Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3229 Likes Search this Thread
09-27-2019, 06:20 AM   #1186
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
This camera is, no doubt, and engineering model. Probably custom made in a model shop. Since everyone knows how to make a flip out screen it is not necessary to have one on an early engineering model. They are testing other technologies and are more interested in that than a flippy screen. In another life in the ancient days I used to test engineering models for a living so this is where I am coming from.

FWIW, I even see a crack in the body in the area that everyone is speculating about. What is the significance of that?
Dream on, this is not a model. Why do you persist in thinking its an engineering model other than you used to test engineering models back in the days of pen and ink mechanical drawings? Why would there be tape over the model number, why not leave that feature off in an engineering model? Please point out with more precision exactly where the crack in the body is, there is a separation line between the bottom plate and the body.

09-27-2019, 06:22 AM - 2 Likes   #1187
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I find it curious that there is a spot in the base plate where it gets narrower under the corner in question. I'm not sure why the base plate would narrow like it does if this was just a contour illusion, and I don't think it's the contour making it look narrower, but I could be wrong. Looks like we'll have to wait to satisfy all of us as to the answer.
09-27-2019, 06:32 AM - 6 Likes   #1188
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Dream on, this is not a model. Why do you persist in thinking its an engineering model other than you used to test engineering models back in the days of pen and ink mechanical drawings? Why would there be tape over the model number, why not leave that feature off in an engineering model? Please point out with more precision exactly where the crack in the body is, there is a separation line between the bottom plate and the body.
*I* work in development in the age of CAD and 3D printing (have been through 3 prototype iterations of my current project), but since you are clearly in the know please point out what exactly shows that the camera is a production model. Come on, one of the "connectors" is a literal stamp on the side leatherette cover. If it were a production line model, why would they leave that part off? It's a piece of rubber with the same shape as the other one that is already present.

Also, the back plate and the top plate don't even match, so either they made a conscious decision to make an obvious edge (hint: no one in their right mind would) or this is not the final version.
09-27-2019, 06:37 AM - 2 Likes   #1189
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Also, it's just a little nag, but the joystick looks unfinished.

09-27-2019, 06:41 AM   #1190
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
*I* work in development in the age of CAD and 3D printing (have been through 3 prototype iterations of my current project), but since you are clearly in the know please point out what exactly shows that the camera is a production model. Come on, one of the "connectors" is a literal stamp on the side leatherette cover. If it were a production line model, why would they leave that part off? It's a piece of rubber with the same shape as the other one that is already present.

Also, the back plate and the top plate don't even match, so either they made a conscious decision to make an obvious edge (hint: no one in their right mind would) or this is not the final version.
The back doesn't look finished to me. Why is it inset with a shoulder on three sides? The corner in question isn't finished. So it is a prototype.

I don't know what the end result will look like, but there are lots of people, enough to listen to, that would pass on this model if it didn't have an articulating screen. I suspect that is the type of information that Ricoh is looking for.
09-27-2019, 06:41 AM   #1191
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
Also, it's just a little nag, but the joystick looks unfinished.
The entire model looks purposefully made to keep us talking ang getting excited. In general lines it looks very nice and the layout might very well be 10/10 with how things are so far, so let's wait and see what they give us for the full reveal, it sure is gonna be awesome

---------- Post added 09-27-19 at 06:45 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
The back doesn't look finished to me. Why is it inset with a shoulder on three sides? The corner in question isn't finished. So it is a prototype.

I don't know what the end result will look like, but there are lots of people, enough to listen to, that would pass on this model if it didn't have an articulating screen. I suspect that is the type of information that Ricoh is looking for.
That's the thing, the back side looks like a placeholder. I would do the same, 3D print a mold, cast a preliminary back plate (or even just 3D print the piece), make it look polished, show the button layout, screen, etc... and start taking notes. The back is where most of the controls are so they may want to know if we are happy with it... might have even thrown the LV/Video/VF wheel to make us go "huh?".
09-27-2019, 07:06 AM - 1 Like   #1192
Pentaxian

"They only see what they want to see".
This camera is way too refined, way too detailed to be a mere engineering sample: it appears to be, at the very least, a working prototype designed to be shown around (e.g. to photographers).
The 3D-printed models phase was few years ago.

09-27-2019, 07:52 AM   #1193
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
"They only see what they want to see".
This is correct, and applies to everyone in the thread. To me it obviously looks unfinished for reasons already stated.
09-27-2019, 08:10 AM - 2 Likes   #1194
Pentaxian

I'm not saying it's finished. It might be a working prototype for external testing (by collaborating photographers), and still the final product might have slight differences. I have no way of knowing.
I'm saying it looks too detailed for a mere engineering sample, and clearly way beyond the 3D-printed phase. I would believe if they'd told me it is pre-production.

FTR - if I'm not mistaken someone else already made this point - the K-1 was first shown as a 3D printed model while it was expected to be launched by the end of the same year.
Is this camera in a more advanced stage?

---------- Post added 27-09-19 at 06:29 PM ----------

By the way - the perfect proof this is more advanced than an engineering sample: it's not held together by duct tape.
09-27-2019, 08:54 AM   #1195
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
By the way - the perfect proof this is more advanced than an engineering sample: it's not held together by duct tape.
But but but there is duct tape holding together the secret to the name!

I agree that this looks pretty far along the road to final version, it's mostly the back plate that looks distinctly unfinished to me... that and the fact that there are no specs, no mention of the inner components at all. All for that sweet mystère!
09-27-2019, 08:54 AM - 9 Likes   #1196
Pentaxian

This debate about mock-ups vs. prototypes seems to be a battle between the optimists who say the camera is half finished and the pessimists who claim it is half unfinished.

The bigger point is that the camera is coming!

Moreover, this new camera clearly in a much more advanced state of development that when they showed the K-1 as an obvious 3-D printed mockup 12 months before the camera came out. In contrast to the printed K-1 mockup, the new camera clearly has all the internal optical tidbits, buttons, displays, painted markings, etc that were missing in the earliest K-1 teaser. It seems a lot more finished than not.
09-27-2019, 09:22 AM - 1 Like   #1197
Pentaxian

Here's my 2 cents: What if the name of the model is "KC" as in: C=100 in Roman numbers. They did the same for the LX if im not wrong.
09-27-2019, 09:28 AM - 1 Like   #1198
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As long as there is a Sunshine Band to go with it.
09-27-2019, 09:28 AM - 1 Like   #1199
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote

Please point out exactly which one of the "connectors" is a stamp on the side of the leatherette cover? If you are referring to the USB/HDMI cover and the MIC/Headphone cover on the left side of the camera the "literal" stamps on the covers depict what is under the that particular cover. The covers are W/R covers and can be lifted separately to access the functions under said cover. The coves match the camera finish and the "leatherette" finish. Now for the other side of the camera there is a memory card/s slot cover and a wired remote cover both W/R.

As for the back plate and the top plate fitment, I see very little difference between this new camera and my 5 year old K-3.

I stand by my statement.
09-27-2019, 09:54 AM - 2 Likes   #1200
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by shyrsio Quote
Here's my 2 cents: What if the name of the model is "KC" as in: C=100 in Roman numbers. They did the same for the LX if im not wrong.
Then any and all French-speaking customers will laugh their a☆☆es off since KC in French has the same pronunciation (ka-say) as 'cassé', which means broken.
Closed Thread