Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2019, 01:47 PM   #976
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Good Grief.......that's the AF/MF (auto focus/manual focus) switch. Or if you are referring to the switch immediately below the made dial its the mode dial lock.
It's the mode dial lock yeah. I didn't know about that feature on the K-3, and I don't see the point of it either. Having a button to push before turning the mode dial (like on my K-5IIs) should be enough to secure the dial. I have never had a problem with the mode dial turning inadvertantly. It would be much more useful for securing/releasing a popout screen. 😁

09-24-2019, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #977
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I suspect baseline would be:

The screen is a touchscreen, and the sensor near the EVF is to disable this when your nose/face is near the viewfinder.
The joystick is to move an AF target within the optical viewfinder, like the current AF points light up.
The screen does not come out.
There is nothing special about the viewfinder.
There is GPS inside.
Video is still 2012 levels, maybe with the higher bitrate of the KP, but nowhere near even 2017 industry standards for bitrate, frame rate, resolution options.
No mechanical stabilisation or focus peaking during video.
A few more AF points, so hopefully able to basic track a bit wider than around the centre of the frame.
No eye AF.

If we start from that position, then anything else is a bonus.

Obviously I'm hoping there are some significant improvements over the now quite old K-3 line.
The KP was an interesting release, sitting between the K-3 and K-70, but the K-3 is well overdue for a full blown replacement.
The K-3 is a beast of a camera, so I can't wait to see where they take it, and hope their design choices really suit my 2020 personal requirements when it's released.
The market looks quite different today than it did back when I purchased My K-100d and K-3 cameras, when Pentax was miles ahead of the alternatives at the time.
09-24-2019, 02:10 PM   #978
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
The chance that we will see a new type, with optical and digital mix finder is realistic.

But I don't believe it in this model.

Maybe next month more about this.

Maybe Pentax will also show the couple of different bodies of the development.
They are different bodies. Just look closely at the two original photos. One has a different pentaprism design to the other.
09-24-2019, 02:10 PM - 6 Likes   #979
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
It's the mode dial lock yeah. I didn't know about that feature on the K-3, and I don't see the point of it either. Having a button to push before turning the mode dial (like on my K-5IIs) should be enough to secure the dial. I have never had a problem with the mode dial turning inadvertantly. It would be much more useful for securing/releasing a popout screen. 😁
The point of it?
People first complained that the mode dial can't be locked - they would move it by mistake. When they had a lock, they complained it was cumbersome.
That lever allows them to choose. They're still complaining, but about something else.

09-24-2019, 02:59 PM   #980
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
They are different bodies. Just look closely at the two original photos. One has a different pentaprism design to the other.
But, of course...it is all coming clear now...

Steve
09-24-2019, 03:56 PM   #981
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow !
This thread sure has grown since I last visited it.
Since I'm too lazy to browse nearly 1000 posts, I just wanted to know:

any news about the specs yet?
09-24-2019, 04:02 PM - 2 Likes   #982
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
any news about the specs yet?
Check back later, post #66237 I think.
09-24-2019, 04:15 PM   #983
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The KP is enough for some of us - why would we pay the extra cost of this new camera?
I would even add that this new camera looks very promising but will not be as cheap as KP is or even used to be once launched.
It is relatively easy to find a KP around 700 USD for some time now, I don't expect this new K to be cheaper than 1400 USD.
Are upcoming new features so essential that we are willing to spend twice as much on them ?
It is an open question as I already own a KP...

09-24-2019, 04:20 PM   #984
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I'm with Mistral75 and am very confident that asahi man just meant to say something along the lines of "If you look closely...".

His subsequent comments unequivocally imply that the camera will cover an unusually large area of the APS-C frame with AF areas.
Often times, the simplest explanation is most likely the correct one.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
I'd say asahi man is making a reference to the two 24x36 cameras currently in development, a mock-up of which Ricoh Imaging could showcase in the near future, he thinks.
Do you have a link where I can read this?
09-24-2019, 04:34 PM - 1 Like   #985
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
Are upcoming new features so essential that we are willing to spend twice as much on them ?
That's a good question.

The KP was never a full K-3 replacement though, so they're not directly comparable.
K-3 had the likes of dual card slots, faster burst and larger buffer, faster max shutter speed etc.

I'd expect this new camera to keep the speed of the K-3 but add in the features from subsequent Pentax cameras like the KP and K-1, eg pixelshift, noise accelerator chip/higher cleaner ISO etc.

If you already own a KP then it's a really valid question as to whether it's worth almost twice the price, but if you've held off a KP because it didn't fit your K-3 upgrade plans, then this is a no brainer.
09-24-2019, 04:35 PM   #986
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
I would even add that this new camera looks very promising but will not be as cheap as KP is or even used to be once launched.
It is relatively easy to find a KP around 700 USD for some time now, I don't expect this new K to be cheaper than 1400 USD.
It is an open question as I already own a KP...
I am also happy with my KP, but there are a number of members who expect certain K-3 features, and this one seems to check all those boxes.
09-24-2019, 05:22 PM - 2 Likes   #989
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
Thanks.
There is no way you can extrapolate that there are two new camera bodies from all the cryptic messages of @Asahi_Man. He is just saying there will be two lines of bodies and with this new APS-C body there will be two complete lines with flagships K-1II and the new APS-C.
09-24-2019, 05:31 PM - 2 Likes   #990
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
Hey BROO please point us to the photos showing two different Penta-prisms, I have looked and I can't find one showing a different Penta-prism.
Closed Thread