Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3229 Likes Search this Thread
10-03-2019, 07:14 PM - 2 Likes   #1846
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Canon 7Dll doesn’t even have WiFi. You have to buy a proprietary adapter (a WiFi card you put in one of the card slots).
Now that sounds like a backward step to me.

10-03-2019, 07:19 PM   #1847
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
For me WiFi is the least desirable feature that could be added, I don't need another WiFi capable device to possibly be able to be compromised in some way. it takes mere seconds to pop in an SD card into my laptop's card slots.
Yeah if the new Pentax doesn't have wifi it won't bother me at all. Other than as a curiosity I've used the wifi on my current cameras twice, both times for long exposure night shots.
10-03-2019, 07:22 PM - 2 Likes   #1848
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

WiFi is the least desirable feature
What he said.

Why would anyone electronically hook up a perfectly good Pentax to something running Windows?
10-03-2019, 07:23 PM - 1 Like   #1849
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For me WiFi is the least desirable feature that could be added, I don't need another WiFi capable device to possibly be able to be compromised in some way. it takes mere seconds to pop in an SD card into my laptop's card slots.
Don't turn WiFi on, problem solved.

I had an interesting issue earlier this year where the SD card in my K-S2 could not be read by any of my computers, either via card reader or USB cable. I used the WiFi capability of the K-S2 to transmit the image files.

10-03-2019, 07:30 PM   #1850
Pentaxian

On another note, if the rear LCD actually is releasable then a lot of Forum Experts are going to be eating an abundance of CROW!
I've heard it tastes like chicken....
10-03-2019, 07:35 PM - 2 Likes   #1851
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Camera WiFi is a secure, closed ad hoc network or is a registered device on my WinServer network. There’s no security issue to speak of.

I use the WiFi on my K-1 and KP to move jpegs to my tablet (or phone) so I can quickly edit them and transmit to my wife tor her use. I can complete that process in 2 minutes or less. I use my K-1 mostly with legacy FF lenses and FA Limiteds and KP with DA Limiteds and the 20-40 and 28-105 for snapshots. I shoot RAW+ and develop the best RAW’s and trash the rest. I transfer files into AdobeCS by putting the SD cards in the little slot on my tower format Win10 PC. I also run 20,000 pass population resampling simulations on that PC.

I have also used my phone over WiFi to control the camera to make tripod captures.

My son is a semi-pro sports photographer who uploads real time to social media with a Canon 7D ll that uses an honest to god WiFi card. He doesn’t have native WiFi on his camera.

You guys are so sophisticated with your MacOS / Linux. I guess I’m a rube.
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Yeah if the new Pentax doesn't have wifi it won't bother me at all. Other than as a curiosity I've used the wifi on my current cameras twice, both times for long exposure night shots.
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
What he said.

Why would anyone electronically hook up a perfectly good Pentax to something running Windows?

Last edited by monochrome; 10-03-2019 at 08:16 PM.
10-03-2019, 07:38 PM - 1 Like   #1852
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I always vowed I would not buy another camera until my K10D died, this morning put my battery in and the camera will not turn on!

Just in time for this new beast! (OK maybe a few months)

Now dreaming of a price point around US$1850.00

10-03-2019, 07:38 PM - 3 Likes   #1853
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Spare a thought for the moderation team. These are desperate times....
HA the rumor mill is in high gear! I at least hope they adopt USB-C, With the increased bandwidth of USB-C interface it would be much easier to tether the camera. Also they could dispose of the HDMI port which would increase space on the camera for more useful I/O features.

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
f this is to mean a rear LCD that can be removed or released and articulates with a press of a button then my question is, why would anybody WANT such a thing?
And how would such a display be powered? It is better to use a wireless connection to a smartphone. I've had to slap down some DPR users who made similar suggestions.

Last edited by Digitalis; 10-03-2019 at 07:44 PM.
10-03-2019, 08:07 PM   #1854
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm with you on that one Mark!
I think that also means it's a fixed screen. Still with me?
10-03-2019, 08:07 PM   #1855
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zooland Quote
Especially when their twitter spokesperson said that Ricoh has no plans to unveil a new camera [COLOR="Silver"]
Smoke and mirrors!
10-03-2019, 08:08 PM - 1 Like   #1856
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
There's always a lot of moaning around features, and soul searching about what it means to be Pentax etc.
We're all Pentax users, and we all have different use cases and therefore different personal requirements.

I don't care that my Pentax has features I wont use, but if they're there they should be good and aligned to others in the market.
I don't use WiFi myself, as I process every file that comes off my Pentax (akin to developing int eh old film days) but I'm fine that others use it and have the expectation that Pentax delivers something decent for them.
Likewise for in camera HDR or any in camera JPG processing options etc.

I'd like to think others could take that stance when I ask for better video capabilities...
10-03-2019, 08:11 PM - 1 Like   #1857
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
I have to agree with that.

ps; where did you get your 55-3000mm lens
Ha! I must have made that signature 5+ years ago and never noticed the typo. Probably time to update it.
10-03-2019, 08:14 PM - 1 Like   #1858
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote

I'd like to think others could take that stance when I ask for better video capabilities...
Sorry Richard!
10-03-2019, 08:15 PM   #1859
Pentaxian

Is that possible with a battery the capacity of the D-Li90 battery that will probably be in the new camera?
Capacity of the li90 is 1800mAH, most cell phones are 3000mAH+ so I don't see why they couldn't do it.
10-03-2019, 08:47 PM - 1 Like   #1860
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
October Hint Release : Shutter button.
The Forum : IT HAS A MIND CONTROLLED SHUTTER BUTTON!
With both channel and group support.

Steve
Closed Thread