Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2019, 11:23 PM - 1 Like   #1546
Veteran Member

I want a hybrid viewfinder.

10-01-2019, 11:31 PM   #1547
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
When this camera is release it will be, for me, a quandary between APS-C or FF. Not that I actually need FF but just used to the format from growing up on 35mm film cameras.
There really isnt any reason for going FF these days. FF format was made in film days because it was practical to use as a slide and on a lighttable. Smaller formats were fiddly and bigger made gear too expensive and big.
Todays crop cameras perform just as well as FFs from 5 or so years back, are smaller, lighter and less expensive. For a new buyer FF really doenst make much sense if you really really dont need it for a very specific reason. Just as MF and likes...
10-01-2019, 11:44 PM - 2 Likes   #1548
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveinSLC Quote
Certainly no one criticizes Leica because their video performance is poor,
DPReview: Hold my beer...
10-01-2019, 11:46 PM   #1549
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Trickortreat Quote
There really isnt any reason for going FF these days.
What about exploiting the potential the many available FF-mounts have?

It wouldn't make much sense to only use APS-C lenses on FF mounts.

10-01-2019, 11:51 PM - 1 Like   #1550
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There really isnt any reason for going FF these days. FF format was made in film days because it was practical to use as a slide and on a lighttable. Smaller formats were fiddly and bigger made gear too expensive and big.
Todays crop cameras perform just as well as FFs from 5 or so years back, are smaller, lighter and less expensive. For a new buyer FF really doenst make much sense if you really really dont need it for a very specific reason. Just as MF and likes...
That' an interesting point in view of the big push amongst manufacturers being towards FF at the moment - I suspect that there is a lot of a sense among the buying public that bigger is better, and of course it allows manufacrurers to come up with higher absolute numbers of megapixels, which seems to be a lot of what sells cameras these days. I know that in the real world a lot more APS-C cameras are sold, but they are being starved of oxygen in the press and advertising. A difficult one for the likes of Olympus and Fuji perhaps too.

Last edited by ffking; 10-02-2019 at 02:16 AM. Reason: typos
10-02-2019, 12:00 AM   #1551
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
What about exploiting the potential the many available FF-mounts have?
It wouldn't make much sense to only use APS-C lenses on FF mounts.
Yes, legacy lenses were the sole reason that FF DSLRs came to the market. But there arent really any technical reasons for FF DSLRs in modern days except for extremely niche uses.
10-02-2019, 12:22 AM - 2 Likes   #1552
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
I am convinced that it will be the best DSLR ever made by Pentax. But I'm not convinced it will have the sales they want.
And I expect they'll once again apologise for being surprised by an unexpectedly high demand.

10-02-2019, 12:24 AM   #1553
Veteran Member

I will be glad if it will be so
10-02-2019, 12:33 AM - 1 Like   #1554
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yes, legacy lenses were the sole reason that FF DSLRs came to the market. But there arent really any technical reasons for FF DSLRs in modern days except for extremely niche uses.
That is quite a bold statement IMO.
Care to explain why ?
10-02-2019, 12:40 AM   #1555
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
That is quite a bold statement IMO.
Care to explain why ?
There are number of reasons, but lets start - what are FF cameras really better at than crop?

---------- Post added 10-02-19 at 09:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
And I expect they'll once again apologise for being surprised by an unexpectedly high demand.
Marketing pushes FF and people fall for it.
10-02-2019, 12:48 AM - 1 Like   #1556
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are number of reasons, but lets start - what are FF cameras really better at than crop?

---------- Post added 10-02-19 at 09:46 AM ----------

Marketing pushes FF and people fall for it.
I bet you haven't tried the K-1 at all, am I right?
10-02-2019, 12:49 AM - 3 Likes   #1557
Pentaxian

Easy: the viewfinder.
10-02-2019, 12:51 AM - 1 Like   #1558
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At getting unusably thin DOF?

Jokes aside, with equivalent tech levels, FF has better noise control, APS-C has better frame rate for action. Different strokes for different folks. Now for most amateur photographers, there will be no real life difference, that's true. Heck, I know I went for the K-1 explicitly because of legacy lenses.
10-02-2019, 12:53 AM   #1559
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
I bet you haven't tried the K-1 at all, am I right?
havent but i played with FF gear some. what would you say that is better?
QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote

Easy: the viewfinder.
Well that, of course
10-02-2019, 12:54 AM   #1560
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, the viewfinder is miles ahead of what my K-7 has, but then again I think it's tech more than purely the crop format... the original 5D didn't have a GREAT viewfinder either. And no VF is as large as the ME one.
Closed Thread