry level camera. In the last fun run, I saw several entry level Canon and Nikon cameras. The main reason is they are known brands and they come out as the cheapest that a beginner can buy. But financially, I don't know which among their entry level cameras are earning. They have recoup the investments and other manufacturing costs.
10-06-2019, 01:27 AM   #2068
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Imagine someone at GM saying, "Oh, we're surprised anyone wants a roadster
now that we have a sedan".

I guess even Ricoh bought into the 'world is going FF' mantra that has been so pervasive the past couple years.
Does GM actually make a roadster any more?

And Ford decided to stop selling cars (except the Mustang) in its home market since it has plenty of sport utility vehicles to buy...

So maybe not without precedent

-Eric
10-06-2019, 01:40 AM   #2069
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd think that the entry level will be more K-S2 successor than K-70... It's the entriest of them.
10-06-2019, 02:23 AM   #2070
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
The K series digital SLR camera currently under development will be exhibited at the "PENTAX Meeting 100th Anniversary Special" scheduled to be held in Japan on September 21st.

|
(click on the images for the full resolution versions at Wifi Commander for Pentax - wireless remote control for your Pentax camera)
  • Model name: to be announced later.
  • Flagship model of our K-mount digital SLR camera equipped with an APS-C size image sensor.
  • Currently under development for market launch in 2020.
  • Price: Not decided.

The third (and forth) dial from the K-1 (II) makes a return and there appears to be a sensor under the viewfinder.
Also noteworthy: An AF-joystick.

Nice.
Just a few note from me. The audio jacks relocated to the same spot under the same cover, but the mic jack is not labeled with symbol like the earphone jack but 'mic', looks like Pentax is rushing out this prototype without cosmetc refinement. It doesn't look like to me it got a titing screen, or it would be too thin too fragile, I don't need it and I don't need a touch screen either. This model surely has a GPS and I want it more than the flash. There is no photo of the under side, I wonder if it takes the same battery and grip of K3. I don't see the wifi button or I missed ?
Closed Thread