Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3229 Likes Search this Thread
09-26-2019, 07:15 PM - 4 Likes   #1171

QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
Same provisos as to scale, much easier on a cutaway.

This version of a hybrid viewfinder doesn't seem to fit.

Usually, these drawings are drawn with magnification or exaggeration of key points.

The important point is that the previous indicators were straight, but the hybrid viewfinder did not come out in front of the condenser lens.

This is consistent with the new body's head not sticking out more than before.

---------- Post added 09-26-19 at 07:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
Thanks lhsms2

Would you be able to summarize some of this and explain how it relates to the new ASP-C flagship?
1. Contrast af patent using light meter

2. Patent of pentaprism with small phase difference between s-polarized light and p-polarized light with large incident angle
-Patent for 1

3. Patented matte screen that can increase the amount of light by applying a specific pattern
-Patent for 1

4. Half mirror device patent with little color change

5. Patent to simplify and miniaturize quick return mirror shock absorber

6. Patented modified mirror structure to reduce mirror driving speed

I don't know which of these apply~~

09-26-2019, 07:26 PM - 5 Likes   #1172
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
We will just have to agree to disagree on that.
Not sure how you disagree with it right here in the picture. See the curved lip? The notch you are seeing is just the inside surface of the lip. It can't possibly curve out like this AND notch inward. Pretty hard evidence if you ask me. I mean seriously, where did all these blind photographers come from?

09-26-2019, 07:35 PM - 4 Likes   #1173
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zephos Quote
The notch
We can always add eyewitness testimony:

QuoteOriginally posted by Albert Siegel Quote
I can confirm that the little notch in the photo is an illusion due to the angle and light. It's actually going out rather than in and under the screen (the right panel extends out). This in-develpment model does not have an articulating screen. Yes, I have seen this in up close in person. Please note that this does not mean the final version will not have it.
09-26-2019, 07:44 PM   #1174
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lhsms2 Quote
Usually, these drawings are drawn with magnification or exaggeration of key points.
Yes, certainly. Only we don't know what is or isn't exaggerated.

I would say:

The important point is that the previous focus point indicators were straight, the new body's head not sticking out more than before is consistent with their removal.

The shape of the new body does not confirm or deny a hybrid viewfinder.

09-26-2019, 07:51 PM   #1175
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The shape of the new body does not confirm or deny a hybrid viewfinder.
Yes but it is sufficient to raise ones curiosity?
09-26-2019, 07:59 PM - 1 Like   #1176
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
Yes but it is sufficient to raise ones curiosity?
Yes, but if not for the hybrid viewfinder patent the change would be sufficiently explained by an LCD overlay and GPS.

At this point it is my firm opinion that there may or may not be a hybrid viewfinder.
09-26-2019, 08:15 PM   #1177
Veteran Member

At this point it is my firm opinion that there may or may not be a hybrid viewfinder.
I couldn't agree more.

09-26-2019, 08:16 PM   #1178
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Yes, but if not for the hybrid viewfinder patent the change would be sufficiently explained by an LCD overlay and GPS.

Agreed...

Note too that the patent concerns both an overlay behavior (mirror down) as well as as a mirror-up behavior. My feeling is that we may see the overlay to support focus point selection (note there is another patent for enhanced presentation of such).

It should also be noted that most patents are protective in nature toward potential development and are not indicative of proven concept. A replacement display such as described would come at a price, that of having a partially silvered surface on the prism with resultant decrease in performance as an OVF. Whether the result is satisfactory is hard to envision.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-27-2019 at 10:57 AM.
09-26-2019, 08:47 PM - 1 Like   #1179
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

See the curved lip?
Exactly. The same curve is at the top, but they didn't re-shape the screen surround there. It just curves down cleanly to meet the screen with a small air gap (as it does all the way round. It would do the same at the bottom but they chose to reshape the back plate and reshape the base plate as well. It looks to me like there is a air gap between the screen and the body. How deep that goes, I wouldn't know. But it would not seem a smart design for a fixed screen.

The image below is the evidence I see with eyes. I don't know why they chose to design the bottom right corner this way. But they did. And all I know is what I can see. I don't think it is worth debating further. We will know soon enough.

09-26-2019, 09:31 PM   #1180
Pentaxian

Exactly. The same curve is at the top, but they didn't re-shape the screen surround there. It just curves down cleanly to meet the screen with a small air gap (as it does all the way round.
You will see the same shape on the top too, but the image would have to be captured from below for you to see it. And then you would not see the shape at the bottom instead.
QuoteQuote:
It would do the same at the bottom but they chose to reshape the back plate and reshape the base plate as well. It looks to me like there is a air gap between the screen and the body. How deep that goes, I wouldn't know. But it would not seem a smart design for a fixed screen.
The thing is that they did not reshape the back, they re-used much of it from tbe K3 design, which explains why it looks like it do.
QuoteQuote:
The image below is the evidence I see with eyes. I don't know why they chose to design the bottom right corner this way. But they did. And all I know is what I can see. I don't think it is worth debating further. We will know soon enough.[
There us a simple explanation for this. The design is like this because they re-used much of the design on the back from K3, but the prototype has a wider screen than on K3. So to be able to fit the screen they choosed this design.

There is no air gap between screen and body it is just the the screen is flush with the back. So it looks worse than it is.

Don't forget that this is a prototype, so the design may not be finished, and there may be many details they need to fine tune before the production of the camera start.

Last edited by Fogel70; 09-26-2019 at 09:58 PM.
09-26-2019, 10:40 PM - 1 Like   #1181
Veteran Member

Exactly. The same curve is at the top, but they didn't re-shape the screen surround there. It just curves down cleanly to meet the screen with a small air gap (as it does all the way round. It would do the same at the bottom but they chose to reshape the back plate and reshape the base plate as well. It looks to me like there is a air gap between the screen and the body. How deep that goes, I wouldn't know. But it would not seem a smart design for a fixed screen.

The image below is the evidence I see with eyes. I don't know why they chose to design the bottom right corner this way. But they did. And all I know is what I can see. I don't think it is worth debating further. We will know soon enough.
You are still looking at the image that is misleading, because of the perspective. It is an optical illusion, but all you are seeing is the horizontal surface inside the curve. This image is more clear:
09-27-2019, 01:14 AM   #1182
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is an optical illusion
We see it differently. That's all. Personally, I don't care how anyone else views it. I have no more to say.
09-27-2019, 02:03 AM - 8 Likes   #1183
Pentaxian

One can stubbornly argue that the water is dry. Just don't blame the water company for delivering wet water.
09-27-2019, 02:12 AM - 2 Likes   #1184
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The model they have shown evidently has a fixed screen as there is no mechanically sound way to make it pivot (unless it's spring loaded but that would be awkward to say the least). However, I'm still irked by the the top and back plates *clearly* not being flush with each other at the left back corner. There's a ledge there for picking up grub that is most likely indicative of the good old "one piece is final, the other is not". I'm betting on some changes to the outer shell from now to final production.

I still think that until we see the final product any and all discussions here are academic at best.
09-27-2019, 04:56 AM - 4 Likes   #1185
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This camera is, no doubt, and engineering model. Probably custom made in a model shop. Since everyone knows how to make a flip out screen it is not necessary to have one on an early engineering model. They are testing other technologies and are more interested in that than a flippy screen. In another life in the ancient days I used to test engineering models for a living so this is where I am coming from.

FWIW, I even see a crack in the body in the area that everyone is speculating about. What is the significance of that?
Closed Thread