Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3229 Likes Search this Thread
09-22-2019, 10:34 AM - 2 Likes   #706
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Lots of complainers in that forum which you mention here!
Yeah, 'X-man' is over there spreading his usual vitriol. First time I've read anything from that site in over a year.......now I have to go and repent.

09-22-2019, 10:47 AM   #707

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
The K series digital SLR camera currently under development will be exhibited at the "PENTAX Meeting 100th Anniversary Special" scheduled to be held in Japan on September 21st.

|
(click on the images for the full resolution versions at Wifi Commander for Pentax - wireless remote control for your Pentax camera)
  • Model name: to be announced later.
  • Flagship model of our K-mount digital SLR camera equipped with an APS-C size image sensor.
  • Currently under development for market launch in 2020.
  • Price: Not decided.

The third (and forth) dial from the K-1 (II) makes a return and there appears to be a sensor under the viewfinder.
Also noteworthy: An AF-joystick.

Nice.
In my opinion, inside Flasch is unnecessary, because it gives very imperfect lighting. Changing the viewfinder correction position adjustment is justified. However, the possibility of filming here with the help of the successor K-3 contested to reduce the price is a wrong idea, because the ability to preview the screen requires image processing in real time. Half of the work is already done, it remains only to save the next pictures as a movie. On the other hand, the ease of filming with good fixed focal length lenses just raises the quality and usability of this function.
Especially that the speed of image processing also affects the number of frames that can be saved in the burst mode, and these are an invaluable help for the photographer.
I don't know there is a real reason not to enter the tilting screen. In my opinion, every change develops a product, gives it new functions, so withdrawing from anything would have to be extremely carefully thought out. With such a large number of lenses for the APS-C size image sensor, it's hard to talk about stopping body production with this sensor dimension and developing the K-1 as models that offer much greater opportunities to capture light sublettity.
09-22-2019, 10:50 AM - 2 Likes   #708
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
I will buy another DSLR only if it has a hybrid viewfinder.
Given that nobody makes such and the technical hurdles are severe, you may be waiting a long, long, long time.

Steve

(...too much stuff in the way...)
09-22-2019, 10:56 AM   #709
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Andy Fern Quote
Absolutely. Praying for 150 plus AF points and also autofocusing to improve from Negative EV 3 to EV 4 . This will allow the HD 1.4 teleconverter to work better with lenses of f5.6 or slower. Current capabilities, I believe, are about F4 only.
I routinely use my KP with the DA 55-300 f/4.5-6.3 PLM + 1.4TC ..... it has never failed to AF {using the 'middle nine'}, even in darkish weather - I would expect the new camera to work just as well.

09-22-2019, 10:57 AM - 3 Likes   #710
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Fourty-four pages in, and normal service has been resumed. The new camera has no flip out screen, one SD card slot, the sensor resolution is too low, the body is too tall, it looks old fashioned, there are too many dials, and not enough lenses...
Don't forget NO LENS! It has NO LENS!

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-22-2019 at 11:19 AM.
09-22-2019, 11:09 AM   #711
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Lots of complainers in that forum which you mention here!
That forum whose name shall not be said.

Steve
09-22-2019, 11:10 AM   #712
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Yeah, 'X-man' is over there spreading his usual vitriol. First time I've read anything from that site in over a year.......now I have to go and repent.
Don't forget to shower first...twice...

Steve

09-22-2019, 11:14 AM - 1 Like   #713
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Albert Siegel Quote
I can confirm that the little notch in the photo is an illusion due to the angle and light. It's actually going out rather than in and under the screen (the right panel extends out). This in-develpment model does not have an articulating screen. Yes, I have seen this in up close in person. Please note that this does not mean the final version will not have it. This is still in the development stage, so anything can change at this point. What I was told is that the wait will very much be worth it.
Well, bummeroony! The picture shows the truth of the "notch".

For those of us of more advanced age (includes many Pentaxians), a fixed LCD screen makes low shots (on the ground without a flippy screen) or very high angle shots (like astro, sitting on my butt looking straight up from a bit too far away or on my knees bending over backwards) a literal pain. That's one big reason that I like my KP over my K-3.

There's been a lot of speculation about what features this cameras DOES have, but I'll wait until real data comes out before deciding buy/no buy.

But my guess is that if I go to the Serengeti, I'll be getting this new camera, along with a D-FA 150-450 to add to my kit.
09-22-2019, 11:17 AM   #714
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mariusz_B Quote
Changing the viewfinder correction position adjustment is justified.
No change from the K-3/K-3II and K-1/K-1ii.

Steve
09-22-2019, 11:47 AM - 9 Likes   #715
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

To quote (with a few liberties) a statement from a famous U.S. bureaucrat:

QuoteQuote:
Reports regarding new product features are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns—the ones we don't know we don't know. And if one looks throughout the history of our great brand and other great brands, it is always the known knows of those others that has vexed us more acutely.
The known knowns are as follows:
  • It has buttons and dials, many of which are familiar
  • Some buttons which we also know are not there
  • It has a K-mount (physically, KAF2)
  • It has a mirror and a focus screen
  • It also has unfamiliar somethings under the mirror and reflected in the mirror
  • It is fat under the mount
  • It is fat in the prism housing
  • There is very little projection of the prism housing at the front
  • It is deep in the eyepiece area
  • It has an unlabeled button
  • The screen is flat with no obvious frame or provision for pop-out
  • There is no obvious built-in flash
  • We can't see the bottom
  • The viewfinder eyepiece reflects yellowish in one picture, but not in others
  • The body is similar in size to the K-3/K-3II
  • It has an APS-C sensor
  • It has fittings for HDMI, microphone, headphone, USB, wired remote, and PC sync
  • It has the standard Pentax digital protocol hot shoe
  • It has apparent AF assist lamp
  • There is no obvious evidence of support for an apparent IR remote sensor on the rear and possible on the front (shared with the self-timer LED as on the K-3)
  • There is an apparent joystick
  • There is a sensor of some sort below the eyepiece
Everything else...we don't know; regardless of how important, needed, essential, hoped for, must have, foolish not to have, or obvious-to-anyone-with-a-brain a feature might seem.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-22-2019 at 03:14 PM.
09-22-2019, 11:53 AM - 1 Like   #716
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
So you are going to buy a lightly used one....right?
That's sorta the plan... but what if I did something really crazy and sell my K-3 ii and legacy glass and go all-in with the new Pentax + DFA 150-450 + 100 Macro - I have all the DA Ltd primes - and roll with that?

It actually is a thought.
09-22-2019, 11:54 AM   #717
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
It probably detects eye proximity then shuts off rear screen. At least my Sony DSLR's from 10 years ago used to do this..

I just prefer to leave the rear screen off to save battery and only use it when diving into menus or reviewing photos.
Perhaps that sensor will also wake the camera out of sleep mode when you put it to your eye...that would be nice! I don't know how many times I quickly try to focus my K3 on a bird (using back-button focus), and nothing happens, then I realize the camera is still in sleep mode as I'm missing the shot.

I also leave the rear screen off to help extend battery life (except to review and menu's) and rely on the top LCD and viewfinder for settings. Besides, I find the back screen distracting if I leave it on all the time.
09-22-2019, 11:55 AM   #718
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

• It also has unfamiliar somethings under the mirror and reflected in the mirror
  • It has an APS-C sensor
  • It has fittings for HDMI, microphone, headphone, USB, wired remote, and PC sync
  • There is no obvious evidence of support for IF remote
  • There is an sensor of some sort below the eyepiece
Everything else...we don't know; regardless of how important, needed, essential, hoped for, must have, foolish not to have, or obvious-to-anyone-with-a-brain a feature might seem.

Steve
Good summary, Steve.

I'll add that it also appears to have an IR sensor at the rear...
09-22-2019, 11:55 AM   #719
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't forget to shower first...twice...

Steve
I did and after the shower I sprayed myself liberally with disinfectant spray just to be safe and cootie free!!
09-22-2019, 11:56 AM   #720
Pentaxian

• It has an APS-C sensor
  • There is no obvious evidence of support for IF remote
  • There is an sensor of some sort below the eyepiece

Steve
About the 'IF' (I assume you mean "IR?") receivers, there are two IR receivers, one on front and one on back, present.
Closed Thread