Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3229 Likes Search this Thread
09-23-2019, 01:40 PM - 1 Like   #871

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
An articulated screen certainly comes with a lot of trade-offs:

-- more thickness and weight in the two extra layers of metal protecting the backside of the camera and backside of the display;
-- two more weather-resistant seals where the display cable exits the body and enters the display;
-- more metal in the body frame to support the display hinge;
-- a smaller display or bigger camera due to the need for a frame around the display (and frame around the recessed area that the closed display fits into;
-- perceived (and actual) fragility and failure points if the camera falls or bangs into something with the screen open.

Given many user's desire for a robust design, compact camera, lower weight, and lower cost, it makes sense that Pentax would avoid the all these downsides.
The Sports & Tele Customerbase is maybe 20% of the customer base for Pentax. And it lacks lenses e.g. 300 2.8. The macro customer base is not smaller. Modern cameras are multi purpose devices. It makes no sense to leave large parts of a community out, if you are a small size camera company.

09-23-2019, 01:47 PM - 2 Likes   #872
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A few points on the fixed screen discussion.

- I would estimate this camera is already in the 750-800g weight range.
- If it is a hybrid OVF camera (which I believe it to be) it will have more componentry inside and may be even heavier than that.
- A durable flip/tilt screen would probably add around 30-50g.
- A flash would probably add around 25g.
- In 2020 full frame MILC cameras are 500-700g range, crop MILC cameras 450-550g range.

Weight is not be all and end all, but it may be one consideration.

I do think it will get marked down in reviews for the fixed screen. But then again if it weighed in at 850g it would get marked down in reviews as well.
09-23-2019, 01:48 PM   #873
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
An articulated screen certainly comes with a lot of trade-offs:

-- more thickness and weight in the two extra layers of metal protecting the backside of the camera and backside of the display;
-- two more weather-resistant seals where the display cable exits the body and enters the display;
-- more metal in the body frame to support the display hinge;
-- a smaller display or bigger camera due to the need for a frame around the display (and frame around the recessed area that the closed display fits into;
-- perceived (and actual) fragility and failure points if the camera falls or bangs into something with the screen open.

Given many user's desire for a robust design, compact camera, lower weight, and lower cost, it makes sense that Pentax would avoid the all these downsides.
I used to have an Olympus point and shoot that had an articulated screen. I was always afraid the tiny wires to it would break. I don't know how the connections last after 100s of movements of them.
09-23-2019, 01:53 PM - 5 Likes   #874

QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
do think it will get marked down in reviews for the fixed screen. But then again if it weighed in at 850g it would get marked down in reviews as well.
It'll get marked down in reviews simply because it says PENTAX on the front.

09-23-2019, 02:40 PM - 1 Like   #875
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have both a KP and a K-1, and use the articulating screen quite a bit on both. For landscape, macro and astro. And in both cases it hasn't proven detrimental to the water-proofing/weather tolerance, though admittedly, I haven't had either out in -30C. Probably only 10F.
We're talking about a flagship level camera, not one where folks are generally looking to save weight or size. Pretty much all the newer high end cameras have them(including the K-1). Sony, Nikon D500 and 850. Z7 and EOS R. The only ones that don't are those with a much older body style(D5/1DX).
I like the fact the form factor is bigger than the KP. I'd be disappointed if they didn't use that to fit in an articulating screen.
09-23-2019, 03:00 PM - 1 Like   #876
Pentaxian

Having the option to move the LCD screen is more helpful and would satisfy more userbase than with fixed screen, the K-3iii well wishers would buy these camera anyways. (Provided they will get the increase in overall performance, i. e. AF, IQ, etc)
09-23-2019, 03:03 PM   #877
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jack002 Quote
I used to have an Olympus point and shoot that had an articulated screen. I was always afraid the tiny wires to it would break. I don't know how the connections last after 100s of movements of them.
After how many weeks did it break??

09-23-2019, 03:42 PM   #878
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
That's a bump in the body for the aperture motor inside. Kind of looks like sponge though.

Yup. Same bump as on other Pentax DSLRs

Here's the K-3:

09-23-2019, 03:56 PM - 21 Likes   #879
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I saw the camera yesterday under glass but from all sides and close up. I didn’t see anything that couldn’t be gleaned from the images, but here are my impressions.

Design
- It is a fixed screen. I don’t have much of an opinion about whether that is a bad thing, but that is what is shown. I worry that some people are setting themselves and others for disappointment. Unless they change the design, the screen is fixed.
- It has a lot of design elements in common with the K-1, but it is smaller overall. It looks similar in size to a K-5 IIs (the camera I’m most familiar with for comparison).
- The “shoulder” and therefore the grip is higher than the K-3/5 and the prism sticks out less prominently but is wider and pointier.

Degree of completion
- It looks production ready. I saw the 3D printed model of the K-1 before release, and this is completely different.
- When you peer into the camera from any angle, it looks complete inside.
- It may be technically possible to make a 3D model this convincing, but I don’t see why you would bother.

Opinion
- I was interested in the KP before. It looked like a good match for my Limited lenses. I still think it’s good by my interest has totally shifted to this new camera now. This new camera looks like the perfect replacement for my K-5 IIs.
- I was a bit concerned that the camera would bulk up if it was designed to go head to head with the D500, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.
- I think there is a lot of reason to be optimistic about AF. The joystick is added. The opening for the AF sensor under the mirror is visible and clearly much wider, indicating a wider spread of AF points. An upgrade to this would likely be a huge upgrade from the 11-point system in my K-5 IIs.
09-23-2019, 04:07 PM - 1 Like   #880
Forum Member

This screen situation creates quite a debate, that’s for sure. And understandably so.
I count myself in the camp of the tilty/flippy screen defenders. I don’t think a fixed screen would be a deal breaker for me, but it would make me think.
I waited for this camera for too long now, and I really like what I see. The apparently larger AF coverage and probably higher AF point count (why would this camera need a joystick otherwise?) alone would make me consider upgrading my K5iis.

However, I see it this way: a moveable screen is less likely to be deal breaker for anybody than a fixed one. A moveable screen can be left alone or even taped shut, while a fixed screen cannot be moved, limiting the opportunities. I know would use it a lot for macro or landscapes on a tripod, like I would have done 5 hours ago if I had one.

Otherwise, I feel the same excitement I felt when the K1 was announced. I really thought about getting one, but the financial reality quickly reminded me that would not be the best investment for me at the time.
This will probably be a great camera.

---------- Post added 09-23-19 at 04:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
- The “shoulder” and therefore the grip is higher than the K-3/5.

- I think there is a lot of reason to be optimistic about AF. The joystick is added. The opening for the AF sensor under the mirror is visible and clearly much wider, indicating a wider spread of AF points. An upgrade to this would likely be a huge upgrade from the 11-point system in my K-5 IIs.
You beat me to it.

Two excellent reasons to buy in my book. I bought a grip for my K5iis just to improve ergonomics and avoid having my pinky hanging below the camera. Maybe I won’t have to with this camera.

The AF will certainly be a huge upgrade, as the KP and K1 are apparently way better than the K5 series already. So if this one makes a particular effort in this area, this will be a winner.

Last edited by pjsaure; 09-23-2019 at 04:15 PM.
09-23-2019, 04:22 PM   #881
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jack002 Quote
Ask K-70 owners?

None of this is new, just knew to Pentax. Adjustable/articulated (and later touchscreens too) have been around on cameras for many many years.

---------- Post added 09-24-19 at 11:31 AM ----------

Not sure that 3rd top dial of stills, live view and video is really required. Seems fairly intense for basic function select like this.
Pentax K-70 put the video option on the power button, and this looked really sensible.

Top LCD screen is smaller because of the 3rd wheel. I'm not a fan of the 1980's calculator LCD screens anyway, but was always funny to see this described as a pro feature.

I'd love a touch screen for reviewing photos afterwards. What I like about Pentax is you have lots of physical buttons, so you can choose if you want to use a new feature like a touch screen, or turn it off and use the older button approach. Don't think people should get bent out of shape over features they can choose to avoid.

Likewise I'd love to see better video specs (and imagine if they actually gave back the mechanical stabilisation during video recording?!). If people don't use their Pentax for video then this wouldn't impact them, but for those who do (or who want to) this would be a huge step forward. Video specs and improved AF tracking are the two areas I feel Pentax really lags behind in. I hope this new model addresses this.
09-23-2019, 05:03 PM - 1 Like   #882
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Not sure that 3rd top dial of stills, live view and video is really required. Seems fairly intense for basic function select like this.
Don't forget that this allows you to turn the camera on and off and stay in the same mode. Quite useful on the KP I've found when you know you want to be in Live View mode, but can save power switching on and off between shots.

Last edited by caliscouser; 09-23-2019 at 08:15 PM.
09-23-2019, 05:26 PM - 1 Like   #883
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I saw the camera yesterday under glass but from all sides and close up. I didn’t see anything that couldn’t be gleaned from the images, but here are my impressions.

Design
- It is a fixed screen. I don’t have much of an opinion about whether that is a bad thing, but that is what is shown. I worry that some people are setting themselves and others for disappointment. Unless they change the design, the screen is fixed.
- It has a lot of design elements in common with the K-1, but it is smaller overall. It looks similar in size to a K-5 IIs (the camera I’m most familiar with for comparison).
- The “shoulder” and therefore the grip is higher than the K-3/5 and the prism sticks out less prominently but is wider and pointier.

Degree of completion
- It looks production ready. I saw the 3D printed model of the K-1 before release, and this is completely different.
- It may be technically possible to make a 3D model this convincing, but I don’t see why you would bother.

Opinion
- I was interested in the KP before. It looked like a good match for my Limited lenses. I still think it’s good by my interest has totally shifted to this new camera now. This new camera looks like the perfect replacement for my K-5 IIs.
- I was a bit concerned that the camera would bulk up if it was designed to go head to head with the D500, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.
Thanks much for your opinion!!
09-23-2019, 05:29 PM   #884
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Design

Degree of completion

Opinion
Thank you for your post. Great to hear from someone who has seen it close-up.
09-23-2019, 05:41 PM   #885
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Reading over the review of the 11-18 (boy it sounds nice), I can't help but think you wouldn't release a premier lens like that with features aimed towards astro photography and then release a flagship without GPS. Could be wrong, but hopeful speculation a GPS unit is within.
Closed Thread