Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3229 Likes Search this Thread
09-30-2019, 06:03 PM   #1396
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
The AF frame in that picture is off center and that degree of asymmetry is incredibly vexing to me.

Additional twist: Pentax moves the linear sensors on the edges of the AF frame even closer to the edge, thus making them completely useless.
I wonder how many camera bodies (all formats) Ricoh would need to sell to amortize the cost of whatever AF sensor is supposedly hiding under that mirror?

09-30-2019, 06:06 PM - 2 Likes   #1397
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
The AF frame in that picture is off center and that degree of asymmetry is incredibly vexing to me.
that's probably credit to my (not) amazing image editing skills ..and now I can't unsee the asymmetry as well.
09-30-2019, 06:34 PM - 1 Like   #1398
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by impossibro Quote
Plot twist: Ricoh bamboozles us all and just gives us the K-1's SAFOX 12 unit in the new apsc body. It technically does cover more of the the apsc frame than SAFOX 11.
Regardless of what twists you make up, the KP and the K-1ii have AF which is better than what K-3ii had, so AF in this new camera is bound to be better than what it replaces.
09-30-2019, 06:58 PM   #1399
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

More twists to come

Will the next showings release more hints as to what is currently hidden? If Ricoh is not going to the Paris Salon, will there be another unveiling around the end of November?

09-30-2019, 07:00 PM - 1 Like   #1400
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
Will the next showings release more hints as to what is currently hidden? If Ricoh is not going to the Paris Salon, will there be another unveiling around the end of November?
Probably on the actual anniversary event.
09-30-2019, 07:22 PM - 1 Like   #1401
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I wonder how many camera bodies (all formats) Ricoh would need to sell to amortize the cost of whatever AF sensor is supposedly hiding under that mirror?
Personally doubt the R&D/production costs were considerably more than producing any of their older sensors, In a characteristic move Pentax made a stepwise improvement in the AF module it isn't a drastic departure from previous designs, It is merely a refinement.
09-30-2019, 07:25 PM - 3 Likes   #1402
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Probably on the actual anniversary event.
This would be logical. The anniversary event has to go another step further. The new body will be WR of course. But it is also surprisingly leak proof!

09-30-2019, 07:26 PM   #1403
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
leak proof!
Ouch!
09-30-2019, 09:21 PM   #1404
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Regardless of what twists you make up, the KP and the K-1ii have AF which is better than what K-3ii had, so AF in this new camera is bound to be better than what it replaces.
And I have been satisfied with my K-3 so 5-10 years down the road this camera will be adequate to keep my K mount lenses going if my K-3 decides to quit!
09-30-2019, 09:27 PM - 1 Like   #1405
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by impossibro Quote
Plot twist: Ricoh bamboozles us all and just gives us the K-1's SAFOX 12 unit in the new apsc body. It technically does cover more of the the apsc frame than SAFOX 11.
I could see them just using the AF on the KP. It's extremely good.
09-30-2019, 11:03 PM - 3 Likes   #1406
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
It will be interesting, as the new Canon 90D has the highest praise ever for a Canon APS-C sensor from DPReview. "Excellent Raw image quality, both detail capture and dynamic range are up there with the best APS-C" they say. However, DPR seemed underwhelmed by the rest of the camera and didn't even give it a Gold/Silver/Bronze rating.
DPR's pro/con lists for any non-MILC products read like "great pictures, amazing camera, but this 1200€ model doesn't have the fps of a 10000€ pro camera so it gets no awards"

Ricoh truly needs to put the bottle opener under the K-2020. I am betting that's the reason they pixelated the bottom.
09-30-2019, 11:08 PM - 2 Likes   #1407
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It just occurred to me to wonder how long it takes to produce menus and more importantly manuals in 20 languages?
09-30-2019, 11:22 PM - 5 Likes   #1408
Loyal Site Supporter

perverse me

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
It takes a special type of person to buy Pentax these days - well, one of several types: you either have to be heavily invested in the system and of limited funds or be somebody who just loves the way Pentax do things or just plain individualistic and perverse but also you have to be someone who is willing to take the sneers and explain your reasons, ignore the fact that fewer and fewer 'influencers' even mention the existence of Pentax and many of those who do only do so in a derogatory way ignore the fact that they all say that MILCs are the future and DSLRs are dinosaurs and a hundred and one little disparagements. Personally, I'm proud to be part of a community with many such people here, but I also fear that they are going to have to pull something special out of the hat to bring new buyers on board -there are just too many reasons to buy other brands and too much pressure not to buy Pentax.
I agree, I am heavily invested in Pentax as well as a little perverse. Video performance has always escaped me as being anything more useful than my iphone, the reason I purchase a camera has and always will be to make photographs. Pentax plays to that strength and has always gone it's own way with marketing and product development. I still have and use my LX cameras, a model that did everything I needed and lasted in production for decades. The advent of digital sensors instead of film has shortened the product replacement cycle. Again Pentax followed it's own path with the motherboard upgrade to convert the K1 to the K1ii, there is nothing wrong with the ergonomics of the camera body so why not add new electronics in the same body, odd, but typical pentax. This new camera in development looks like it will add to the K7 5 3 lineage with a camera with improved ergonomics and the joystick function, however it turns out, I can reasonable predict that the quality of photographs capable of being produced by the camera will exceed my ability as a photographer, I look forward to purchasing it and enjoying my photography into the future
09-30-2019, 11:26 PM   #1409
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
It just occurred to me to wonder how long it takes to produce menus and more importantly manuals in 20 languages?
And what the AF function sector will include and describe! It seems a new module with new possibilities, not to mention the joystick! Sure they have a lot of work to do!
09-30-2019, 11:52 PM   #1410
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
, I can reasonable predict that the quality of photographs capable of being produced by the camera will exceed my ability as a photographer.
I know that 90% of the time my K-7 did not get good pictures it was operator error, and the remaining 10% was... operator error by insisting the camera work better in low light
Main reason I got the K-1 was the low light capabilities and giving a proper home to all those beautiful venerable lenses.

I was very close to deciding on a KP (plus starting to buy the DA Ltds) but with prices within 150€ of each other the K-1 won out.
Closed Thread