Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2019, 10:48 PM - 8 Likes   #1321
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ventaxian Quote
They lifted the hood for a short while and we could have an unobstructed peek at the body itself.
Ah - so the rear LCD clearly hinges in the middle...

*duck*

09-28-2019, 10:53 PM   #1322
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
The sticker with the model number is normally on the corner, not between the tripod screw and lens mount
It actually changes shape and placement between models - it basically goes where it fits

Intetestingly, thre is an unoccopied rectangular recess that looks designed to take a label on my K-1 in the position between the tripod mount and lens mount - roughly where the white patch is - the actual label is behind the tripod mount. Could it be that there are different labels in different regions requiring different positioning? hard to see why, but who knows?

Last edited by ffking; 09-28-2019 at 10:59 PM.
09-29-2019, 12:05 AM   #1323
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
It actually changes shape and placement between models - it basically goes where it fits

Intetestingly, thre is an unoccopied rectangular recess that looks designed to take a label on my K-1 in the position between the tripod mount and lens mount - roughly where the white patch is - the actual label is behind the tripod mount. Could it be that there are different labels in different regions requiring different positioning? hard to see why, but who knows?
Sometimes a single product cannot work in all regions or get certified for all at the same time. Depending on wiring, broadcasting or recyclability...

---------- Post added 29-09-19 at 09:48 AM ----------

Pentax apparently worked on its AF system and everything is delayed.
Nikon delays D6 and suddenly has sensor shift in mitrollend and for D6.
Can Nikon just add sensor shift along the line? Can Pentax really boost its AF system by itself? Either we just experience technological evolution at its best or some teams not only copied features but joined forces. These things happen, typically not at such level, but this is Page 85 in rumors of a camera with no known specs.
Maybe the future is not only bright, but also fast.
09-29-2019, 01:17 AM - 1 Like   #1324

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
The Mitsubishi Pajero had its name changed in Spain for reasons that are probably best left to Google Translate

More recently, the Hyundai Kona was commercialized in a region where a very similar word, coincidentally pronounced the exact same way, is also a very graphic feminine noun...
If you're not thinking of Portugal (for the Kona), you can add it to your list.
But we still call the other a Pajero, as it doesn't mean anything to us. I laughed when I found out about it.

I think they learned their lesson with the Chevy Nova...

Last edited by dafbp; 09-29-2019 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Chevy, not Ford
09-29-2019, 03:09 AM   #1325
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Sometimes a single product cannot work in all regions or get certified for all at the same time. Depending on wiring, broadcasting or recyclability...

---------- Post added 29-09-19 at 09:48 AM ----------

Can Nikon just add sensor shift along the line? Can Pentax really boost its AF system by itself? Either we just experience technological evolution at its best or some teams not only copied features but joined forces. These things happen, typically not at such level, but this is Page 85 in rumors of a camera with no known specs.
Maybe the future is not only bright, but also fast.
I guess I don't understand the correlation. Nikon has had sensor shift in its mirrorless cameras for a little while and no one said that they needed help from Pentax for that. Sony has it too. For Nikon to be trading tech with Pentax there has to be some equivalent level of exchange and I wouldn't particularly see that here.
09-29-2019, 07:10 AM - 1 Like   #1326
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ventaxian Quote
...the Dutch representative of Ricoh said he brought this one from the Japanese exhibition and apparently there are only three copies
The person in the Netherlands telling the audience about the camera, Mike Muizebelt, is a wildlife photographer. Hmmh, ...
09-29-2019, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #1327
Pentaxian

Funny. Friend of mine is buying a Canon M6, told me how astounding it is, "it has in-body" stabilisation, and how cutting edge that "is"... He was fairly deflated when I told him my K-7 had that a decade ago...... Despite Nikon and Sony currently offering it,and their user's thinking it's cutting edge Pentax users already know..... Well...... We already know..... Also... When out with Canon and Nikon shooters, all are stunned by my Pentax and 20 year old lens, grabbing focus when theirs fails to actually get An in focus photo,despite confirmation in their viewfinder
Personally, I can't wait for this new aps-c. Not only to be ahead of the curve, but, because I love the interface between me and my K-1, and although loving my K-5 would appreciate the same in a K-?......

09-29-2019, 08:32 AM   #1328

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Pentax Δ-Τ-Χ ???

Delta-Tau-Chi, a historical reference.

Steve
Yeah i got the Animal House film ref. Hard to argue against the classics.

---------- Post added 09-29-19 at 08:55 AM ----------

[/COLOR]
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I suspect the KP name is a nod to the old AP
Looking at the below lens cap, here’s my guess for the name:
AO-C
Except in Southern California where it will be the A-OC.

Fair enough.

Last edited by solitudebound; 09-29-2019 at 11:15 AM.
09-29-2019, 09:09 AM   #1329
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Private parts...

Steve
The Naughty Bits ?
09-29-2019, 10:01 AM   #1330
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I suspect the KP name is a nod to the old AP

Looking at the below lens cap, here’s my guess for the name:

AO-C

Except in Southern California where it will be the A-OC.
Indeed, one might find a lot of small visual references, very good catch IMO.
09-29-2019, 01:53 PM - 2 Likes   #1331
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Can Nikon just add sensor shift along the line? Can Pentax really boost its AF system by itself? Either we just experience technological evolution at its best or some teams not only copied features but joined forces.
The thing is nearly every camera manufacturer now has IBIS, and most have it working in Video capture too.

Pentax can't rest on it's laurels around this. Features that were once a Pentax only strength are now available from many brands.

Bottom line for me is Pentax is behind the game on object tracking AF and video capabilities. Any new camera released should make more sizeable inroads into these areas to remain competitive in the wider market.

Body wise, we're seeing a new camera with a new joystick, and what looks to be a fixed screen at this stage. Moving on from that, the next question is what has been improved upon inside this housing? As that's really what's going to make the real impact.
09-29-2019, 02:05 PM   #1332
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
The thing is nearly every camera manufacturer now has IBIS, and most have it working in Video capture too.

Pentax can't rest on it's laurels around this. Features that were once a Pentax only strength are now available from many brands.

Bottom line for me is Pentax is behind the game on object tracking AF and video capabilities. Any new camera released should make more sizeable inroads into these areas to remain competitive in the wider market.

Body wise, we're seeing a new camera with a new joystick, and what looks to be a fixed screen at this stage. Moving on from that, the next question is what has been improved upon inside this housing? As that's really what's going to make the real impact.
I think his point was that there was rumor that the 153 point auto focus system was borrowed/traded from Nikon in return for improvement in sensor shift tech and maybe pixel shift. Hard to say how real it is. I think most is based on the rumor that this camera boasts 153 auto focus points, same as the D500.

I guess the question is if Pentax owns a patent to pixel shift tech, as it is used in their cameras and if it is worth something to Nikon -- enough to trade some auto focus tech in return. Certainly such patents would explain why Sony has had a somewhat odd way of implementing the tech in their cameras.
09-29-2019, 02:06 PM   #1333
Pentaxian

So, in your view, Pentax could release a K-3ii replacement only when they came up with something clearly superior to all competing cameras?
09-29-2019, 02:10 PM - 2 Likes   #1334
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
So, in your view, Pentax could release a K-3ii replacement only when they came up with something clearly superior to all competing cameras?
Rich is really focused on video implementation and in particular seeing Pentax allow for mechanical IBIS with video, as well as improving the quality of the video captured. I think he is bothered that every camera after the K5 II has taken a step back in that regard.
09-29-2019, 02:17 PM   #1335
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You are quite right. Until we know the specs we don’t know anything.

Just a feeling I have, but I think we are going to see a lot more changes than many expect and a much more competitive camera than most of us think. Where do you suppose the technology to implement IBIS came from so suddenly? Where do you suppose the money came from to develop this camera? If the AF is as much better as suspected, where do you suppose that came from?

Look up the history of Super Multi Coating - I mean the entire history, all the way back to Optical Coatings Laboratories, Inc. Pentax understood the significance of the technology, bought the patents, and made it economically viable. It is thought every lens maker save Leica licensed at least part of the SMC process.

Maybe history rhymes.

Last edited by monochrome; 09-29-2019 at 02:28 PM.
Closed Thread