Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3229 Likes Search this Thread
09-20-2019, 03:00 PM   #331
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote

please check the bottom right corner of the rear screen :P
Wow 10 pages in before someone else noticed the fingernail pullout of the ARTICULATING SCREEN!!!

So OBVIOUS if one was DESPERATELY looking for this feature.

I feel SO much better now!!

Surely gonna get one.

For now, my KP will suffice in APS-C land.

09-20-2019, 03:05 PM   #332
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Which is more hilarious, that the much-ballyhooed 33/1.0 project ballooned out of control* or that their face-saving project is a 50/1.0 when they've already had 2 iterations of the 56/1.2?

* Meanwhile, their 35/1.4 has had erratic AF since its inception and Fuji, despite the clamoring of its customer base, has done nothing to update the lens.

This is the kind of wastefulness Ricoh has been rightly able to avoid.
X-Pro3 with hidden LCD.

Steve
09-20-2019, 03:08 PM - 2 Likes   #333
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The left-hand side of the camera reminds me of the silver Pentax AP Anniversary mockup they did in 2007:

Source of the picture above: Pentax 50th Anniversary Asahi Pentax DSLR | Digital Photography Review
09-20-2019, 03:13 PM - 1 Like   #334
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
X-Pro3 with hidden LCD.

Steve
Yeah, I'm not digging that, either.

Whaddup with Fuji, they take their dumb pills this summer?

09-20-2019, 03:15 PM   #335
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dericali Quote
Could be video record button? That's what they look like sometimes. .
Label is something like "SFn".

As you noted, the movie icon on the dial next to the LV icon. If the usual conventions hold for Pentax, record start/stop is done with the shutter button.

Steve
09-20-2019, 03:20 PM - 1 Like   #336
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MrNPhoto Quote
The left-hand side of the camera reminds me of the silver Pentax AP Anniversary mockup they did in 2007:
It reminds me of my old K10D.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-20-2019 at 03:31 PM.
09-20-2019, 03:31 PM - 1 Like   #337
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
It appears to be perhaps 10mm taller than a K3, the prism cover seems slightly larger but both could be illusions.
I have my K-3 in hand and while it may be a little taller, I am not thinking that much. One basically needs a straight-on front view to compare using the mount as a guide.

What should be immediately obvious is that the new camera is not a designed as a compact in the same mold as the KP.

Steve

09-20-2019, 03:33 PM - 3 Likes   #338

Put simply, it's a very pretty camera. Like most Pentax cameras have been down the years: compact, svelte, desirable.
09-20-2019, 03:48 PM - 1 Like   #339
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
There won't be a Pentax mirrorless...That market is already over saturated and sales are flat. :deadhorse:

As long as Ricoh Imaging is turning a profit Pentax will continue to exist as a niche product just as Leica continues to exist as a premium niche product. Hopefully it never gets sold to a Chinese drone manufacturer...
LOL... as much as I love my Sony a6300, I'm not completely giving up on my Pentax DSLRs.

I'm not sure sales are as flat for mirrorless as you may think. I think it's good to dip in both areas if your finances allow it, IMHO.

Last edited by doc_taz_nj; 09-20-2019 at 03:48 PM. Reason: MILC brand clarification
09-20-2019, 03:48 PM   #340
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have my K-3 in hand and while it may be a little taller, I am not thinking that much.
You may be right, it's hard to tell. I'll suck it into a CAD package later and see what I can work out.
09-20-2019, 03:50 PM   #341
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrNPhoto Quote

Source of the picture above: Pentax 50th Anniversary Asahi Pentax DSLR | Digital Photography Review
That 50th Anniversary body layout is perfect. I'd take that one.
09-20-2019, 04:10 PM - 1 Like   #342
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Something else I have just noticed: Note the button to the left of the AE Metering button. On the K-1, that button on the very left is the LV (Live View) button. Why would they blank out the LV script on the button?
Here's my guess... That button will be the switchable phase/contrast detect focus system. If you look at the dial by the pentaprism cover (front facing photo) you'll see LV has been moved to that dial.
09-20-2019, 04:19 PM   #343
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by doc_taz_nj Quote
That 50th Anniversary body layout is perfect. I'd take that one.
Yep, vintage K10D, with silver skin and modified top plate (mostly prism housing...no flash). The layout worked well. I particularly liked the green button placement near the shutter release.

Steve
09-20-2019, 04:40 PM - 1 Like   #344
Pentaxian

If that is an articulating screen it has to be the most flat/form fitting articulating screen on the market.

Cool announcement, cool looking camera. For me to consider upgrading to it in the next year or two it'd need at least some of these things:

- An actual HDMI out (not that sorry excuse adapter crap on the KP)

- SR in video mode (This in my opinion is just getting ridiculous. It's been built into the cameras for over a decade and the k-7 could do it, just turn it on Ricoh)

- Higher bit rate in video. KP was better but would still like a slightly cleaner file when lots of things are going on.

- Hybrid Finder. Pretty sure this isn't happening but if it did I'd be very excited for this.

- Dual SD. Redundancy Redundancy Redundancy.

- Peaking while recording would be really nice. Again probably not expecting this.

- Clean HDMI out

- Non crippled mount
09-20-2019, 04:41 PM   #345
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
I'll suck it into a CAD package later and see what I can work out.
Ok, body height appears roughly the same as the K3 (base to top deck).

Screen viewable area: Width is the same, height is a bit lower, maybe 2mm less.
Closed Thread