Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3229 Likes Search this Thread
10-01-2019, 08:18 AM   #1456

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
PREDICTION: The K-2 will not have a flippy screen but the K-2II will............ Marketing 101 at work.
That would actually be a really nice option to have.

10-01-2019, 08:18 AM - 1 Like   #1457
Pentaxian

It amazing the size of this thread.
I think there is a lot of genuine interest in this camera. On the other side, a new camera is a sign of 'good health' for the Ricoh/Pentax company.
Some days ago I was thinking in a substitute for my K5, and 'I confess' I was looking at some other (amazing) camera brands here and there. The fuji XT-3 focus system blew my mind. Face/eye detection is amazing, but just the basic tracking system feels so superior to present Pentax focus system (I have the K3-II, not comparable). The joystick on the new camera looks promising, and I hope Pentax developed a focus system on par with other brands.
About how many MPx, if the rumours are true, 26 is more than enough for my needs. More Mpx can be a problem in edition (slower), and the 24Mpx from my K3-II are more than I need. I'd prefer a bit jump in picture quality rather than a jump in Mpx.
I hope the new camera be available soon.
10-01-2019, 08:33 AM   #1458

It does looks like they are attempting to make a more sporty looking K-1 out of this new aps-c offering. Throw in some fire truck red along with some some titanium gold colour and voila, iron man camera.
Just kidding.

Could even replace the Nikon D6 i am considering although my expectations are not much passed the K-3 but here's too hoping.
10-01-2019, 09:13 AM   #1459
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
True, as in both things happening?
I don't think so; where are the multitude of reports? How about the claims to the contrary, including manufacturer's, about disabling OIS/VR for better performance?
We dunno exactly how Nikon bodies behave (what Soc does what) so concluding anything would be far fetched.
There may be an influence between VR and AF. There probably isn't.
I wouldn't despise the idea though...

10-01-2019, 09:27 AM - 1 Like   #1460
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
I wouldn't despise the idea though...
I'm far from despising the idea of Pentax using in-lens SR (a technology available to them) in their longer lenses, or even combining in-lens with in-body SR.
But the fact is, Pentax is behind in AF (tracking) not because they lack in-lens SR; but because of their AF module and available processing power. This means they will be able to improve a lot with or without going in-lens SR.
10-01-2019, 09:33 AM - 1 Like   #1461
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting new camera. Wondering if this will be considered a mid level or a professional level model.
10-01-2019, 09:39 AM   #1462
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm far from despising the idea of Pentax using in-lens SR (a technology available to them) in their longer lenses, or even combining in-lens with in-body SR.
But the fact is, Pentax is behind in AF (tracking) not because they lack in-lens SR; but because of their AF module and available processing power. This means they will be able to improve a lot with or without going in-lens SR.
To dramatically improve AF Pentax would need to pretty much rethink their entire processing architecture, then build a camera with fundamentally faster and deeper components. That would be a revolution. By their own words this is an evolution.

I’m lowering my expectations. Better, but not groundbreaking. Satisfactory. Not a Grand Prix camera. Not a K10D or 645D. I won’t be disappointed and hope I am surprised.

10-01-2019, 09:49 AM   #1463
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
Interesting new camera. Wondering if this will be considered a mid level or a professional level model.
It is a "K-3ii replacement".
How did you classify the K-7/5/3 line??
10-01-2019, 09:58 AM - 1 Like   #1464
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I just hope the burst speed is faster than 8.3 fps. Something closer to 10 fps would be ideal.
10-01-2019, 10:18 AM   #1465
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
To dramatically improve AF Pentax would need to pretty much rethink their entire processing architecture, then build a camera with fundamentally faster and deeper components. That would be a revolution. By their own words this is an evolution.

I’m lowering my expectations. Better, but not groundbreaking. Satisfactory. Not a Grand Prix camera. Not a K10D or 645D. I won’t be disappointed and hope I am surprised.
I won't even try to estimate what can be done - I suspect I'd need some 6 months with Pentax engineers babysitting and explaining to me how it all works. But I'd guess significant progress can be made. A new sensor module, faster or even a dedicated processor, improved algorithms; it's not rocket science but computer science and engineering.
Revolution? I never said that. Maybe, in the limited sense of improving the camera's performance way beyond any current Pentax. Beating the competition's best? I don't expect that either.
10-01-2019, 10:33 AM   #1466
Pentaxian

I honestly would like to have some lenses with in-lens SR. I have the OS Bigma and I find it to be very helpful tracking aircraft or birds and what not. With the 180mm 3.5 macro I have, I find it difficult to keep the focus point on what I'm trying to focus on when not using a tripod at near 1:1 (like when trying to photograph bugs on a fig plant where a tripod is unwieldy and cumbersome, for example). I feel that in-lens SR might help with that. I'd personally love for Ricoh to make a new run 200mm f4 macro and maybe implement some ILIS into it. It'd be nice if they would license the 180mm f2.8 macro from Sigma.

But I'm perfectly fine with no in-lens SR as well.
10-01-2019, 10:34 AM - 1 Like   #1467
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Im excited that Ricoh is releasing a new high end dslr. My only concern is that Ricoh doesnt want its own products competing with each other. If you need a flippy screen this one isnt for you.
10-01-2019, 10:37 AM   #1468
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
I honestly would like to have some lenses with in-lens SR. I have the OS Bigma and I find it to be very helpful tracking aircraft or birds and what not. With the 180mm 3.5 macro I have, I find it difficult to keep the focus point on what I'm trying to focus on when not using a tripod at near 1:1 (like when trying to photograph bugs on a fig plant where a tripod is unwieldy and cumbersome, for example). I feel that in-lens SR might help with that. I'd personally love for Ricoh to make a new run 200mm f4 macro and maybe implement some ILIS into it. It'd be nice if they would license the 180mm f2.8 macro from Sigma.

But I'm perfectly fine with no in-lens SR as well.
With AF lenses, tripod doesn't help me at all to attain focus.
Even with manual focus, the most I ever use is a monopod.
10-01-2019, 11:10 AM   #1469
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
A white label on the bottom with 'WS' written on it, what do you think it is?
"SM" for ........... (Fill in blanks)?

Steve
10-01-2019, 11:13 AM   #1470
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
The key word is "flagship", which generally means a "halo" model that demonstrates the state of art for the maker.

Steve
Closed Thread