Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2019, 06:50 PM   #361
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Why would they use CF? There hasn't been a Pentax with CF since the *ist D.
I dunno, just thought I'd throw that out there. Are there any cameras that currently use CF? I swear maybe a year ago or so I came across a ranting YouTube video about some manufacturer still using CF. I could be wrong though, days are becoming blurs to me lol

09-20-2019, 06:52 PM   #362
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
This is clearly visible if the rear view is magnified. Looks like a "hook it out with your fingernail" job. Maybe it flips up. Maybe it flips out horizontally so you can use it with a selfie stick. I might find some use for a flip up screen but it would not be a deal breaker for me. Other than that, there is a lot of stuff on that body. It will be interesting to see the preliminary specs.
I think this is just the way the body design resolves the issue of bringing the body lines together at this point of the camera. There are a lot of contours coming together. I think the screen is fixed.

What intrigues me more is the hump on the pentaprism just after the hot shoe. It looks different in the two photos. I wonder what they may be covering up?
09-20-2019, 06:55 PM   #363
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jlstrawman Quote
Despite this being great news, let's see how long it takes for someone to complain.
What no pop-up flash ?
09-20-2019, 06:59 PM   #364
Veteran Member

Would you really need a proximity sensor near the viewfinder to turn off a touchscreen? I would think it may be more useful to turn something on in the viewfinder?

09-20-2019, 07:00 PM   #365
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
What no pop-up flash ?
The K-3ii didn't have one.
Why would you need the weak point-source light???
09-20-2019, 07:06 PM - 2 Likes   #366
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
Would you really need a proximity sensor near the viewfinder to turn off a touchscreen?
It would seem infeasible to have the touchscreen operating with someone's beak poking against it while they are looking through the viewfinder.

It seems equally implausible to leave the deactivation of a touch screen as a manual operation to be performed by the user.

That said, I don't know if the screen is a touch screen. Just in case it is, a corresponding proximity sensors seems like a must have.
09-20-2019, 07:09 PM - 1 Like   #367
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
I think this is just the way the body design resolves the issue of bringing the body lines together at this point of the camera. There are a lot of contours coming together. I think the screen is fixed.

What intrigues me more is the hump on the pentaprism just after the hot shoe. It looks different in the two photos. I wonder what they may be covering up?
Look at an enlarged version of the Hi-Res image HERE. You can hook a finger under the corner of the LCD - there is clearly an intentional design element there. Look at the wider black bar on the left side of the LCD - a hinge should be under there.

Mistral75 rather vigorously pointed to the catch up thread - 16 pt. Red arrow.

09-20-2019, 07:12 PM - 1 Like   #368
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Look at an enlarged version of the Hi-Res image HERE. You can hook a finger under the corner of the LCD - there is clearly an intentional design element there. Look at the wider black bar on the left side of the LCD - a hinge should be under there.

Mistral75 rather vigorously pointed to the catch up thread - 16 pt. Red arrow.
Otherwise there would be no reason at all to have the small triangular indention there! People sometimes just can't grasp the obvious!
09-20-2019, 07:16 PM   #369
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok, folks its now 11:16 am Tokyo time when does the showing get started over there??
09-20-2019, 07:18 PM   #370
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The K-3ii didn't have one.
Why would you need the weak point-source light???
Fill flash for backlit outdoor, and off camera flash command are the usual reasons given.
09-20-2019, 07:18 PM   #371
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
The blank button at the top left beside the metering mode button would be the switchable phase/contrast detect AF button.
Or it might be the missing Fx button.

The color of the viewfinder (to me) is yellowed due to the inlay for displaying digital data through the optical path (hybrid viewfinder).
Or it might simply use the same SMC coating seen in some photos of the K-1 where a similar yellowish tone in present. (Ditto for the K-3.)

Also, from the original patent the shape and height of the viewfinder matches the shape that was needed to bounce the different paths for the switchable phase/contrast AF while using the viewfinder.
Which patent is this? Are you referring to this item from 2016 where the RGB meter sensor is potentially used for CDAF?

Ricoh's patent for contrast AF by the AE sensor - Pentax Rumors
The link to the blog post with detail information was dead.

FWIW, the viewfinder shape and height look a lot like that on my K-3, though I gotta admit, I really like the new eyecup design.

Sorry to be a hard sell here, but what is the evidence that switchable PDAF/CDAF has been in the mix any more than any of the other patents filed and noted by rumor sites in the last few years? In addition to the above, those applicable to cameras include:*
  1. Improved live view display
  2. Random pattern improved SLR focus screen
  3. Automated camera registration via Wi-Fi
  4. Better AF area display indicators
  5. Full monochrome image sensor
  6. Tilt-able sensor suspension (!) ala view camera movement
  7. Sophisticated improvement for SLR focusing screen
  8. OVF/EVF switchable hybrid viewfinder (apparently a method to superimpose electronically-derived elements onto the optical image formed on the focus screen. I.e. a true hybrid reflex VF. Very cool if implementable. I may be wrong, but I believe the focus point indicators use on my K-3 use something similar.)
From my perspective (and personal desires), of the above, I might expect implementation of the live view and focus screen improvements (#s 1, 2, 4, and 7) with outside possibility for #s 6 and 8. #6 would be amazing, particularly if combined with touch screen to define two focus points for near/far, but might require corresponding in-lens tech to do true Scheimpflug.

I would also love to see vastly improved PDAF on a par with the D500 and, taking a cue from Nikon, supporting such with a dedicated AF processor board. Dreams will be dreams, eh?

Steve

(...still holding out for K-cup support...)

* I am usually not into those sort of things, but have been following a few from the list since they were first discussed on this site.
09-20-2019, 07:32 PM   #372
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Look at the offset of the screen to the right based on the wide bar on the left side of the screen. My guess is a hidden set of hinges behind the wide bar.
What I just noticed by enlarging the view on this computer as far as possible, at the lower right corner of the screen, near the "INFO" button, the body has a very small cutout that is probably for a fingernail to lift the screen or break the fingernail.
09-20-2019, 07:37 PM   #373
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Otherwise there would be no reason at all to have the small triangular indention there! People sometimes just can't grasp the obvious!
It is way too small to lift with a finger or finger nail. Pentax would never design something like that.

---------- Post added 09-20-19 at 07:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
It would seem infeasible to have the touchscreen operating with someone's beak poking against it while they are looking through the viewfinder.

It seems equally implausible to leave the deactivation of a touch screen as a manual operation to be performed by the user.

That said, I don't know if the screen is a touch screen. Just in case it is, a corresponding proximity sensors seems like a must have.
Does Nikon use a proximity sensor on the D 850 to resolve this issue?
09-20-2019, 07:42 PM   #374
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
What I just noticed by enlarging the view on this computer as far as possible, at the lower right corner of the screen, near the "INFO" button, the body has a very small cutout that is probably for a fingernail to lift the screen or break the fingernail.
Yeah, I guess it is a adjustable screen. we should know more details in the next few hours becasue the official meeting will be today and it is 11:42 now in Tokyo.
09-20-2019, 07:47 PM   #375
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
If you look at the contours of the body above the screen to the right you will see it curves. The bottom of the body does the same. The designers have made a small niche to bring these curves together at the bottom. The niche is too small to be useful in pulling out a screen. I think it is just wishful thinking on behalf of some here.
Keep in mind that this is probably a sports/ birding camera. No need for articulated screen.
Closed Thread