Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2019, 05:56 PM   #586
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
I've looked at my K-3 and K-5 and they are a different shape, streamlined as such, straighter, this is a different design, looks bent down, or some such thing.
I honestly kinda like it. It almost looks like the cover of a Nikon Z7.

09-21-2019, 06:02 PM   #587
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I've looked at my K-3 and K-5 and they are a different shape, streamlined as such, straighter, this is a different design, looks bent down, or some such thing. would this have something to do with a larger view in the view finder?
Yes, the design is different, but the size and prominence and relative height of the prism housing is exaggerated in this side view due to distance foreshortening.* Head on comparison views scaled to the mount diameter show size and proportions (height, top deck height, position of mount, and width) to be very close to the K-3/K-3II.

That said, the prism housing is definitely plump as is the area below the mount and under the mirror box.

Steve

* Take a photo of your K-3 from the side at a distance of four or five feet and crop to fill the frame. See how the prism housing grows.
09-21-2019, 06:13 PM   #588
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
I honestly kinda like it.
yes I don't dislike it, just different.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
* Take a photo of your K-3 from the side at a distance of four or five feet and crop to fill the frame. See how the prism housing grows.
yes might try that, cheers.
09-21-2019, 06:27 PM - 1 Like   #589
mee
Veteran Member

I think too many dials could potentially slow down usage. Similar to having a screen full of desktop short cuts on your PC. It actually no longer is a short cut when you have to wade through a wall of icons to find the one you want.

Pleasing to see a "K-3"-like prototype though.. no vague, foggy images or silhouettes. Too late for me. But I can be happy for others.

I also think this body needs a new standard zoom lens to match it. Updated DA* 16-50 f/2.8 would be really nice. I wonder how Sigma lenses will behave with it considering Sigma seems to be getting out of the Pentax business? This with the 18-35 f/1.8 or the DC 30mm could be special.

09-21-2019, 06:35 PM - 2 Likes   #590
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Updated DA* 16-50 f/2.8 would be really nice.
absolutely agree, I think this is a must.
09-21-2019, 06:51 PM - 3 Likes   #591
Veteran Member

This is more than a prototype, too much details here with screw and all. I can almost bet this is the final body except for name and some dial printing.
09-21-2019, 07:10 PM   #592
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
except for name
There is some tape covering the name area on the 'prototype'.

09-21-2019, 07:20 PM   #593
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
Perhaps the button under the viewfinder releases/pops-out the tilting screen?
Someone might have already mentioned this (with such a big thread)... but if you look at one of the Hi-Res pics, there appears to be a slight indention/cut-out in the lower right hand corner of the rear LCD. I 2nd what people are saying about the Touchscreen. After the GRiii, its a logical progression.

I find the 4th scroll-wheel in the middle section interesting. It has Camera/LV/Video, so that unlabeled button the back might not be for LV. The fact that LV has its own function/setting is kind of intriguing. Seems like prime real-estate for something that is so minor. The wheel is also occupying where the 3rd-scroll wheel selector would be (on KP/K-1), so how exactly would/do you select options for 3rd wheel? I also hope that the Joystick means a big bump in # of AF points, because I really don't feel like I would need a joystick for the small amount of points that we currently have. Aside from the unlabeled button on the back, I wonder what that button is between the ISO/exposure comp buttons. It says S?.Fn?? Maybe it interacts with the top-LCD somehow? There is definitely no shortage of buttons and dials on there!

It's pretty standard for it to have a Mic/Headphone jack now, but be nice to have features to justify it. That SD-card door looks mighty small for 2-card slots.
09-21-2019, 07:24 PM - 2 Likes   #594
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by landofcourtness Quote
Someone might have already mentioned this (with such a big thread)... but if you look at one of the Hi-Res pics, there appears to be a slight indention/cut-out in the lower right hand corner of the rear LCD.
Back on page 32 there are some photos taken & posted by a PF member, and you can see the "cut-out" is not what it appears to be in the original pics.
09-21-2019, 07:36 PM - 1 Like   #595
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I think too many dials could potentially slow down usage. Similar to having a screen full of desktop short cuts on your PC. It actually no longer is a short cut when you have to wade through a wall of icons to find the one you want.
The KP has basically what this seems to have, and I don't get confused - I find the interface to be natural. Most are set once and then left, and it is easy/natural for me to reach for the three e-dials.
09-21-2019, 07:43 PM   #596
Pentaxian

absolutely agree, I think this is a must.
Isn’t that on the roadmap?
09-21-2019, 07:58 PM   #597
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Back on page 32 there are some photos taken & posted by a PF member, and you can see the "cut-out" is not what it appears to be in the original pics.
On my computer this is page 30
09-21-2019, 08:01 PM - 1 Like   #598
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Don't you want to hear my thoughts on L-plate fit?

Steve
This reminds me of what I want on a new camera. I would like Pentax to make avaialble those little things like L-plates (especially for the battery grip) that third party manufacturers do not make for Pentax.
09-21-2019, 08:13 PM   #599
Veteran Member

The timing on this announcement is perfect for me personally. My elderly father no longer does photography and gave me his Nikon D90 along with several prime and zoom lenses, essentially a little similar kit to my K3 and lenses. This had me considering buying a new Nikon body. With this announcement I'll hold off and see what the new Pentax brings to the table. I'm really hoping for significant update to the autofocus module. That being said, so far I'm not as impressed with the D90 af as I thought I might be. And yes, I know it is an old body. But that will be for another thread. . .
09-21-2019, 08:15 PM   #600
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote
Isn’t that on the roadmap?
hopefully
Closed Thread