Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2019, 01:41 PM   #3181
Pentaxian

In case nobody mentioned this earlier, having a built-in flash in your DSLR supposedly flags you as an amateur. I wonder if that's why Pentax has been moving away from including flashes in their higher-end models.

11-01-2019, 02:21 PM   #3182
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ecostigny Quote
In case nobody mentioned this earlier, having a built-in flash in your DSLR supposedly flags you as an amateur. I wonder if that's why Pentax has been moving away from including flashes in their higher-end models.
I thought that was more about compatibility with the gps implementation for the Astro tracer...

But I would happily use a camera with a built in flash professionally...

-Eric
11-01-2019, 02:30 PM   #3183
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
I can understand why a professional photographer wants a "pro" looking camera to ensure the respect of non-photographer clients -- big and black seems like a prerequisite. And I can understand why a street photographer might want a "non-pro" looking camera -- small and silver or colorful might be less intimidating to street subjects.

However, as a hobbyist, I only care about the appearance of the photos, not the appearance of the camera. I'll take function over form any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
I'm one of the few that would actually buy a different colored body. I like me red K-50. I wish I had gotten a yellow K-50 instead of the black one. Oh well.
11-01-2019, 02:59 PM - 2 Likes   #3184
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
I can understand why a professional photographer wants a "pro" looking camera to ensure the respect of non-photographer clients -- big and black seems like a prerequisite. And I can understand why a street photographer might want a "non-pro" looking camera -- small and silver or colorful might be less intimidating to street subjects.

However, as a hobbyist, I only care about the appearance of the photos, not the appearance of the camera. I'll take function over form any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
I agree AFA modern digital cameras, K-1 and KP meet the function requirement combined with good form. I have a silver KP. As a hobbyist / enthusiast, part of the pleasure of cameras is admiring their visual design attributes and the simple pleasure of holding them and hearing them. Consequently if black was available originally, in many cases I have chosen that color because I think it looks better on that camera.

11-02-2019, 01:32 AM   #3185
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I thought that was more about compatibility with the gps implementation for the Astro tracer...

-Eric
I suppose the capacitor of a flash is a big problem for a GPS unit.
11-02-2019, 02:17 AM - 1 Like   #3186
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Can't wait - I will be in the crew of people who 'pre-order' this camera!
Yeah, no matter how it ends up being configured, I'm a total sucker for a brand new Pentax APSC...

---------- Post added 11-02-19 at 05:27 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote

-Eric
I use my flip-up flash for quick fill-flash shots mainly, and I'll miss it. I'll be looking for a super-small shoe-mount flash to park on or near my shiny new KN.
11-02-2019, 02:34 AM - 1 Like   #3187
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't care what others think about built in flashes, body colour, etc. I use the camera that suits my needs and I have reached that age where what others think is not my problem!

11-02-2019, 02:41 AM   #3188
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lack of built-in flash wasn’t an issue for me when I got the K-3II, as I rarely used the unit on the K-5. GPS was much more of an attraction, and so it has proved. I bought the little AF201 flash, but that’s rarely used too.
11-02-2019, 03:05 AM - 7 Likes   #3189
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was somewhat annoyed when the K1 didn't have a flash.... but it seemed to coincide with my retirement home not letting me out after dark anymore (insurance reasons they reckon).... so in the end, Pentax were just being visionary regarding their aging demographic. GPS also helps when I get disoriented on my outings.... so....another case of Pentax being visionary I guess.

My money is on the next flagship coming with a walking stick.... maybe that unmarked button on the back will deploy it from the base. I think they will call it a selfie stick..... so as not to offend the sensitive amongst us.

Last edited by noelpolar; 11-02-2019 at 05:13 AM.
11-02-2019, 04:29 AM   #3190
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
My money is on the next flagship coming with a walking stick.... maybe that unmarked button on the back will deploy it from the base. I think they will call it a selfie stick..... so as not to offend us.
I do seem to recall a small tripod built into a grip many years ago.... maybe they could do a monopod the same way

-Eric
11-02-2019, 04:33 AM   #3191
Pentaxian

I was somewhat annoyed when the K1 didn't have a flash.... but it seemed to coincide with my retirement home not letting me out after dark anymore (insurance reasons they reckon).... so in the end, Pentax were just being visionary regarding their aging demographic. GPS also helps when I get disoriented on my outings.... so....another case of Pentax being visionary I guess.

My money is on the next flagship coming with a walking stick.... maybe that unmarked button on the back will deploy it from the base. I think they will call it a selfie stick..... so as not to offend us.
Good one!
11-02-2019, 04:46 AM   #3192
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I agree AFA modern digital cameras, K-1 and KP meet the function requirement combined with good form. I have a silver KP. As a hobbyist / enthusiast, part of the pleasure of cameras is admiring their visual design attributes and the simple pleasure of holding them and hearing them. Consequently if black was available originally, in many cases I have chosen that color because I think it looks better on that camera.
Of course the visual design is important. When it looks beautiful I get to have a crush on it. That's how a camera would first appeal to me. Then I would look at how it performs. The image quality it produces, the features it has and of course the build quality. Is it a high maintenance camera or not? Just like women. I never liked and have avoided high maintenance women. But a Pentax camera is something really attractive and sexy. When you hold it, it seems that you don't want to let go. Ohhhh that KP is one good looking camera. I don't have one but, I hope I can have one someday. I've held it and its like holding a film camera and I have no complaints. Maybe when i have some spare cash I'll add one to my gears. Referrer.
11-02-2019, 04:49 AM   #3193
Pentaxian

The button is unmarked because it can be configured for releasing the stick but also other options such as flare gun or transmit distress radio signal.
11-02-2019, 04:49 AM   #3194
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
Lack of built-in flash wasn’t an issue for me when I got the K-3II, as I rarely used the unit on the K-5. GPS was much more of an attraction, and so it has proved. I bought the little AF201 flash, but that’s rarely used too.
Built in flash provides some advantages. But I also got my K-3II, I've learned to live without it. Anyway, it's like during the good old fashion manual days. There were no built in flash in the camera.
11-02-2019, 05:00 AM - 1 Like   #3195
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Built in flash provides some advantages. But I also got my K-3II, I've learned to live without it. Anyway, it's like during the good old fashion manual days. There were no built in flash in the camera.
...therefore most Pentaxians, who were already taking pictures 'during the good old fashion manual days', shouldn't be bothered by the absence of built-in flash in Pentax semi-pro cameras.
Closed Thread