Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2019, 08:26 PM   #601
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ricoh has increased their odds of keeping me (see my post above) buying. I have a lot of k mount glass and was considering going dual brands.

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote

d) the people in the SmartVision division at Ricoh are more concerned about retaining existing Pentax customers than what other camera manufacturers are doing, they have exposed a lot of confidential detail about their current new product plans without giving their marketing department anything to support a new product launch campaign;

09-21-2019, 10:07 PM - 1 Like   #602
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The KP has basically what this seems to have, and I don't get confused - I find the interface to be natural. Most are set once and then left, and it is easy/natural for me to reach for the three e-dials.
I had the same on my K-1, but never fell in love. Looks like a wart knob disease is plaguing the camera to me. They keep popping up big and small.

In the early days of the K-1, there were a number of people complaining over the top left knob on the right side of the camera failing prematurely. I never experienced it on my copy and Ricoh apparently repaired them on warranty. But it is just another kludgey item to break.

A simple button hold while rotating the rear dial would work just as fine for rarely adjusted features, and would clean up the top a lot. Less wart kludge.
09-21-2019, 10:26 PM - 3 Likes   #603
Pentaxian

Asahi man said 6-months ago - "Yes, Pentax team Japan, I know a couple of them, is working on a APS-C top camera. APS-C is still full in sight. But fullframe is currently the number one project." So now we know there will be a new flagship APS-C camera coming soon; Asahi man's prediction was proven correct once again.

He also said 6-months ago - "Next and absolute important target is a complete fullframe section." Now that the APS-C flagship is soon to be announced, one might expect a completely new full frame body to come out after that. It probably will incorporate the new tech that will be in the new APS-C body (just like the K-1 incorporated the new K3ii features in it). You might want to start saving for the new K-1iii (I know I am).
09-21-2019, 10:32 PM   #604
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by landofcourtness Quote
That SD-card door looks mighty small for 2-card slots.
In the side-by-side comparison pictures on page 32 of my browser, the card door looks to be the exact same size as the door on the K-3II.

09-21-2019, 10:47 PM - 1 Like   #605
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
I have already explained what I think it is.It is to do with the contours of the body and how the main control area including the joystick and touch pad sits proud from the main body. It is just a simple curve that from the angle that we are looking at looks like a notch. But its not.(as far as I can tell)
You were correct. I wasn’t picking up the change of plane in the original photos. Thanks @AlbertSiegel for providing images that show the transition more clearly.

Back to the camera itself – I’ll be glad to consider another APS-C body to replace my K-3, especially if it can bring more of the K-1 to that format, and it seems that, externally, that’s the case, with the third wheel and selector. If the LCD screen is a (switchable) touch screen like the GRIII that’ll be a bonus.

The K-1 has provided an improved AF over the K-3, so let’s hope the trend is continued with this one.
09-21-2019, 10:50 PM   #606
Pentaxian

So, there was an event yesterday and Pentax only showed a new APS-C camera that is under development? Anything else??? A lens maybe? Or just the hotshot cover.
09-21-2019, 10:58 PM   #607
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Asahi man said 6-months ago - "Yes, Pentax team Japan, I know a couple of them, is working on a APS-C top camera. APS-C is still full in sight. But fullframe is currently the number one project." So now we know there will be a new flagship APS-C camera coming soon; Asahi man's prediction was proven correct once again.

He also said 6-months ago - "Next and absolute important target is a complete fullframe section." Now that the APS-C flagship is soon to be announced, one might expect a completely new full frame body to come out after that. It probably will incorporate the new tech that will be in the new APS-C body (just like the K-1 incorporated the new K3ii features in it). You might want to start saving for the new K-1iii (I know I am).
I have money ready. If it is not coming(I believe that it is), I’ll consider something from Pentax with little bigger sensor, maybe.

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
You were correct. I wasn’t picking up the change of plane in the original photos. Thanks @AlbertSiegel for providing images that show the transition more clearly.

Back to the camera itself – I’ll be glad to consider another APS-C body to replace my K-3, especially if it can bring more of the K-1 to that format, and it seems that, externally, that’s the case, with the third wheel and selector. If the LCD screen is a (switchable) touch screen like the GRIII that’ll be a bonus.

The K-1 has provided an improved AF over the K-3, so let’s hope the trend is continued with this one.
Thinking back of what they have said about their big task of totally renewing and improving AF and other things...I’m looking forward to seeing the specs

09-21-2019, 11:50 PM   #608
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Thinking back of what they have said about their big task of totally renewing and improving AF and other things...I’m looking forward to seeing the specs
Absolutely. Praying for 150 plus AF points and also autofocusing to improve from Negative EV 3 to EV 4 . This will allow the HD 1.4 teleconverter to work better with lenses of f5.6 or slower. Current capabilities, I believe, are about F4 only.
09-22-2019, 12:00 AM   #609
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Andy Fern Quote
Absolutely. Praying for 150 plus AF points and also autofocusing to improve from Negative EV 3 to EV 4 . This will allow the HD 1.4 teleconverter to work better with lenses of f5.6 or slower. Current capabilities, I believe, are about F4 only.
That is not true. It is actually 5,6 and it works well even with 1.4 tc which make it f8. Remember that those focuspoints at the middle are fast more sensitive, 2,8 and rest is slower type. Which is one of the reason to use middle points with faster than f4 lenses. Some guys seem to mix these things up.
09-22-2019, 12:12 AM - 1 Like   #610
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Nope, K-7.
Pretty sure the K-5 series has mechanical IBIS during video.
After that, the K-01 and K-30 brought in the dreaded Movie SR software attempt at SR.
09-22-2019, 01:08 AM - 1 Like   #611
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hope that it has the same tilt'n'shift LCD as the K-1, as that is the only thing I really miss when using my K-3. And yes, lose the popup flash... they don't belong on professional cameras!
09-22-2019, 01:17 AM   #612
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
I haven't read through all 39 pages yet.....but where is any kind of articulating screen ? Looks like a fixed screen to me !
Bahhh Humbug !
Im quite disgusted !
Waited and waited and waited......and now just another fixed screen ? Really ?
Crap.....a "Deal Killer" for the one thing I cant live without.
Dont't worry about that. It is easy to fix anyway this is just a prototype...
K1 and KP had articulated screen why would next iteration miss that?
09-22-2019, 01:31 AM   #613
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
K1 and KP had articulated screen why would next iteration miss that?
the K-1 and KP lines have tilt screens, the K-70 line have articulated, the K-7, K-5, K-3 line have always had fixed screens, being a follow on from the K-3 line and going by the photo's I'd say it is a fixed screen in this one.
09-22-2019, 02:01 AM - 3 Likes   #614
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The camera will likely be released as displayed. It's an extremely far gone prototype. Just look at it, it has probably come off a production line (not in full swing). I wouldn't expect anything but minute changes to what's visible.
09-22-2019, 02:36 AM - 1 Like   #615
Veteran Member

I was really hoping for a fully articulated or tilt touch screen on the next Pentax as it would be pretty useful to have. That was before I got the K1, Nikon D500 and Canon M5 and realised I don't actually use the screens on them at all apart from viewing.
Closed Thread