Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3229 Likes Search this Thread
09-21-2019, 01:22 AM   #421
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
It is way too small to lift with a finger or finger nail. Pentax would never design something like that.
I agree. For a camera like this - presumably intended for field use for wildlife and/or sports - it would be designed for ease of operation with gloves rather than fingernails.

09-21-2019, 01:38 AM   #422

I've been waiting for news of this since May last year when I was told by a Pentax rep that they were developing a new camera for release this year. He also said it would have a fast AF and a high burst rate and be ideal for sports/ wildlife. So I've held off getting an update for my k50/70 and will be looking forward to the specs when they're announced.
09-21-2019, 01:41 AM   #423
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
It is not a notch.Take a look at the rear e-dial. It has the same contour. Don't forget Penax cameras are WR. These sort of screens have to be rugged.
Let’s not quibble over a word, especially as I’m not convinced about its meaning in this context, anyway. Are you suggesting it’s a drainage lip? I can understand the shape under the rear e-dial being for that purpose, but the e-dial is a moving part that necessarily intrudes into the body, and needs a clearance around it.

Aside from that, there’s a distinct part line between the screen and the body. None of my APS-C Pentax bodies has that or the notch/lip/whatever, and they’re all fixed LCD screen models. On the other hand, this is just a prototype, so I’m not drawing any conclusions.

While a movable LCD screen is handy for a number of situations (and I do like the version on my K-1) I find most of those situations are amenable to using the remote Live View functions on a smart phone. The only one I can think of that isn’t is when the camera has to be held overhead.
09-21-2019, 01:43 AM   #424

QuoteOriginally posted by Joshua A Quote
As long as this has the viewfinder LCD of the K-1, its an instant preorder for me. Shame about the lack of tilt screen though.
Have a look at the bottom right of the screen, there seems to be a finger indentation.

09-21-2019, 01:48 AM - 1 Like   #425
Pentaxian

It would definitely not be designed to peel off the LCD cover with a screwdriver.
09-21-2019, 01:57 AM   #426
Pentaxian

Maybe we should have a poll about whether or not the K-2 has a movable screen.
09-21-2019, 02:02 AM   #427

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Label is something like "SFn".

As you noted, the movie icon on the dial next to the LV icon. If the usual conventions hold for Pentax, record start/stop is done with the shutter button.

Steve
Indeed. If it's a programmable function button 'shutter function' then likely one could program it to be the movie record button, for those that prefer to use this function rather than shutter release.

The presence of the AF joystick gives me hope that Pentax will give users what they have long been pining after - better AF and better video. (Because then Pentax cameras would be perfect).

Video is easier to do well with a smaller sensor, so APSC rather than FF. (some of the other speculative discussions around some kind of digital view finder read out would support improved video specs such as clean HDMI read out).

The presence of the video icon on the third wheel suggests to me that this camera is more video focused... and that Pentax is doing away with *some* of its usual conventions.

09-21-2019, 02:04 AM   #428
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It is just that the LCD protrude into the curved area to the right of the LCD.

It is just like on K3, but the LCD on the prototype is wider and protrude into the curved area.
My guess is that the LCD on the prototype is not the final one and this will be solved before release.

The below image of K3 and prototype &clearly show how the curved surface on the back look like on the right side of the LCD.
Attached Images

09-21-2019, 02:08 AM   #429
Pentaxian

The SFn button might be part of the smart function dial system - the two dials added to the K1 - effectively replacing the marked dial.
09-21-2019, 02:09 AM - 15 Likes   #430
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ebk Quote
the outside of the new camera is old fasioned,
and that after so many years the last new dslr.

hope the inside is much much better

You recently said:
finally the fairy tale of pentax is over !!!!!

no new cameras and i guess also no new lenses.

at the end of november pentax is gone!!
... and ...
and now waiting on the following message:

ricoh pentax can't no more support the ricoh pentax lenses
... so I'd have thought you'd be pleasantly surprised and happy about the new camera.

I don't know what you were hoping for in terms of the external design... it's clearly an evolution of previous models including the more recent KP and K-1 series. I'll take a wild stab in the dark here and predict that you won't be all that happy with what's inside either. Call it a hunch
09-21-2019, 02:15 AM   #431
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The SFn button might be part of the smart function dial system - the two dials added to the K1 - effectively replacing the marked dial.
Yes, most likely. Selecting the Function of the third wheel. I guess it is convenient, intuitive and costumisable to scroll through the options with the wheel while pressing the button and change the options without button press.
09-21-2019, 02:26 AM   #432
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I don't know what you were hoping for in terms of the external design... it's clearly an evolution of previous models including the more recent KP and K-1 series. I'll take a wild stab in the dark here and predict that you won't be all that happy with what's inside either. Call it a hunch
Absolutely. It's quite an evolution with the prism cover harking back to the cleaner lines of one designed without the thought of an onboard flash; unlike the K-3II which did away with the flash but couldn't do much about the prism cover shape. This plus the multiple wheels of the K-1/KP make this a very attractive functional design, not to say more than a little retro.
09-21-2019, 02:26 AM   #433
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Are you suggesting it’s a drainage lip? I can understand the shape under the rear e-dial being for that purpose, but the e-dial is a moving part that necessarily intrudes into the body, and needs a clearance around it.
I have already explained what I think it is.It is to do with the contours of the body and how the main control area including the joystick and touch pad sits proud from the main body. It is just a simple curve that from the angle that we are looking at looks like a notch. But its not.(as far as I can tell)
09-21-2019, 02:28 AM   #434
Pentaxian

The time is now 18.30 in Tokyo. I assume this means the presentation must be over so I wonder when any news will filter through.
09-21-2019, 02:28 AM   #435
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
It is just that the LCD protrude into the curved area to the right of the LCD.

It is just like on K3, but the LCD on the prototype is wider and protrude into the curved area.
My guess is that the LCD on the prototype is not the final one and this will be solved before release.

The below image of K3 and prototype &clearly show how the curved surface on the back look like on the right side of the LCD.
One other thing - the screen doesn't look like any current Pentax (or Ricoh) camera - it's less recessed than the K-3 as well as the glass extending further outside the display - more loike the GRIII in that, but there's a more distinct incision around the edge than the GRIII - it will be interesting to see what's going on, for sure.
Closed Thread