Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2019, 01:06 PM   #3301
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
All this talk about camera being too small... What did you people do in film days? Just about all non-pro bodies would have been smaller than today's balloons.
Exactly! the excessive size of DSLRs was probably the biggest hurdle I had to get past in the early digital era. Almost as big as my 6X7 in some of those early models!

11-04-2019, 01:28 PM   #3302
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All this talk about camera being too small... What did you people do in film days? Just about all non-pro bodies would have been smaller than today's balloons.
Film days? I think you must mean after 1975 when the entire industry developed a detish for tiny cameras.
11-04-2019, 01:40 PM   #3303
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Film days? I think you must mean after 1975 when the entire industry developed a detish for tiny cameras.
My first "adjustable" camera was a rangefinder - a Yashica - that I purchased in 1969. The one that followed it was much smaller than my first Pentax, an ME SE, which I purchased in 1979, and which did make the Practika seem large. I'm not convinced the industry developed a 'fetish' for smaller cameras in 1975; based on this month, Adam may put up the Spotmatic for a photo contest in December. Otherwise I would want to 'win' it - then we could see how a Spotmatic compares to today's 'tiny' KP.

Last edited by reh321; 11-04-2019 at 02:37 PM. Reason: I have discovered that the Yashica was larger than I remembered its being
11-04-2019, 01:41 PM   #3304
bxf
Pentaxian

Even before that period (i.e. the days of MX, ME, etc), we had K2, we had FM, FE, Leicas, and others, and compared to today's forms, they were all small and slim, without grips. Oh, those were the days Some years back I bought a Leica Digilux 2, largly because it resembled a "normal" camera.

11-04-2019, 01:51 PM   #3305
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

KP with Battery Grip and large grip is OK, but that defeats the “compact with pancakes” design ethic. I shoot it for travel and snapshots with the medium grip and just deal with cramped fingers and poor button placement. I have a similar opinion of MX; KX suits me better.

K-1 is just about ideal AFA grip and button placement ergonomics.
QuoteOriginally posted by taktoon Quote
Funny thing. I find my hands not bigger than average and still K-1 grip is to thin and not deep enough for me to be perfectly comfortable. On the other side the grip size/shape is not a deal breaker for me so I bought K-1 and I am happy with it. I try to adapt to cameras grips on different bodies (even Sony a7) and I never had major problems with this. I think I will be totally capable of using a KP if Adam send me one next month.
Put the "Super Program" on the left side of my signature photo right next to the KP on the right side of my Signature photo. They almost look like the same camera until you put one next to the other, and then you realize how large the 'small' KP is. I wear medium gloves - maybe they are mislabeled, but I have used the smallest KP grip since the day I got it, and I have absolutely no problem using the 55-300 PLM lens on this "cramped" camera with 'poor' button placement.
11-04-2019, 01:52 PM   #3306
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
My first "adjustable" camera was a rangefinder - a Yashica - that I purchased in 1969. Both it and the one that followed it were much smaller than the first Pentax, an ME SE, which I purchased in 1979, and which did make the Practika seem large. I'm not convinced the industry developed a 'fetish' for smaller cameras in 1975; based on this month, Adam may put up the Spotmatic for a photo contest in December. Otherwise I would want to 'win' it - then we could see how a Spotmatic compares to today's 'tiny' KP.
Even before that period (i.e. the days of MX, ME, etc), we had K2, we had FM, FE, Leicas, and others, and compared to today's forms, they were all small and slim, without grips. Oh, those were the days Some years back I bought a Leica Digilux 2, largly because it resembled a "normal" camera.
Yashica Electro GSN is not a small camera, nor is any of the S-body Pentax (Spotmatic and after) cameras (including KX, KM,K2, K1000, K2DMD), Canon F bodies, Nikon F bodies, anything Contax.

Batteries are the issue with current cameras. SuperProgram even had a grip to house the battery. People complain about the KP battery life - but it has a small battery.

A large grip is only there to house the large battery.
11-04-2019, 01:55 PM   #3307
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Put the "Super Program" on the left side of my signature photo right next to the KP on the right side of my Signature photo. They almost look like the same camera until you put one next to the other, and then you realize how large the 'small' KP is. I wear medium gloves - maybe they are mislabeled, but I have used the smallest KP grip since the day I got it, and I have absolutely no problem using the 55-300 PLM lens on this "cramped" camera with 'poor' button placement.
Good for you. I don’t like the small size of my SuperProgram either. And the KP buttons are in the wrong places.
11-04-2019, 02:04 PM   #3308
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Originally posted by JPT*
Look's like Kimio Tanaka has had his hands on one and he says it feels good - a bit different but firmer than the K-3.

Photo of the Day 11?4?
Firmer? My K-3ii doesn't have a whole lot of give.
Maybe it will be called K-Y after all?

Last edited by BROO; 11-04-2019 at 04:48 PM.
11-04-2019, 02:06 PM   #3309
Pentaxian

Yup, the Leica / Minolta CL comes to mind, that was 1973... My Dad was in recon in WWII in the Pacific much earlier than that... he was given something pretty small to carry, probably something like a Minox Riga... "go to this location lat/long on island xyz, take 5 shots from W, to WNW, to NW. to NNW, and to N, and come back alive, or at least make sure the camera does." I still have some contact prints from that camera he made and saved while practicing with it... they are about the size of a postage stamp... maybe smaller.
Eric
11-04-2019, 02:15 PM   #3310
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Good for you. I don’t like the small size of my SuperProgram either. And the KP buttons are in the wrong places.
My "Super Program" is the camera I measure all others against.

Wrong places?? or do you not use it enough to be used to them.
11-04-2019, 02:17 PM   #3311
Pentaxian

We all have different preferences it is a bit pointless discussion. Or it is not
11-04-2019, 02:31 PM   #3312
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Yashica Electro GSN is not a small camera, nor is any of the S-body Pentax (Spotmatic and after) cameras (including KX, KM,K2, K1000, K2DMD), Canon F bodies, Nikon F bodies, anything Contax.

Batteries are the issue with current cameras. SuperProgram even had a grip to house the battery. People complain about the KP battery life - but it has a small battery.

A large grip is only there to house the large battery.
My Yashica was a "Minister III" - it was all I could afford just after I graduated from college.

In the photo below I put a Pentax-M 50mm on my "KP" to make the cameras more comparable. I haven't handled the Yashica in a long time - it has basically lived in one closet after another after the 'electric-eye' that used to surround its lens came off - and I was surprised to notice that it was as large as the "Super Program" - I had a smaller Canon QL19 rangefinder between them. In any case, the "Super Program" is clearly smaller than the "KP". We used 70-200mm or 70-300mm lenses with it and thought that was normal.

I have never complained about the 'small' battery life of the KP because I have never completely run one from fully-charged to fully-uncharged. Yes, I am different from a professional, but Pentax doesn't call this a professional camera; this "K-3ii replacement" presumably will take on that responsibility.
Attached Images

11-04-2019, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #3313
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by taktoon Quote
We all have different preferences it is a bit pointless discussion. Or it is not
It depends... on how bad you want to win a KP... and discussion about the size and ergonomics of one might be relevant to hard hard you might try to win one.
Eric
11-04-2019, 02:46 PM   #3314
Pentaxian

My Yashica was a "Minister III" - it was all I could afford just after I graduated from college.

In the photo below I put a Pentax-M 50mm on my "KP" to make the cameras more comparable. I haven't handled the Yashica in a long time - it has basically lived in one closet after another after the 'electric-eye' that used to surround its lens came off - and I was surprised to notice that it was as large as the "Super Program" - I had a smaller Canon QL19 rangefinder between them. In any case, the "Super Program" is clearly smaller than the "KP". We used 70-200mm or 70-300mm lenses with it and thought that was normal.

I have never complained about the 'small' battery life of the KP because I have never completely run one from fully-charged to fully-uncharged. Yes, I am different from a professional, but Pentax doesn't call this a professional camera; this "K-3ii replacement" presumably will take on that responsibility.
My Voigtlander Vito B was smaller than those... but it was a leaf shutter IIRC...
E.
11-04-2019, 03:00 PM   #3315
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
It depends... on how bad you want to win a KP... and discussion about the size and ergonomics of one might be relevant to hard hard you might try to win one.
Eric
That's true. I hope at the end of the November raffle Adam will send me a message asking about color and my address.
Closed Thread