This thread has turned into CSI: PentaxForums

Hey everybody loves a good mystery!
09-22-2019, 07:39 PM   #799
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
As do all threads based on 'teaser' images.

09-22-2019, 07:40 PM - 6 Likes   #800
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote

at least its better than the constant bitching, whining and bellyaching about what ever Ricoh/Pentax has or hasn't done.
09-22-2019, 07:41 PM - 1 Like   #801
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
at least its better than the constant bitching, whining and bellyaching about what ever Ricoh/Pentax has or hasn't done.
Stop complaining
09-22-2019, 07:46 PM - 7 Likes   #802
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't worry. As soon as the specs are released, someone will complain that it does not have 547 AF points and someone else will complain that it can't shoot 8K video.

09-22-2019, 07:54 PM - 1 Like   #803
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Don't worry. As soon as the specs are released, someone will complain that it does not have 547 AF points and someone else will complain that it can't shoot 8K video.
Good point!!
09-22-2019, 07:56 PM - 1 Like   #804
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
Stop complaining
I'm happy got my cash all counted out in front of me right now!!
09-22-2019, 07:59 PM - 4 Likes   #805
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm happy got my cash all counted out in front of me right now!!
I won recouped A$1000 in a lottery so I'm halfway there.
09-22-2019, 08:03 PM - 1 Like   #806
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
The lack of a built-in flash is rather illuminating... at least to me, it indicates a possibility that Pentax/Ricoh could be working on a wireless flash solution to make up for the lack of an in-built flash on this model, and on the K-1 MKII.
The K-3 II and K-1 were released without pop-up flashes as well. I don't think a fourth model without a pop-up flash would signal the possibility of a new wireless flash solution.

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Such a development would be a welcome one, especially if Pentax developed a partnership with a flash manufacturer (e.g Profoto,Elinca)
I don't think Profoto and Elinchrome pricing is compatible with the budget choices Pentaxians seem to make. I don't know about Elinca.

There are already a number of alternatives, though. Wireless, radio-based solutions with Pentax-dedication are available from
  • Cactus
  • Cononmark
  • Godox
  • Phottix
  • PrioLite
In particular Godox (and Flashpoint) offer Pentax-dedicated triggers for a large ecosystem of lights which is very popular. It lacks the professional support Profoto offers but if one buys from a reputable seller like Adorama (they rebrand Godox as "Flashpoint" but also have Adorama-exclusive Flashpoint triggers like the R2 Pro MkII) then one will be fine, at least for as long as the warranty lasts. There are some US-based Godox repair options as well. This offsets the fact that Godox themselves do not interact with customers directly.
09-22-2019, 08:06 PM   #807

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote

please check the bottom right corner of the rear screen :P
What are we supposed to check for? @Albert_Siegel already explained that the back where the joystick and 4 way control is slight further out than the plane where the LCD is and the case curves outwards to the transition the level change. Much like the curved area on the K-3.

You can clearly see the curves (left and below the eDial and bottom right of the LCD) in the pictures he has uploaded:

If you looked at the camera from the bottom imagine the letter "J" reversed and laying with the curved part upwards.
09-22-2019, 08:31 PM   #808
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
The camera will likely be released as displayed. It's an extremely far gone prototype. Just look at it, it has probably come off a production line (not in full swing). I wouldn't expect anything but minute changes to what's visible.
I've been away from here for a long time. In large part because of pentax going full frame. I just can't afford to replicate my glass (by use) in full frame and I've been loathe to invest further into k-mount aps-c glass on entry level bodies. This stuff is good news.

While I see where it looks like it may be near production state, remember we live in the world of 3d printing with metal. The stuff that's hard to do is the production injection molded plastics and bits with overmolded rubber bits. And almost everything there is borrowed from existing stock.

If the guts weren't near production, we probably wouldn't be talking 2020. But the closer you get to the outside, the less that is written in stone I suspect. (2020 can be 15 months away)

Even if the design is very far along and near production (2020 is just 3 months away), I'll still point at metal 3d printing. It makes it very affordable to keep stuff you want under wraps under wraps as an edited shell can be produced.

That being said, I don't think it will have GPS or an articulated screen if they are smart. But it will have wifi.

Because your smartphone has GPS plus cell tower maps plus wifi maps. Your cell phone also has an lcd you can put anywhere. If they get really smart you add on all the functionality of something like trigger trap too. How nice would it be to have your macro set up mounted and be able to do touch free macro stacking from an app?

Then you take those bits that cost money out of your cameras and leverage the app cost across multiple products. For a real home run you make the video mirroring not just wifi but have a wired low latency mode for more serious video use.

I'll probably be disappointed. I'll style for non garbage video and good af. But if I'm going to dream it'll have a higher sync speed too finally.
09-22-2019, 08:44 PM - 1 Like   #809

Looks like another great Pentax DSLR. However, I really want a digital Spotmatic or K1000 in the spirit of Leica's digital M cameras. Yes delusional, but
are there not others amongst us having the same retro dream ? 💭 📷
09-22-2019, 09:15 PM - 2 Likes   #810
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by raz-0 Quote
That being said, I don't think it will have GPS or an articulated screen if they are smart. But it will have wifi.

Because your smartphone has GPS plus cell tower maps plus wifi maps. Your cell phone also has an lcd you can put anywhere. If they get really smart you add on all the functionality of something like trigger trap too. How nice would it be to have your macro set up mounted and be able to do touch free macro stacking from an app?

Then you take those bits that cost money out of your cameras and leverage the app cost across multiple products. For a real home run you make the video mirroring not just wifi but have a wired low latency mode for more serious video use.

I'll probably be disappointed. I'll style for non garbage video and good af. But if I'm going to dream it'll have a higher sync speed too finally.
The point of having GPS in the body is that it will have astrotracer without the need of an extra accessory.
GPS in a Pentax body is more than just positioning info. Like K1 it will most likely have both wifi and GPS.
Closed Thread