Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2019, 09:36 AM - 1 Like   #511
Lens Hoarder
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I think Ricoh is going for the retro look of the classic Pentax film pentaprism housing as they did with the K-1. I don't see why the silhouette would have revealed too much though.
That KX photo is my camera!

I suggested the MX prism housing as the new analog.

09-21-2019, 09:40 AM - 2 Likes   #512
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dan.a.nesheim Quote
Me too. And like the K-7, K-5 and K-3, i think they should stick to fixed screen on this one also. Feels more rugged.
That is, if the smartphone app works properly.
Balderdash The tilt screen on the KP is very strong, as is the K-1. If you drop it hard enough to damage that screen, you've dropped it hard enough to damage the camera anyway. The extra time and effort to use a phone app would annoy me a lot.
09-21-2019, 09:46 AM   #513
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Let's keep the discussion friendly. Passions are high as always whenever Ricoh reveals new products. Perhaps even more so as a successor to the K-3ii has been much desired and by many opinion long overdue.

At this time I've deleted "unfriendly" posts rather than issue formal warnings or infractions.
Thursday was heavy - we still hadn't heard anything.
We should be much 'happier' - show much less stress - today.
09-21-2019, 09:50 AM - 1 Like   #514
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
The extra time and effort to use a phone app would annoy me a lot.
and the need for extra hands

09-21-2019, 09:52 AM - 4 Likes   #515

Photos: Gallery
The dial beside the pentaprism

So a dial seems like overkill if you are only making three selections. Some sort of smaller lever could have done the trick for selecting between OVF Live View and Movie mode. It's possible and I think likely that there are more options that are not shown yet.
09-21-2019, 09:56 AM   #516
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hmmm... The shape of the prism. The unmarked button. The mystery of the screen tilty or fixedy.

So many responses in the thread (513 while I am typing this). So many questions. So much speculation. So much excitement.

But I have but one simple question will my images transcend out of the ordinary and into the sublime? .
09-21-2019, 10:02 AM - 1 Like   #517
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
Hmmm... The shape of the prism. The unmarked button. The mystery of the screen tilty or fixedy.

So many responses in the thread (513 while I am typing this). So many questions. So much speculation. So much excitement.

But I have but one simple question will my images transcend out of the ordinary and into the sublime? .
That will depend entirely on the artist within the photographer.

What modern equipment does is give the technician within the photographer tools to do a better job.
I am very happy with the tools provided me by my KP.
09-21-2019, 10:05 AM   #518
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
and the need for extra hands
You just need an assistant to hold the phone.

09-21-2019, 10:17 AM - 2 Likes   #519
Lens Hoarder
Loyal Site Supporter

My Questions

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
Hmmm... The shape of the prism. The unmarked button. The mystery of the screen – tilty or fixedy.

But I have but one simple question – will my images transcend out of the ordinary and into the sublime? .
The screen doesn't really matter under certain circumstances.
  • Which sensor and what version?
  • What's the frame rate?
  • How deep is the buffer?
  • How's the Tracking AF - especially Z-axis?
  • What UHS version?
  • Accelerator Chip or not?
  • What Image Processor?
  • What IBIS enhancements - hand held?
If it really is a Sports camera the configuration would be substantially different than if it isn't. A fixed monitor might be preferable on an Action camera. Consider the possibility the K-1 line is optimized to be the flagship field camera and the APSc flagship is optimized to be a Sports/Action/Birding camera, while KP and K-70 lines are more enthusiast and generalist cameras. FWIW, I really like my second hand K-5lls and KP and just might decide not to buy an Action camera.

IDK whether or where Video fits in there but I never use it so I don't care. Lens release priorities would then follow their line philosophy.

Last edited by monochrome; 09-21-2019 at 10:33 AM.
09-21-2019, 10:40 AM   #520

This is quite exciting. My K-3 has 34000 images already, so perhaps time to move on up.
09-21-2019, 10:43 AM - 1 Like   #521
Intentionally Left Blank
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
<snip>
If it really is a Sports camera the configuration would be substantially different than if it isn't. A fixed monitor might be preferable on an Action camera. Consider the possibility the K-1 line is optimized to be the flagship field camera and the APSc flagship is optimized to be a Sports/Action/Birding camera, while KP and K-70 lines are more enthusiast and generalist cameras. FWIW, I really like my second hand K-5lls and KP and just might decide not to buy an Action camera.
<snip>
Speaking for myself, I'd love a line-up like that.

IMHO, if they did that, I'd think they would need to start updating the telephoto primes.
09-21-2019, 10:53 AM   #522
Forum Member

Holy cow, they fixed by biggest pet peeve with modern DSLR designs, the massive overhang from the pentaprism housing.
09-21-2019, 11:04 AM   #523
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Albert Siegel Quote
I did not talk with them much about future products. Too much going on tonight. I'll try to setup a meeting sometime soon and get an interview or something.
I believe it would be impossible to get an answer to this, but I'd really like to ask them, how long until a K1 version.

I like what I've seen so far, but going back to APS-C...
09-21-2019, 11:05 AM   #524
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The screen doesn't really matter under certain circumstances.
  • Which sensor and what version?
  • What's the frame rate?
  • How deep is the buffer?
  • How's the Tracking AF - especially Z-axis?
  • What UHS version?
  • Accelerator Chip or not?
  • What Image Processor?
  • What IBIS enhancements - hand held?

IDK whether or where Video fits in there but I never use it so I don't care. Lens release priorities would then follow their line philosophy.
You are entirely correct - but we'll have to wait {probably until The Announcement} to get these answers.
09-21-2019, 11:05 AM - 3 Likes   #525

Where did the sports/action/birding camera rumor get started? What is the basis of this rumor? Have any specs been announced other than being APS-C? A new top-tier (flagship) sports/birding camera will be a bit of a dud without top-tier fast telephotos. Are these on the roadmap?

And why can't a sports/action/birding camera be used for general, astro, field or macro photography? And how does a flippy/articulated screen prevent you from taking sports/bird shots?