Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3229 Likes Search this Thread
09-26-2019, 03:34 PM - 5 Likes   #1156
Pentaxian

You do not get a "sensor dump" even with RAW files.
You would not like a "sensor dump".
The campaign against the accelerator is black, if you wish to see things that way. It doesn't go one way only.
Most have nothing against improved video, just refusing to grill a camera /brand for features they're not using.
Last but not least, repeated mirrorless propaganda is poor taste here, on a DSLR brand forum. That doesn't mean we're against mirrorless, just that we've made a different choice.

09-26-2019, 03:45 PM   #1157
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
No problems with my Samsung NX1 after 18 months, although I never shoot all day with it. I use the EVF for only about a quarter of the time.

BTW, in my valley an EOS RP is about the same money as a KP.
As I said, spend (even just a few hours) with the RP and you'll get my drift. I have. It's not a pleasant experience. I can't speak for a Samsung NX1; I've not used that camera.
09-26-2019, 03:54 PM - 4 Likes   #1158
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

1157 posts later in less than a week and topics and passions from flippy screens to accelerators. One things for sure, this group's got the gift for gab!
09-26-2019, 04:02 PM   #1159
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
You do not get a "sensor dump" even with RAW files.
You know what I mean, raw as in 'hasn't been mucked with too much', which is where some felt the accelerator had over stepped the line.

Most have nothing against improved video, just refusing to grill a camera /brand for features they're not using.
Hey, just to be clear I'm not disagreeing with you.

Last but not least, repeated mirrorless propaganda is poor taste here, on a DSLR brand forum.
You're kinda illustrating the point here. It's not propaganda to just talk about real differences and trends in the overall photographic industry.

Moving on though, have Pentax announced when this new camera will get a name, or they'll be releasing specs beyond the body shape?

09-26-2019, 04:08 PM - 1 Like   #1160
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Moving on though, have Pentax announced when this new camera will get a name, or they'll be releasing specs beyond the body shape?
If they had, there would have been news in the form of a fresh thread, probably in the "official" news section. I would not expect anything of substance, including leaks, until a few weeks before an official product announcement. In the meantime, I am confident that beta testers will be spotted at various large cities in eastern Asia as well as one or more European capitols; all under NDA, of course.

Steve
09-26-2019, 04:27 PM - 2 Likes   #1161
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I am confident that beta testers will be spotted at various large cities in eastern Asia as well as one or more European capitols
Side note, but I remember seeing some sample images (K-1 I think?) taken in Queenstown New Zealand. That was pretty cool to think they'd been close by at some stage.
09-26-2019, 04:39 PM - 1 Like   #1162
Pentaxian

You're kinda illustrating the point here. It's not propaganda to just talk about real differences and trends in the overall photographic industry.
Of course it is, if:
- we already know their advantages and disadvantages
- we've made a different choice
- we're constantly reminded how mirrorless is better, DSLRs are dinosaurs and will die soon

09-26-2019, 04:44 PM - 1 Like   #1163
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

have Pentax announced when this new camera will get a name
Nope, but it looks like one has already been given. Some of the later pictures show black tape over the spot where the name goes.
09-26-2019, 06:10 PM - 6 Likes   #1164
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's not propaganda to just talk about real differences and trends in the overall photographic industry.
Whether or not you call it propaganda, it does get pretty tiresome when you read the same thing in every. single. thread.
09-26-2019, 06:12 PM   #1165
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Nope, but it looks like one has already been given. Some of the later pictures show black tape over the spot where the name goes.
I think it already has a model number if you look at Albert Seigle's photos you can see a strip of black masking tape where the model number has been covered up.
09-26-2019, 06:22 PM - 3 Likes   #1166
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I was really surprised to see this chip involved in RAW files at all. I thought the whole point of RAW was to get a sensor dump, from which you could develop as you wished.
Fully get this in JPG mode, and especially where the likes of Fuji are doing really well incorporating their film emulation modes in camera.

Side note, but Pentax has a real claim to a retro inspired body, given their history of the K1000 and ME etc.
I suspect the KP was intended to mimic this, but right now Olympus has done a better job of this than Pentax.

The Pentax faithful, the Tifosi if you will, has a lot of very staunch members.
At times it feels like a political party site, where you're either with us or against us, black and white styles and no area for grey.

Try mentioning an interest in improving Video capabilities beyond the 2012 era offering on the modern K-1 (?!) , or pointing out that mirrorless cameras have some real benefits (like eye AF, powerful object AF tracking, and digital zoom/focus peaking that make an excellent match when manual focusing older lenses, and are compatible with many legacy mounts from multiple different companies etc).

I agree it's not a sensible approach to score cameras based on tick-box of features, mostly as all users have different personal requirements.
However, DPReview and other sites do have their place, as that's where new users will head to help get purchasing advice, and as a manufacturer you'd be silly not to acknowledge this.

This isn't just a camera story though, and the likes of TripAdvisor and even Instagram play huge roles in where people travel, dine and other such purchasing decisions.
It's a brave or stupid business of any sort today, to ignore the power of social media and online reviews.

Really depends if your focus is to keep producing for the existing customer base, or develop and market to attract and capture new customers to your products.
One of these is much more sustainable long term than the other.
Have you shot with both the K-1 and K-1 II and processed images from both? I own both and I post images from both to the Post Your K-1 Photos here, thread and I would challenge you to identify which images of my images were shot with a K-1 and which with the K-1 II, without viewing the exif. Clearly if the softening of the K-1 II is visible it should be identifiable at web sizes.

Most of the people disparaging the accelerator do not own a camera with it and strangely, the people who own a camera with it don't seem bothered by it. As far as video goes, I think the big issue is that Pentax has tended to use sensors that are a generation or two old meaning that they aren't as capable from a video standpoint as the most recent releases from Sony are. That along with PRIME processor, which is also fairly long in the tooth.

It looks as though both of those are changing with this camera meaning that perhaps video will improve, although it will never be Pentax's primary focus.
09-26-2019, 06:31 PM   #1167
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
Same provisos as to scale, much easier on a cutaway.

This version of a hybrid viewfinder doesn't seem to fit.
They may have redesigned it to work off E not D for packaging reasons. This would explain the pronounced hump forward of the hot shoe.
09-26-2019, 06:48 PM   #1168
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Have you shot with both the K-1 and K-1 II and processed images from both?
Heck no, but wish I had

I'm just saying I agreed with Class A that the public perception of this was unfortunate, and that I was surprised to see noise reduction applied to RAW files too.

Fully expect the accelerator to be present on this new K-3 replacement, along with pixel shift etc.
09-26-2019, 06:54 PM   #1169
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
This would explain the pronounced hump forward of the hot shoe.
So perhaps would a GPS chip.

I guess that my point was that the shape hasn't as yet given anything away for sure other than an LCD overlay is a LED focus point array is unlikely.

It is possible that whatever was going to be given away by the silhouette has been abandoned for this model or that we are just too stupid to figure it out. Who knows.
09-26-2019, 07:15 PM - 1 Like   #1170
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
So perhaps would a GPS chip.

I guess that my point was that the shape hasn't as yet given anything away for sure other than an LCD overlay is a LED focus point array is unlikely.

It is possible that whatever was going to be given away by the silhouette has been abandoned for this model or that we are just too stupid to figure it out. Who knows.
I think the hump has the stuff that would normally be stuffed into the prism overhang that is blessedly absent in this design.

Steve
Closed Thread