Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3229 Likes Search this Thread
09-21-2019, 11:08 AM   #526
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentikonian Quote
Speaking for myself, I'd love a line-up like that.

IMHO, if they did that, I'd think they would need to start updating the telephoto primes.
Honestly, with the current telephoto lenses available, they don't need much since the 150-450 is brilliant by all accounts as is the 560! If the new camera is aimed at sports and birding with a bigger buffer and a fast frame rate, then everything from the 55-300 PLM to the DA*300 and a TC will be amazing on it. Try a 55-300 PLM on a K-1 and be surprised by how good it is for a consumer lens. If the 70-200 F/4 is that good, then there is an amazing group of lenses that would fit the sporting and birding niche with a faster framerate and bigger buffer in the new body.

09-21-2019, 11:10 AM   #527
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
You must not have a KP.

I have a KP and I am attracted by neither the GRRRR nor the new camera.
KP design was definitely superior, but it doesnt make this new camera not appealing. Owning the latter I am interested in this new one features wise!
09-21-2019, 11:14 AM - 1 Like   #528
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My bet is that the S.Fn- button beside the top display is to change the wheel function just like the second wheel on K-1.
Hopefully this time the function options can be programmed and not fixed.
09-21-2019, 11:27 AM   #529

QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
KP design was definitely superior, but it doesnt make this new camera not appealing. Owning the latter I am interested in this new one features wise!
Yeah, the KP is nice and it's actually better suited to my needs. I don't ~really~ need a flagship. However the GPS of my K-3II is indispensable. KPII with new pentaprism housing design and GPS would be instant win for me.

09-21-2019, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #530
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Where did the sports/action/birding camera rumor get started? What is the basis of this rumor? Have any specs been announced other than being APS-C? A new top-tier (flagship) sports/birding camera will be a bit of a dud without top-tier fast telephotos. Are these on the roadmap?

And why can't a sports/action/birding camera be used for general, astro, field or macro photography? And how does a flippy/articulated screen prevent you from taking sports/bird shots?
It has been mentioned upthread since the birders and action people favor APSc.. It isn’t a rumor per se but a supposition. My post clearly is a “what if” question.
09-21-2019, 11:37 AM   #531
Pentaxian

It is little a bit hard to imagine new camera with fixed screen now a days, but not imbossible. Who knows, maybe they have prototype with an actual tilt screen. there can be 2-3 versions?

time to time my K-1 screen annoys me, because it flops out unintentionally also with fast movement. And if I'm bringin camera on my eye to take a quick shot, that make's it not so nice. But a lot of times articulating screen is great.

as they said it is still a prototype.
09-21-2019, 11:39 AM - 2 Likes   #532
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My takeaways are:

a) Ricoh exhibited a working prototype (albeit under glass) to several dozen invited guests, prototypes are less likely than mockups to have correct/complete labelling of controls, in fact some aspects might be camouflaged or deliberately altered;

b) working prototypes are built with as many finalized components as possible, to enable proper testing in the field, but some functions/attributes might be missing if that part of the final product has already been developed and isn't integral to new functions/attributes that are being tested;

c) there is something very different about the OVF on this prototype, that is more than just camouflage;

d) the people in the SmartVision division at Ricoh are more concerned about retaining existing Pentax customers than what other camera manufacturers are doing, they have exposed a lot of confidential detail about their current new product plans without giving their marketing department anything to support a new product launch campaign;

and e) SmartVision management is conducting an internal campaign to bring current projects to the commercialization stage, by engaging a group of external brand enthusiasts and friendly market influencers at a level that could seriously damage the brand if these new products don't come to fruition, in the event Ricoh Company management decides to treat the Pentax brand as a cash cow or divestable asset. I don't like to anthropomorphize corporations, so I will say that I believe there are people working at SmartVision who are wholly invested in keeping the Pentax brand alive and kicking, which I find very appealing.

09-21-2019, 11:41 AM - 1 Like   #533
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Honestly, with the current telephoto lenses available, they don't need much since the 150-450 is brilliant by all accounts as is the 560! If the new camera is aimed at sports and birding with a bigger buffer and a fast frame rate, then everything from the 55-300 PLM to the DA*300 and a TC will be amazing on it. Try a 55-300 PLM on a K-1 and be surprised by how good it is for a consumer lens. If the 70-200 F/4 is that good, then there is an amazing group of lenses that would fit the sporting and birding niche with a faster framerate and bigger buffer in the new body.
From what I've seen of the images posted here, yes the zooms will work and can fill the need. My comment was opinion from the point of being someone who prefers a faster prime over a zoom when you start talking about the bulk and cost of something like the 150-450. Again, just my opinion.

And back to the announcement and the camera...

After sleeping on it, I'm even more excited about the eventual release. Final specs, and how well the viewfinder works with my eyes, will be the decision maker for me. I do believe this will be another wonderful camera from Pentax.
09-21-2019, 11:47 AM   #534
Pentaxian

I must say that there are more than 5 people thinking about that OVF and that prism housing. Focusing has been done all the way new way. formerly it was connected to the prism, which made it bigger, and on top of that there was(is?) that GPS. What if that rumour of BSI sensor and 156 focuspoints is true. Then hybrid does excist, or will be. And that would be this camera right here. There would be silent shooting, improved video too. Additional focuspoints covering more of the sensor. AND you would still have OVF.
09-21-2019, 11:56 AM   #535
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
I believe there are people working at SmartVision who are wholly invested in keeping the Pentax brand alive and kicking, which I find very appealing.
I agree with that - I think rhat Pentax isn't losing Ricoh money and they are in a consolidation phase from which they plan to expand cautiously but systematically - I think Ricoh is the right custodian of the Pentax brand right now and into the foreseeable future
09-21-2019, 11:58 AM - 2 Likes   #536
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Focusing has been done all the way new way. formerly it was connected to the prism, which made it bigger, ...
DSLR PDAF systems do not involve the prism (or upper level mirrors)

There is a secondary mirror behind the (partially transparent) main mirror that sends light to a PDAF module in the bottom of the camera.
09-21-2019, 12:07 PM   #537
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Painter Quote
So a dial seems like overkill if you are only making three selections. Some sort of smaller lever could have done the trick for selecting between OVF Live View and Movie mode. It's possible and I think likely that there are more options that are not shown yet.
I was mistaken when I identified this as being the same as the 'Function Dial' on the KP.

The photo below shows that {dirty} area on my KP. As you can see, the lever which shares an axis with the 'Function Dial' does what the dial does on the new camera.
I don't understand the new control system either - but we don't need to right now, and presumably all will become clear some time in the future.
Attached Images

09-21-2019, 12:23 PM   #538
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'm not the most knowledgeable but it seems to me that most dslr's have had prism overhang? The exception I can think of are the high end Canons. Is this an aesthetic choice or do the high end canons function differently? Judging from the cut Pentax cameras the overhang is the focus confirmation display.

Almost forgot. I did a mount referenced size comparison with the K-3II

Last edited by house; 09-21-2019 at 12:29 PM. Reason: mg added
09-21-2019, 12:32 PM   #539
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
DSLR PDAF systems do not involve the prism (or upper level mirrors)

There is a secondary mirror behind the (partially transparent) main mirror that sends light to a PDAF module in the bottom of the camera.
Alright! I suppose that RGB sensor is at there too. Regardless. It seems that there is a lot happening underneath that small prism housing. and VF. Looking forward to hear what it will be. I'm propably not first customer for this aps-c flagship, but I can presume it will be also in next FF model.
09-21-2019, 01:00 PM   #540
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
You think it’s coincidence they’re selling 100th anniversary mugs now, too?

-Eric
Excellent point!

Steve
Closed Thread