Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2019, 07:48 PM   #376
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
It is way too small to lift with a finger or finger nail. Pentax would never design something like that.

09-20-2019, 07:50 PM - 3 Likes   #377
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Maybe it's a magnetic or mechanical latch holding the screen in place. Just give a little push in to release. Like the glass front stereo cabinets of years past.

Patiently waiting....
09-20-2019, 07:51 PM   #378
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is way too small to lift with a finger or finger nail. Pentax would never design something like that.
Pentax isn't perfect. I have a hard time lifting the edges of the screens on my K-1 and KP - in particular the KP - and they have a frame. I suggest we can’t tell from a 2-D image how deep it is, but I am convinced by looking and by discussion with respected, connected members the screen is articulating.

We’ll know soon enough.
09-20-2019, 07:51 PM - 2 Likes   #379
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Keep in mind that this is probably a sports/ birding camera. No need for articulated screen.
No. It's a ranting-raving-about-what-it-might-have-been camera.

09-20-2019, 07:55 PM - 2 Likes   #380
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you look at the contours of the body above the screen to the right you will see it curves. The bottom of the body does the same. The designers have made a small niche to bring these curves together at the bottom. The niche is too small to be useful in pulling out a screen. I think it is just wishful thinking on behalf of some here.
Keep in mind that this is probably a sports/ birding camera. No need for articulated screen.
Wow! That would be a niche camera from a niche brand competing with the big boys on their own turf. Pentax has always made field cameras. A Sports/Action/Birding camera would be a complete change of philosophy. Maybe - but color me doubtful.
09-20-2019, 07:56 PM   #381
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Pentax isn't perfect. I have a hard time lifting the edges of the screens on my K-1 and KP - in particular the KP - and they have a frame. I suggest we can’t tell from a 2-D image how deep it is, but I am convinced by looking and by discussion with respected, connected members the screen is articulating.

We’ll know soon enough.
I don't think it is. Have a look a photos of other Pentax articulating screens for comparison.

If this is an articulating screen then hats of to the designers.They have done a wonderful job.
09-20-2019, 07:59 PM - 2 Likes   #382
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax has not previously attempted to enter this market in a meaningful way, so I doubt it.

It would be odd for all current Pentax DSLRs to have a movable LCD, except for the APS-C flagship.

09-20-2019, 08:00 PM   #383
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Pentax has not previously attempted to enter this market in a meaningful way, so I doubt it.
I guess you doubted the release of the K-1 too?
09-20-2019, 08:01 PM - 3 Likes   #384
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Why would you need the weak point-source light???
It would not be a deal-breaker for me if the new camera lacked flash, but I hardly consider having one useless. By the specs, my K-3's flash only has a guide number of 13 (ISO 100/m). However, at ISO 200, that translates to f/4 at 15 feet and effective fill flash as far away as 20 feet. While not a diffuse source (few, if any effective modifiers), coverage is fairly broad and adequate for 19mm focal length on that camera. It also offers a generous sampling of P-TTL support including Master/Commander for optical wireless, trailing curtain sync, and contrast control flash. Strangely enough, I have used it for outdoor fill flash multiple times in the last few months and it worked just fine for that task in a casual context. I have also used it as wireless commander for product shots. I consider it a useful feature and a heck of a lot more practical than having a more powerful, but still wimpy P-TTL miniature unit from Godox, Metz, or Pentax always in the bag. (FWIW, I think the Godox TT350P simply rocks and would be a welcome passenger in my bag at some point, but why pay out $85 USD if there is no need.)

Steve
09-20-2019, 08:02 PM   #385
Veteran Member

Maybe - but color me doubtful
They are just trying to fine a niche that works for them.
09-20-2019, 08:03 PM   #386
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't think it is. Have a look a photos of other Pentax articulating screens for comparison.

If this is an articulating screen then hats of to the designers.They have done a wonderful job.
FWIW, since I use K-1 mostly on a tripod, often in live view on the with moon lander a loupe, and KP for casual shooting through the OVF, a fixed screen would be a deal breaker for me.
09-20-2019, 08:04 PM   #387
Veteran Member

FWIW, since I use K-1 mostly on a tripod, often in live view on the with moon lander a loupe, and KP for casual shooting through the OVF, a fixed screen would be a deal breaker for me.
Thats all right. So you can still use what you have.
09-20-2019, 08:07 PM   #388
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

---------- Post added 09-20-19 at 07:39 PM ----------

So you are expecting a handle?? Well we'll see in due time.
09-20-2019, 08:08 PM - 1 Like   #389
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess you doubted the release of the K-1 too?
No, the difference being with the K-1 Pentax expanded on their traditional strengths, whereas a birding\sports camera would require them to make a leap in AF performance, and Pentax is short in the lens catalogue for these genres of photography.

We'll find out about the LCD soon enough, I suppose.
09-20-2019, 08:09 PM - 3 Likes   #390
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This looks really good to me. I was a bit concerned it would get a lot bigger, but it looks just same size as my K-5 IIs.

The aspect of most interest to me is the lack of a prism overhang. The camera's shell seems to fit very tightly over the prism. If you look at the cut versions of other Pentax DSLRs, that overhang is needed for the metering sensor. There is no space for that here. Either Ricoh has made a new type of super thin metering sensor or metering is performed on the main image sensor. That raises a lot of other questions about how the imaging sensor would have a view of the scene before capture. I think there are definitely some secrets in the shape of that prism.

I don't think that screen is moveable. The seams around it are way too thin. The off-center position of the screen in the black surrounding area is exactly like the GR III. I think that little indent in the corner has a purpose, but something more boring. A touchscreen accumulates grease, and if it is inset, that grease just gets wiped against the raised edges and will accumulate there. This little indent will allow you to wipe out grease trapped against the edge. So I think the screen is fixed. Perhaps it would make the camera too big, or perhaps they expect you to use your smartphone for remote capture. As long as the screen is bright, I'll be happy. The GR III's screen works for me and I don't want to buy another camera without a touch screen.

The event in Japan has just started by the way, It is from 12:00 to 18:30. Most of the time is devoted to workshops with photographers. My guess is that nothing specific will be given away about the camera beyond what the press release says. This would be consistent with previous development announcements and reference products from Ricoh.
Closed Thread