Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3229 Likes Search this Thread
10-17-2019, 09:54 AM - 4 Likes   #2866
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
Unfortunately, and 6K is so last year, they are already working on 8K. I do know this much...that the movie and TV industry no sooner reaches a standard, and the technology industry starts looking for a new reason to make consumers "refresh" which is a nice way of saying to bait consumers into thinking their current stuff is outdated and needs to be replaced by the latest whiz bang.

The manufacturers can no longer survive based on when products die a natural death, they need people to be on the constant upgrade cycle (and you thought it was just software companies, huh...) It doesn't matter that you can't see the difference at normal viewing distance on a typical size screen and will take exponentially more bandwidth to transmit, and with everything going to streaming these days, they are just shooting themselves in the foot... but don't worry, they are working on 5G! And the tin foil hat brigade is already saying we will all have more DNA corruption and diseases than Roundup caused because of all the new 5G towers. Ahhhh... the joys of new tech.

There, now that should generate enough angst for another dozen or so replies.
Just doing my part to help people reach contest entries.
Eric
You can practically drink glycophase without harm. Global food production wouuld decline 40% without Roundup - and 100’s of MM’s of people would actually die of starvation. Just as bogus as cell tower radiation cancer.

10-17-2019, 10:05 AM   #2867
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
The reference made to MF by @house made sense because the bit depth is not only relevant for the number of steps available but also with respect to the dynamic range.

That seems to make sense. With more dynamic range it would be beneficial to have more "steps" in between for smooth gradients and more detail.

I'm not sure whether bit depth would expand dynamic range directly as the brightest (a.k.a. blown-out) pixels will always be the brightest ones. I think DR is limited by hardware, but I'm not a sensor engineer. IIRC higher bit rates also improve detail in near-white areas such as clouds because it can show more shades of that bright area which otherwise would fall in to pure white or the next lower shade of grey.

Last edited by sbh; 10-17-2019 at 10:17 AM.
10-17-2019, 10:34 AM - 4 Likes   #2868
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
You can practically drink glycophase without harm. Global food production wouuld decline 40% without Roundup - and 100’s of MM’s of people would actually die of starvation. Just as bogus as cell tower radiation cancer.
*Glyphosate. And no, global production would not decline 40%, it IS toxic (what pesticide isn't...) and Monsanto is basically Evil Megacorp, Inc.

Seriously, anyone I know who works in bioengineering hates their guts because of all of the stuff that they pull. And I will leave it at that because I don't want to derail the thread even further.
10-17-2019, 12:25 PM - 1 Like   #2869
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
*Glyphosate. And no, global production would not decline 40%, it IS toxic (what pesticide isn't...) and Monsanto is basically Evil Megacorp, Inc.

Seriously, anyone I know who works in bioengineering hates their guts because of all of the stuff that they pull. And I will leave it at that because I don't want to derail the thread even further.
Level of Sarcasm has just been taken up a notch. Maybe even couple of notches and a loop.

10-17-2019, 12:35 PM   #2870
Pentaxian

It's already derailed - and nobody seems to care as long as their post counts go up.
10-17-2019, 12:43 PM   #2871
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
It's already derailed - and nobody seems to care as long as their post counts go up.
Are you saying that we only care about post counts? How can you say that? Post counts haven't crossed my mind in October, and won't be on my mind during the next couple of months either. Shame on you...
10-17-2019, 12:47 PM   #2872
Pentaxian

So about that upcoming APS-C flagship...

Twitter

Twitter

Anyone seen these tweets? Just some random 3d prints of the flagship & some KP modifications.

10-17-2019, 12:54 PM   #2873
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote

Twitter

Twitter

Anyone seen these tweets? Just some random 3d prints of the flagship & some KP modifications.
The KP grip looks really really interesting! Yeah, it obscures the front wheel, but it might be worth it for some people. If Ricoh glommed onto the idea, maybe they could come up with a way to mechanically transmit the wheel through to the front. Fun stuff at any rate.
Eric
10-17-2019, 12:56 PM - 1 Like   #2874
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
These 3D prints don't seem to have flippy screens? And if that's the colour of the new camera, ack!
10-17-2019, 12:58 PM   #2875
Pentaxian

Twitter

Twitter

Since I've used the smallest grip since I got the KP ten months ago, I really doubt if I would use this modified grip either.
10-17-2019, 01:03 PM   #2876
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
And if that's the colour of the new camera, ack!
I think that was the color of the plastic he used in his 3-D printer; I believe Pentax will use their regular black plastic.
10-17-2019, 01:14 PM   #2877
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Level of Sarcasm has just been taken up a notch. Maybe even couple of notches and a loop.
I am thoroughly disappointed in myself. I blame the 10 hour working day today
10-17-2019, 01:24 PM - 3 Likes   #2878
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
You can practically drink glycophase without harm.
it IS toxic (what pesticide isn't...)
I would argue that one of the more important aspects against the use of glyphosate is it's over used. Having genetically modified roundup resistant crops allows a farmer to practically spray their fields as much as they can afford and it will not hurt their desired crop.

The over use of glyphosate is known to hurt beneficial insects (bees!), and the runoff of glyphosate into the waterways has many awful effects in the surrounding environments (example: killing native vegetation).

Also, the over use of glyphosate promotes roundup resistant 'super weeds'. Say roundup has a 99.9% efficiency in killing unwanted plants, then that 0.1% with the roundup resistant genome persists and produces seeds that are then also resistant. Perpetuate that trend over years and years and you eventually have many plants that are resistant. Case point: Roundup resistant Kochia is becoming a known problem in Alberta.

Glyphosate can be a powerful supplement to integrated weed management. But it's over reliance is careless and short-sighted.
Techniques such as proper crop rotations, zero tillage, cover crops, fertilizer banding (etc.) should be used in the fore front in weed management, with glyphosate being used minimally.

I can't wait for any further details on specs! :P Nice 3D printed pics!
10-17-2019, 01:32 PM   #2879
Pentaxian

Twitter

Twitter

Those tweets with the green mock-up that looks as if it had been made from the mix dentists use to take an imprint of one's teeth were discussed ad nauseam when published.
10-17-2019, 03:34 PM - 7 Likes   #2880
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If we are going to discuss glycophosphate, might I suggest a thread in General talk?
While this thread is going nowhere, lets at least try to pretend it still about the new camera and have it go nowhere on that topic.
Closed Thread