Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3229 Likes Search this Thread
09-22-2019, 09:30 PM - 2 Likes   #811
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raz-0 Quote
That being said, I don't think it will have GPS or an articulated screen if they are smart. But it will have wifi.

Because your smartphone has GPS plus cell tower maps plus wifi maps. Your cell phone also has an lcd you can put anywhere. If they get really smart you add on all the functionality of something like trigger trap too. How nice would it be to have your macro set up mounted and be able to do touch free macro stacking from an app?
You're making a dangerous assumption -- that everyone has a smartphone.

I will say though that is one of the aspects all brands should be chasing -- connectivity to smart devices. Namely in image sharing to social media outlets. I figured the APIs Ricoh launched a couple years ago would have gained more leverage, but I haven't really seen anything from it.

Yet no camera company should be forcing features on smart devices (beyond social media sharing). That is really really really poor design. The camera is a total package of features. If one starts breaking the features out into a smartphone or the like, then now you're relying on other hardware to get a job done. Other hardware you have little to no control over as a company. And once those apps stop being supported and/or functioning on your smartphone of the future, you're now missing camera features -- they're gone. You've increased the risk, not decreased. Keep it in body. But offer extra smartphone features on the side.

09-22-2019, 09:53 PM - 1 Like   #812
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What seems strange to me is that bump on the pentaprism forward of the hotshoe. With my limited knowledge from looking at cross sectional cut outs there is often a cavity in this area. So why the need for a raised area? Is it possible that Pentax have developed a overlay projector to relay information into the forward part of the pentaprism? (I think in line with their patent) This may somehow enable live view OVF focusing and the use of better focusing screen? I'm off to work now............(please be kind)
09-22-2019, 10:04 PM   #813
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
that everyone has a smartphone.
absolutely, no smart phone here, no intention of one.

QuoteOriginally posted by raz-0 Quote
from an app?
not interested in a phone because I have a camera or a camera that is dependent on a phone.
09-22-2019, 10:13 PM   #814
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
not needed:
WLAN
GPS + Astrotrace
4k 30fps and FullHD 120fps prores video with log-profile and full Manual setting-control
Eye-AF
Dual native ISO
Hybrid Viewfinder
AllWeather tilt-type monitor

needed;
optical view finder
Improved IBIS
Improved pixelshift
At least 8fps RAW
A fast Raw-files buffer and with fast buffer clear times.
improved AF.C
Around 30 megapixel maybe 36 (happy with 26)
fixed or articulate screen
large top lcd
less knobs

as you can see we all differ in our needs

Yes we do
Red = absolutely needed
Blue = good to have
Black = not important

09-22-2019, 10:23 PM   #815
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rorschach Quote
Red = absolutely neededBlue = good to haveBlack = not important
That is what I say we all have different needs in a camera
09-22-2019, 10:34 PM   #816
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
What seems strange to me is that bump on the pentaprism forward of the hotshoe. With my limited knowledge from looking at cross sectional cut outs there is often a cavity in this area. So why the need for a raised area? Is it possible that Pentax have developed a overlay projector to relay information into the forward part of the pentaprism? (I think in line with their patent) This may somehow enable live view OVF focusing and the use of better focusing screen? I'm off to work now............(please be kind)
It is just that they have designed the prism housing differently. K1 and KP that have similar design have the same bump.
09-22-2019, 11:00 PM - 4 Likes   #817
Veteran Member

For all those saying you don't want or need an articulated screen in an APS-C flagship, spare a thought for those of us loyal Pentaxians who do absolutely need such a screen for "field" photography. Because my K-5ii has a fixed screen, I more often than not use my Sony RX100 with its screen for handheld field of view below chest level, eg photographing wild flowers for botanical records. And no, the KP won't do because I also love landscape photography using an IR remote. Thanks.

09-22-2019, 11:03 PM   #818
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the K-70 has an articulated screen
09-22-2019, 11:35 PM - 3 Likes   #819
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
the K-70 has an articulated screen
The K-70 is three years old, has the same number of focus points as the K-5, doesn't have WB bracketing, doesn't use LI90 batteries and will lack the unique innovative features of 2020's "K-2". It is not a viable replacement for my K-5ii for me in 2020.
09-22-2019, 11:48 PM - 1 Like   #820
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I reckon the K-90 will be a cracker of a camera, it is bound to have an articulate screen. In fact that could be a choice for me as I like to face the screen in and have it off most of the time, and open out when needed.
09-23-2019, 12:14 AM - 3 Likes   #821
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi, As a KP user I have been surprised how many times I use the flip screen, in my case, more often for overhead shot getting photos of monuments and pictures in the correct prospective and also above all of the people with their phone cameras. This new camera is vitally important for the Pentax brand, there is so much competition in a compacting market - they need to get it right. To introduce a flagship model without some sort of flip up/down screen would be suicidal - something which even the most loyal supporters would find difficult to swallow. Having read every post on this thread I believe this is the one theme of which Pentax should take note if they are trying to gauge reaction to the latest revelation about the upcoming model. - Michael
09-23-2019, 12:44 AM - 3 Likes   #822
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wooly11 Quote
Hi, As a KP user I have been surprised how many times I use the flip screen, in my case, more often for overhead shot getting photos of monuments and pictures in the correct prospective and also above all of the people with their phone cameras. This new camera is vitally important for the Pentax brand, there is so much competition in a compacting market - they need to get it right. To introduce a flagship model without some sort of flip up/down screen would be suicidal - something which even the most loyal supporters would find difficult to swallow. Having read every post on this thread I believe this is the one theme of which Pentax should take note if they are trying to gauge reaction to the latest revelation about the upcoming model. - Michael
I have a couple of non-Pentax cameras with tilting / articulating screens (a Hasseblad HV and Sony A7 MkII), and I've used that feature maybe half a dozen times in the four years I've owned them. It proved handy for the shots I was taking at the time - yet not essential. Other than that, I've always shot with the screen in its docked position. I agree that it would be preferable for the new Pentax camera to have an articulating screen, and it's certainly something a subset of potential buyers would want, but I doubt it would be "suicidal" to omit it. I'm a pretty ardent supporter of the brand, and I wouldn't be especially concerned one way or another.
09-23-2019, 12:55 AM   #823
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wooly11 Quote
Things like those are the reason I consider, at some point, to splurge for a T/S lens!
Also, lifting a K1 overhead for monuments has to count as a workout .
09-23-2019, 01:24 AM - 2 Likes   #824

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Partly depends on what you are recording - the world or yourself.
Literally no. I don't mean a screen that flips around for selfies. I mean a screen that doesn't force you to crouch down behind a tripod mounted camera. Very seldom does one record video from eye height.
09-23-2019, 01:32 AM - 2 Likes   #825
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To me, the biggest indicator that the top selector wheel ill have more features is the fact that the far LHS back button is also blank - there are simply features that they are not ready to reveal at this time. I agree that this is a pre-production model, and this is the camera we will get.

I think the screen is fixed - mostly, as I've said, because there is no protection for the edges of the glass if it is not. The only slightly different thing going on is that the glass doesn't seem quite as tightly sealed into the body as in the K-3- there's no point in making it fixed for eather sealing reasons, for example, then leaving a gutter where crud can build up - but times move on and designs change, so I don't think that evidence is convincing.
Closed Thread