Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3229 Likes Search this Thread
09-27-2019, 02:08 PM   #1216
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I think the China-market Mercedes C280 from a few years ago has the same 2.5l engine as the C250 sold everywhere else for the same reason...

But I can’t think of any good examples in English. The language must just be too much of a mutt to allow that...
Most Americans would probably avoid an item with "666" in the name.

09-27-2019, 02:23 PM   #1217
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I'm not saying it's finished. It might be a working prototype for external testing (by collaborating photographers), and still the final product might have slight differences. I have no way of knowing.
I'm saying it looks too detailed for a mere engineering sample, and clearly way beyond the 3D-printed phase. I would believe if they'd told me it is pre-production.

FTR - if I'm not mistaken someone else already made this point - the K-1 was first shown as a 3D printed model while it was expected to be launched by the end of the same year.
Is this camera in a more advanced stage?
A 3D printed model of what would become the K-1, without any markings, was shown at CP+ 2015 with a tentative availability date of 'End of 2015'.

A working sample / pre-production model, with the model name taped (rings a bell...), was briefly shown under glass on the first day of PhotoPlus Expo (22nd of October), then taken away. It was shown, again under glass, during the Salon de la Photo in Paris (5-9 November) with a revised and still tentative availability date: 'Spring 2016'.

The K-1 was announced on the 18th of February 2016, just before CP+. Availability date was said to be 'April 2016'. It became available on the 28th of April.
09-27-2019, 02:40 PM   #1218
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
(...) if Mistral75 is right and the camera is not to be released until the beginning of 2020 (...)
Ahem... I'm not the source of this release date...

QuoteOriginally posted by Ricoh Imaging:

PENTAX K mount digital SLR cameras (sic)

・Model name: to be announced later
・Flagship model of our K-mount digital SLR camera equipped with an APS-C size image sensor
・Currently under development for market launch in 2020
・Price: Not decided
Source: The K series digital SLR camera currently under development will be exhibited at the PENTAX fan event. | RICOH IMAGING
09-27-2019, 02:46 PM - 2 Likes   #1219
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I think the China-market Mercedes C280 from a few years ago has the same 2.5l engine as the C250 sold everywhere else for the same reason...

But I can’t think of any good examples in English. The language must just be too much of a mutt to allow that...

Otherwise, it would be a little fun to take photos with a Nikon Catastrophe or a Canon Pathetic...

Closest I can think of was the Minolta Maxxum (Dynax) with fuzzy logic in the autofocus system. Does anyone want fuzzy anything in the autofocus system?

-Eric
The Mitsubishi Pajero had its name changed in Spain for reasons that are probably best left to Google Translate

More recently, the Hyundai Kona was commercialized in a region where a very similar word, coincidentally pronounced the exact same way, is also a very graphic feminine noun...

09-27-2019, 02:52 PM   #1220
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Most Americans would probably avoid an item with "666" in the name.
With the possible exception of those with a mathematical or Chinese background.

It’s a far more interesting number than one interpretation of a passage in Revelations (or Alistair Crowley) would have it.
09-27-2019, 03:00 PM   #1221
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Most Americans Christians would probably avoid an item with "666" in the name.
666 is the mark of The Beast (Revelation 13: 16-18. It Is a mark of a false prophet required to placed on the right hand or forehead during the Tribulation (after the Rapture). Generally 666 denotes the onset of End Times. 666 was thought to indicate Nero as a numerical sum value of the characters in his name. Then there is the Seventh Seal . . .

And I see RobA_Oz beat me by a few minutes.

IIRC the Chevy Nova translated to No Go in Spanish.

Last edited by monochrome; 09-27-2019 at 03:10 PM.
09-27-2019, 03:35 PM - 3 Likes   #1222
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
666 is the mark of The Beast (Revelation 13: 16-18. It Is a mark of a false prophet required to placed on the right hand or forehead during the Tribulation (after the Rapture). Generally 666 denotes the onset of End Times. 666 was thought to indicate Nero as a numerical sum value of the characters in his name. Then there is the Seventh Seal . . .

And I see RobA_Oz beat me by a few minutes.

IIRC the Chevy Nova translated to No Go in Spanish.
So if it’s the Pentax 666, we know for sure Pentax is doomed...

-Eric

09-27-2019, 04:13 PM - 1 Like   #1223
Pentaxian

Honda once launched a model named Fitta, but quickly renamed it to Jazz when they were told that 'fitta' in norwegian and swedish is a very rude word for women's private parts.
09-27-2019, 04:21 PM - 1 Like   #1224
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
Honda once launched a model named Fitta, but quickly renamed it to Jazz when they were told that 'fitta' in norwegian and swedish is a very rude word for women's private parts.
And "jazz" originally meant "semen". So what's the advantage of the switch?
09-27-2019, 06:00 PM   #1225
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
The Mitsubishi Pajero had its name changed in Spain for reasons that are probably best left to Google Translate

More recently, the Hyundai Kona was commercialized in a region where a very similar word, coincidentally pronounced the exact same way, is also a very graphic feminine noun...
I've been in the computer industry too long... back in the day, many Asian companies honored the family matriarch in their business or product names, like SMS computers was an acronym in the USA for Sun Moon Star over seas, and DFI computers was Diamond Flower Industries. Going way back, what we called the Datsun 280z in the US was the Fairlady over seas. Different cultures, different ways of thinking and marketing. All I care is if it will mount my k-mount lenses and perform as expected... I have a fresh roll of black electrical tape to take care of any wayward badges.
Eric
09-27-2019, 06:40 PM - 3 Likes   #1226
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, we have had a *ist . Maybe this one will be a *isn't in anticipation of all the flak it will no doubt attract.
09-27-2019, 06:59 PM - 2 Likes   #1227
Pentaxian

@Mistral75, don't look now but you're famous. You've been quoted as a source on PentaxRumors.
09-27-2019, 07:12 PM   #1228
Pentaxian

OMG! This name guessing thread is getting out of proportion. PENTAX!!!! GIVE US THE NAME OF THIS CAMERA!!!!
09-27-2019, 07:39 PM - 1 Like   #1229
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
OMG! This name guessing thread is getting out of proportion. PENTAX!!!! GIVE US THE NAME OF THIS CAMERA!!!!
It will be just as sweet, whatever the name.
09-27-2019, 08:03 PM   #1230
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
@Mistral75, don't look now but you're famous. You've been quoted as a source on PentaxRumors.

ROFL!

Tell me it isn't so!

Steve
Closed Thread