Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2019, 05:46 PM - 8 Likes   #991
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I believe - that is, it is my opinion, backed by several users of the K-1ll who also have a K-1, that the supposed loss of detail from the Accelerator is essentially academic; that there is a mathematically assertable potential loss of detail but any actual loss of detail is essentially not discernible.
Upgraded my K-1 to the K-1 II. If there is a loss of detail, it's trivial and takes peeping at 200%-300% and a glass of whiskey, imho. The gains in low light shooting and ease of producing a nice looking end photo without a ton of post far offset any potential loss. If I'm after that level of extreme detail, I'm not shooting at a high ISO anyway.

09-24-2019, 06:16 PM   #992
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
I suspect baseline would be:

The screen is a touchscreen, and the sensor near the EVF is to disable this when your nose/face is near the viewfinder.
The joystick is to move an AF target within the optical viewfinder, like the current AF points light up.
The screen does not come out.
There is nothing special about the viewfinder.
There is GPS inside.
Video is still 2012 levels, maybe with the higher bitrate of the KP, but nowhere near even 2017 industry standards for bitrate, frame rate, resolution options.
No mechanical stabilisation or focus peaking during video.
A few more AF points, so hopefully able to basic track a bit wider than around the centre of the frame.
No eye AF.

If we start from that position, then anything else is a bonus.

Obviously I'm hoping there are some significant improvements over the now quite old K-3 line.
The KP was an interesting release, sitting between the K-3 and K-70, but the K-3 is well overdue for a full blown replacement.
The K-3 is a beast of a camera, so I can't wait to see where they take it, and hope their design choices really suit my 2020 personal requirements when it's released.
The market looks quite different today than it did back when I purchased My K-100d and K-3 cameras, when Pentax was miles ahead of the alternatives at the time.
As far as I know video is directly related to the capability of the sensor and processing pipeline. I don't think that any possible combination of up to date components is supposed to perform at the level of the K3II or even the KP. I don't think to expect more in this area is a stretch. (even if this is something I don't care about much)
09-24-2019, 06:29 PM   #993
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Isn’t the unmarked button at the top left just the trash can button? So you can delete files on the fly?
09-24-2019, 06:33 PM - 3 Likes   #994
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Isn’t the unmarked button at the top left just the trash can button? So you can delete files on the fly?
The button placement on the rear of the new camera seems to very closely follow that of the K-1. In that case, that button should be the LV (Live View) button, which seems absent on the new camera, because the LV setting is moved to the top round dial.
So, it's anyone's guess what the blank button will be used for.

As can be seen below, the trashcan is allocated to the same button as before:

The real intuitive part, I think, will be the function button (S.Fn) which I imagine will be used with the scroll wheel, which will allow one-handed setting changes on the fly.

09-24-2019, 07:16 PM - 1 Like   #995
Pentaxian

Still think that stills, live view, video wheel looks like an afterthought addon.

---------- Post added 09-25-19 at 02:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
As far as I know video is directly related to the capability of the sensor and processing pipeline. I don't think that any possible combination of up to date components is supposed to perform at the level of the K3II or even the KP. I don't think to expect more in this area is a stretch. (even if this is something I don't care about much)
Oh I'm not disagreeing with you at all!

I'm just saying this is Pentax and they've got a lousy track record at providing video capabilities since 2012, when they dropped real sensor IBIS during video capture and instead gave us software Movie SR instead

Go in with low expectations and be positively surprised
09-24-2019, 07:24 PM   #996

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I believe - that is, it is my opinion, backed by several users of the K-1ll who also have a K-1, that the supposed loss of detail from the Accelerator is essentially academic; that there is a mathematically assertable potential loss of detail but any actual loss of detail is essentially not discernible.
As I recall Ricoh on their K-1/K-1ii special site said numbers alone aren't going to tell you what's going on long before the empirical wizards came only with their charts and tables.
09-24-2019, 07:30 PM   #997
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Still think that stills, live view, video wheel looks like an afterthought addon.[COLOR="Silver"]
Agreed!

09-24-2019, 07:52 PM   #998
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Hey BROO please point us to the photos showing two different Penta-prisms, I have looked and I can't find one showing a different Penta-prism.
It's not the actual pentaprism itself but the part of what we generally refer to as the pentaprism design just forward of the hotshoe. There is a definite hump in one camera. The photos that I am referring to is the original two that we saw of the asp-c camera. Maybe It's the angle of the light or my fertile imagination!
09-24-2019, 07:59 PM - 1 Like   #999
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
It's not the actual pentaprism itself but the part of what we generally refer to as the pentaprism design just forward of the hotshoe. There is a definite hump in one camera. The photos that I am referring to is the original two that we saw of the asp-c camera. Maybe It's the angle of the light or my fertile imagination!
Including links to, or the actual images in question would really help.
09-24-2019, 08:02 PM - 3 Likes   #1000
Veteran Member

Including links to, or the actual images in question would really help.
Do you want me to link you to page one of this thread?
09-24-2019, 08:04 PM - 1 Like   #1001
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh I knew what you were referring to and it could be your fertile imagination playing with you.

Edit: I just took a look at the images on the first page and they look the same as subsequent photos.
09-24-2019, 08:04 PM - 9 Likes   #1002
Pentaxian

Actually, putting the three camera shooting modes on the top center wheel is brilliant. The S.fn button takes the place of the analogous K-1 dial with a few settings. Push S,fn, then use the third top dial to set its own functions as you scroll through them on the back or, probably, the top LCD. Some of the center dial wiring is already in place from K-1 engineering, since stills and video was a switch at the base of that center dial position. Live view needed to be another button, far left. Now, the three camera modes will be on one switch, which is exactly the kind of logical thinking I appreciate in Pentax. 2/3rds of the engineering wiring is already done, and the former LV button is free for another function.
09-24-2019, 08:08 PM - 1 Like   #1003
Pentaxian

Still think that stills, live view, video wheel looks like an afterthought addon.[COLOR="Silver"]
To me this looks to be very promising, and could potentially be a much more flexible solution than FI on K1.
Using the least accesible dial for OVF/LV/Video is a good thing IMO. And a large dial like this is better than the lever on K1/KP, or sacrificing one of the more accessible buttons on the back that could better be used for something else.

The Sfn button could be a better solution than using this dial with pre fixed special functions like on K1
With Sfn button it would be possible to customze the special function for your own need and maybe even different set of functions in OVF/LV/Video.

Last edited by Fogel70; 09-24-2019 at 08:13 PM.
09-24-2019, 08:09 PM   #1004
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Oh I knew what you were referring to and it could be your fertile imagination playing with you.
Maybe. But in one image the camera has a K-1 style design and the other appears to me to be different (with a pronounced bump). Anyhow I can accept your judgement.
I am sure this will be a real step forward for Pentax, I hope they have a few innovations that will surprise us.
09-24-2019, 08:16 PM - 2 Likes   #1005
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The photos that I am referring to is the original two that we saw of the asp-c camera.
Below is the "original" (lifted from the Ricoh Imaging, Japan Web site):

The two photos at the beginning of this thread appear to be large versions of the image above and the same as the crops posted by Tanaka-san on his Twitter account. I gave them both careful evaluation and feel they are of the same camera with identical prism housing details. (Hint: the two views were taken from different angles and distances.)

Steve
Closed Thread