Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3229 Likes Search this Thread
10-17-2019, 06:38 AM   #2851
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
It would be nice to be able to switch between them...

12fps for sports at a lower bit depth then all 16 bits for some pixel-shifted fun...

-Eric
It would be great although I don't know how much advantage the 16bits bring in comparison with the 14bits (I mean if this is quantifiable to give us an idea)

10-17-2019, 06:43 AM   #2852
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote
I think it's less the format but more the resolution.
The reference made to MF by @house made sense because the bit depth is not only relevant for the number of steps available but also with respect to the dynamic range.

If an MF camera does not use all the available space to offer more sensels on the sensor but instead offers larger sensels then those sensels have a larger full-well capacity and hence potentially need more bits to represent the maximum charge (number of electrons).

However, as has been pointed out, high bit-depths are only relevant at low ISO settings.
IIRC, on the K-5, 14bits (e.g., vs 12bits) start to make a very small difference at ISO 80. The higher the ISO setting, the more the LSBs (least significant bits) only record noise.
10-17-2019, 07:35 AM   #2853
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hope they up the movie mode to 4k or 6k and improve the focus.
10-17-2019, 07:46 AM   #2854
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BarrieKM Quote
Hope they up the movie mode to 4k or 6k and improve the focus.
6K? I'm really off when it comes to video. I thought 4k was the best.

10-17-2019, 07:49 AM   #2855
Pentaxian

6 K with apsc, with Pentax...sounds quite realistic? I would not be disapointed if it was little less than that
10-17-2019, 08:00 AM   #2856
Pentaxian

Pardon my ignorance, is there really a 6k video? I'm lost when it comes to video.
10-17-2019, 08:04 AM   #2857
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Pardon my ignorance, is there really a 6k video? I'm lost when it comes to video.
and most of us don't care in general - only a small portion are interested in video from what is, in essence, a camera for stills

10-17-2019, 08:23 AM - 2 Likes   #2858
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unfortunately, and 6K is so last year, they are already working on 8K. I do know this much...that the movie and TV industry no sooner reaches a standard, and the technology industry starts looking for a new reason to make consumers "refresh" which is a nice way of saying to bait consumers into thinking their current stuff is outdated and needs to be replaced by the latest whiz bang.

The manufacturers can no longer survive based on when products die a natural death, they need people to be on the constant upgrade cycle (and you thought it was just software companies, huh...) It doesn't matter that you can't see the difference at normal viewing distance on a typical size screen and will take exponentially more bandwidth to transmit, and with everything going to streaming these days, they are just shooting themselves in the foot... but don't worry, they are working on 5G! And the tin foil hat brigade is already saying we will all have more DNA corruption and diseases than Roundup caused because of all the new 5G towers. Ahhhh... the joys of new tech.

There, now that should generate enough angst for another dozen or so replies.
Just doing my part to help people reach contest entries.
Eric
10-17-2019, 08:27 AM   #2859
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
Unfortunately, and 6K is so last year, they are already working on 8K. I do know this much...that the movie and TV industry no sooner reaches a standard, and the technology industry starts looking for a new reason to make consumers "refresh" which is a nice way of saying to bait consumers into thinking their current stuff is outdated and needs to be replaced by the latest whiz bang.

The manufacturers can no longer survive based on when products die a natural death, they need people to be on the constant upgrade cycle (and you thought it was just software companies, huh...) It doesn't matter that you can't see the difference at normal viewing distance on a typical size screen and will take exponentially more bandwidth to transmit, and with everything going to streaming these days, they are just shooting themselves in the foot... but don't worry, they are working on 5G! And the tin foil hat brigade is already saying we will all have more DNA corruption and diseases than Roundup caused because of all the new 5G towers. Ahhhh... the joys of new tech.

There, now that should generate enough angst for another dozen or so replies.
Just doing my part to help people reach contest entries.
Eric
I doubt if 'professional' videographers use cameras meant for still photography; most of us measure how well they take still photographs, and that is what Pentax focuses on.
10-17-2019, 08:28 AM   #2860
Pentaxian

Of course, 6K and even 8K. There are a few 8K TV sets out there: LG 88Z9, Samsung QE55Q950R, QE65Q950R, QE75Q950R and QE85Q950R, Sony Bravia KD-85ZG9 and KD-98ZG9 for instance

The NHK has an 8K TV channel: BS8K, which broadcasts 8K content 12 hours per day. The Roland-Garros tennis tournament and the rugby world cup were broadcast in 8K locally.
10-17-2019, 08:34 AM   #2861
Pentaxian

Still a lot of TV is show’n in less that 4 K.
10-17-2019, 08:40 AM   #2862
Pentaxian

OMG!!! The world has gone mad. I haven't even learned to maximize the use of the video in my K-3II (an I have no intention of using it)and there's 8k now!!!
10-17-2019, 08:41 AM   #2863
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I doubt if 'professional' videographers use cameras meant for still photography; most of us measure how well they take still photographs, and that is what Pentax focuses on.
The infamous Matrix Bullet Time sequence was made using stills camera's... but that probably isn't the point here. Yeah, I could live without another Blair Witch or the like. Vloggers seem to be a market that Panasonic and Sony are going hard for, I dunno, never thought Pentax should go that route myself. I'm a stills guy for the most part. If I want to shoot vid just for convenience sake, there is always my cell. The part where the Cell lacks is in long tele work.
Eric
10-17-2019, 09:03 AM - 1 Like   #2864
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
6k? 8k?

Dude, I have a K1000

Of course, it only does like 1 frame per second or so...

-Eric
10-17-2019, 09:04 AM   #2865
Veteran Member

The (very few and far between) videos that I shoot are all done with my phone. I am told that the quality of video on my new phone is remarkable. I suppose that I will find out for myself some day.
Closed Thread