Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3229 Likes Search this Thread
09-20-2019, 08:06 AM   #181
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
It should be possible with a oled/lcd overlay on the focussing screen that functions in mirror-up mode.
OK, so an extension to live view. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Steve

09-20-2019, 08:09 AM   #182
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This has popped up in several Facebook groups. Nothing but complaints about it not being mirrorless, or that it's a K-mount camera and not L-mount or etc...
09-20-2019, 08:09 AM   #183

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Yay!

Now where’s my 70-200 f4?

-Eric
The Pentax 70-200mm f/2.8 costs about the same as the Canon or Nikon 70-200mm f/4. That is why Pentax does not have one. The need does not exists.

For Cankon, the f/4 is only a less expensive alternative to the f/2.8. The Pentax f/2.8 qualifies as the “less expensive alternative.”
09-20-2019, 08:10 AM   #184
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
I do understand what you are saying but when you quote a question from a forum member wouldn't it be polite to address that question?
Otherwise why quote it?
I felt I was answering it.
For an announcement, precision/correctness is important.
For a pre-announcement, 'illustration' is good - 'precision'/'correctness' has no real meaning.

09-20-2019, 08:11 AM   #185
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Like all good pre-marketing, this is a tease.
Yes right in line with my predictions earlier in the week. I just thought I would be worth asking forum members if the pentaprism design differs in the two photos. Or is it just my eyesight?
09-20-2019, 08:14 AM   #186
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Thanks. They make it hard to find. I looked here.
HOME | RICOH IMAGING
Same place as usual: on the bottom right, on top of 'Event/Service news'.
09-20-2019, 08:17 AM   #187
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The body is cleaned up a bit compared to the K-3. The K-3 has plenty of bumps and sort of odd bits, like it's mutated over time. Perhaps its the view but I can't see the focus motor bump on the new body. It does look a lot like a finished product.

That little nick in the lower right corner of the LCD can't be a flip out screen. You'd have to, as mentioned above, save a nail long to flip it out makes no sense and certainly not Pentax like.

Overall the new design looks even more hunkered down and tool like than previous models. Nice evolution.

09-20-2019, 08:20 AM   #188
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
Yes right in line with my predictions earlier in the week. I just thought I would be worth asking forum members if the pentaprism design differs in the two photos. Or is it just my eyesight?
Looks to me like an MX prism housing. I think the second set is low res and the light is fooling you - can’t see the roll over the top.

Go HERE for a Hi-res image. It is too large to hot link.

Last edited by monochrome; 09-20-2019 at 06:57 PM.
09-20-2019, 08:20 AM - 1 Like   #189

Holy crap, a proximity sensor below the viewfinder? My K-3 is basically a perfect camera for me, but my only major complaint with it has been that there is no proximity sensor to shut off the screen. I'm a left eye shooter, and there's nothing more annoying than my giant nose hitting a button and turning on the screen which blares into the viewfinder making it really hard to see.
09-20-2019, 08:21 AM   #190
Pentaxian

Great news for Pentax users. Finally an APS-C camera coming that you can get exited about. The AF joystick is promising! Undoubtedly a new SAFOX module and new processor generation. I hope it will be a great one! APS-C dslr cameras have some life left in them yet, I am about to get the Canon 90D myself, which appears a superb mid class camera, but Canon top class aims high. I would seriously like to have both these cameras!
09-20-2019, 08:22 AM   #191
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
For an announcement, precision/correctness is important.
For a pre-announcement, 'illustration' is good - 'precision'/'correctness' has no real meaning.
Well that is a bit out of step with the forensic analysis of the images posted on the forum so far today? But I do agree.

I will take from this that you agree there is a difference in the pentaprism design from the two photos?
09-20-2019, 08:22 AM - 1 Like   #192
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Could somebody please explain to me the frequent mention of hybrid viewfinder? Hybrid optical/EVF is the signature feature of Fuji X-series, but is impossible, of course, with reflex viewing (the "R" in SLR). Is the suggestion an extension of live view?

Note: I am aware of the 2017 patent for course image projection onto the optical image.

Steve
A hybrid viewfinder is not incompatible with the "R" in SLR. When the mirror is up and the OVF is black, the EVF would be active and using the data from the sensor in live view. There are several possible electro-optical designs for injecting, projecting, or reflecting an EVF image into the the OVF optics.

Such a hybrid VF could offer multiple modes. One mode -- MILC mode -- might be like live view with the mirror up, the sensor running full time, and a live image in the VF. A second mode -- shot review mode -- would leave the camera in OVF mode except when the user shoots an image (either normal shutter button or digital preview) and the mirror is left up for an extra second or two with the EVF showing just that one shot. Other hybrid modes might control whether the camera flaps the mirror in continuous shooting or runs in EVF mode during continuous shooting.

Last edited by photoptimist; 09-20-2019 at 08:34 AM.
09-20-2019, 08:22 AM   #193

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
"Ricoh/Pentax has no plans to announce a new camera this fall"

Instead, they announce on the last day of Summer

Well played, Ricoh, well played.

Steve

(...wondering how much they paid that blogger, Jen, in Colorado...)
There was no plan of a new camera FOR this fall, and the 100th anniversary, but they had previously announced a new flagship APS-C for Spring of 2020. The news here is not that it is coming, but that this is what it may look like.

Last edited by Logics; 09-20-2019 at 09:17 AM.
09-20-2019, 08:22 AM   #194
Veteran Member

My only "issue" with Pentax today is the AF, i would like to be fastest (Center point is good, but eye AF for kids and moving person can make my work way more easier), that Joystick give me hopes, i would like to see a huge improvement in that area and then see that tech exported to a FF camera, otherwise i maybe jump ships to Sony or Nikon mirrorles, prove me wrong Ricoh.
09-20-2019, 08:22 AM - 2 Likes   #195
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Maybe, but hell for those with no fingernails to mention.
Maybe the accessories in the box will include a slip-on fingernail to open it?
Closed Thread