Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2019, 09:15 AM - 1 Like   #691
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
And if you need them buy from the competition. Pros need those lenses, enthusiasts do not.
Depends on how much of an "enthusiast" your credit card is!

09-22-2019, 09:17 AM - 1 Like   #692
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Depends on how much of an "enthusiast" your credit card is!
Just barely enough for the 150-450...

I've known people who had the Nikon 500/4 or the Sigma 500/4.5. Bought used and then sold on. If you're not shooting from a fixed location they're not practical...But I see lots of Tamron/Sigma 150-600s, Nikon 200-500s, & Canon 100-400s in the field...

Last edited by boriscleto; 09-22-2019 at 09:23 AM.
09-22-2019, 09:19 AM - 4 Likes   #693
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Fourty-four pages in, and normal service has been resumed. The new camera has no flip out screen, one SD card slot, the sensor resolution is too low, the body is too tall, it looks old fashioned, there are too many dials, and not enough lenses...
Yeah and I'm not going to buy one till they are on the market either.
09-22-2019, 09:24 AM   #694
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
It most probably is, apart from some details. Replacing a fixed screen with a hinged one wouldn't be considered as a small modification. For instance the moulds would have to be replaced and the EMR studies would have to be redone from scratch. If so, forget about the camera being launched any time soon.
The photo shows a recess where the screen is. It has a relief on three sides, none on the bottom. That looks to me like a spot for some kind of articulating screen.

I suspect that Ricoh is putting this out there for feedback. Few complaints so far except for the screen, which probably gives them the information they need.

09-22-2019, 09:30 AM - 1 Like   #695
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Yeah and I'm not going to buy one till they are on the market either.
I'm even worse - I'm not buying one until something happens with my K-3 II*

*probably
09-22-2019, 09:30 AM - 6 Likes   #696
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fourty-four pages in, and normal service has been resumed. The new camera has no flip out screen, one SD card slot, the sensor resolution is too low, the body is too tall, it looks old fashioned, there are too many dials, and not enough lenses...
It's a camera with something for everyone - even the doom-mongers
09-22-2019, 09:36 AM   #697
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I'm at least as liely to be wrong as anyone else here, but I'd put my money on the camera we see here being what we get (with a little more paint in places) - so I'd say fixed tuch screen is by far the most likely. (the edges of the glass would be too vulnerable to chipping for a pop out or flippy/articulated.)
You may well be correct. If you are, t can't fathom why the left hand side of the body is flush with the screen, but the right hand side extends further back - so that there's a fairly significant ledge to the right of the display, including that bit at the bottom right that many of us thought was a fingernail indent...

09-22-2019, 09:43 AM   #698
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I'm at least as liely to be wrong as anyone else here, but I'd put my money on the camera we see here being what we get (with a little more paint in places) - so I'd say fixed tuch screen is by far the most likely. (the edges of the glass would be too vulnerable to chipping for a pop out or flippy/articulated.)
I'm with you on what we are seeing being what we get, the body looks too finished in most mechanical details. As for a pop out screen I can see a lot of problems with a contraption like that popping out at an inopportune time and creating problems so I hope we perish the thought of a pop out screen.

Last edited by Larrymc; 09-22-2019 at 09:55 AM.
09-22-2019, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #699
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
And if you need them buy from the competition. Pros need those lenses, enthusiasts do not.
Yeah, but some enthusiasts buy those lenses. And some folks who dream of being pros...

My mother works at a local park, and she’s been amazed at the number of people who have, upon retiring, spent a stack of money on a RV and fancy camera gear, with the hope of earning their post-retirement play money through selling photos of all the places they’ve gone... it rarely works out that way...

But I guess we have them partially to thank for a robust market of lightly used premium gear (at least in those systems)

-Eric
09-22-2019, 09:49 AM   #700
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm even worse - I'm not buying one until something happens with my K-3 II*

*probably
So you are going to buy a lightly used one....right?
09-22-2019, 09:52 AM   #701
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You may well be correct. If you are, t can't fathom why the left hand side of the body is flush with the screen, but the right hand side extends further back - so that there's a fairly significant ledge to the right of the display, including that bit at the bottom right that many of us thought was a fingernail indent...
Un-imagined new ergonomic technology......explains it all!
09-22-2019, 09:58 AM   #702
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
My mother works at a local park, and she’s been amazed at the number of people who have, upon retiring, spent a stack of money on a RV and fancy camera gear, with the hope of earning their post-retirement play money through selling photos of all the places they’ve gone... it rarely works out that way...
I've experienced the syndrome. Mainly people who think owning a Canon 6D and a 24-70 L makes you a pro landscape photographer.
09-22-2019, 10:05 AM - 1 Like   #703
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you!

No, but I'd like to. IQ seems excellent, AF, WR are good things and I don't have that with my current lens lineup.

I'm fortunate enough to own the Tamron Adaptall 300/2.8 & 400/4, and the Pentax A 400/5.6 and K 500/4.5. Nice glass, gives me some variety and allows me to select a specific lens for a specific purpose. And, I enjoy the manual focus process and using old glass that many folks have written off. But there is always this nagging temptation to sell it all off and buy the DFA 150-450, because I'm so impressed with that lens.

Evening fox, K 500/4.5 wide open...

I'm just a hobbyist, and my hobby is using old lenses as well as making photos. Nothing fancy, no National Geographic-level stuff, just me and my Pentax and my local critters.

Welcome. I love the old glass too, and use it quite a bit. Two lenses I need to shoot more of are my A* 200/2.8 and A* 300/4. Don't sell any of the classic glass, but do try to get a hold of the 150-450. I have no regrets shelling out the money for mine. Look for a good sale. The history tool in the deal finder section of this site is a great way to figure out when the price is right: Pentax Camera & Lens Deal Finder
09-22-2019, 10:11 AM - 2 Likes   #704
Pentaxian

Wow, all in all this sounds like quite some effort to dislike some of the possible choices the designers of the proposed new camera might have hinted at with this prototype.
5 to ten years, seriously? what are the chances you want to use this camera in ten years for serious movie taking? And if so, why wouldn't you use a video rig from the beginning?
I like the Kp's tiltable screen, but if a successor of the K3 stays with the legacy of the K3, fair enough; of course this can be disliked.
Anyway, sometimes comments on (future) cameras and personal wishlists get mixed up a little bit. All good, as long as it does not evoke some feeling that criticism becomes an end in itself. That would be getting old.

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Except now one is forced to buy and carry around a smart phone and ensure the battery is charged enough to use (live video streaming is a battery sucker -- video + network streaming) this app.

I'd rather it just be baked into the camera than offloading it to the customer to carry around another gadget.

If they want to incorporate those streaming features into an app as well, great. Just don't make it the mandatory singular choice.

The other issue is what happens to the app in 5 to 10 years? Will it even run on smartphones of that era? Do you end up losing that feature of the camera as a result? No, put it in the camera instead if it is a binary decision.
09-22-2019, 10:13 AM - 1 Like   #705
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Lots of complainers in that forum which you mention here!
Closed Thread