Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3229 Likes Search this Thread
10-03-2019, 08:48 PM   #1861
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote
Charging via USB would be more than welcome.
One word in caution: HEAT

Steve

10-03-2019, 09:02 PM - 1 Like   #1862
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GordonZA Quote
I always vowed I would not buy another camera until my K10D died, this morning put my battery in and the camera will not turn on!
Wow, you are disciplined!

QuoteQuote:
Now dreaming of a price point around US$1850.00
Have you given any thought to the K-1?
10-03-2019, 09:03 PM   #1863
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Stevebrot has a point: I have an external USB-C M.2 NVME drive I use for speedy transport libraries of RAW and TIFF files, this thing gets so hot my cat won't sleep on it.
10-03-2019, 09:26 PM - 1 Like   #1864
Site Supporter

That "prototype" looks pretty much production ready. There's no way there's going to be any articulating screen here. At this point, any convoluted mechanism that's slim enough and sits that flush with the body is literally asking for dust and particle ingress, chipped edges around the glass and a host of other durability issues.

I'm expecting the following from this camera:
- fixed touchscreen + proximity sensor to disable the screen when looking through the vf.
- improved sensor + AF
- modern connectivity (better Wi-Fi, usb-c, uhs-ii, etc)
- built in gps (or Bluetooth for geo-tagging via smartphone gps)
- dual card slots

Honestly, PENTAX doesn't need to bring anything super revolutionary to the table as long the feature set brings the performance in line with the other modern dslr/dslm cameras. Pentax will probably become the go-to brand for dslrs much like Leica is the go-to brand for rangefinders (based on how the industry is shifting to mirrorless).

10-03-2019, 09:30 PM - 2 Likes   #1865
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Wow, you are disciplined!

Have you given any thought to the K-1?

Considered K1 but decided the limits on FPS made it only barely better than my K10D for my purposes, fantastic camera but wasn’t right for me and my photography.
10-03-2019, 09:32 PM - 1 Like   #1866
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
One word in caution: HEAT
Probably yes, although the charging current via USB can be reduced, along with increased charge time, that's not great.

I bought a usb charger so that I'd be able to recharge my D-LI90 on the go, and for me that was an eye opener, as I now think I'd not have much use of usb charging on a camera, I'd still use an external charger anyway. Let me explain...: the charging time of a D-LI90 is about 6 hours, so I need to have two battery anyway, one in the camera and one spare. If the camera in body is discharged I don't have time to wait for a usb recharge in camera, because it is much faster to remove the empty battery from the camera and insert a fully charged one. I have some use of the external usb charger for charging a spare battery in the car while driving, otherwise recharging batteries over night in the hotel room with the normal BC90 charger is just fine and it costs nothing. IMO, USB charging in camera is more for adding some extra charge when not using the camera but not a substitute for charging batteries externally.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 10-03-2019 at 09:39 PM.
10-03-2019, 09:42 PM - 1 Like   #1867
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Sounds like a wish list to me, possibly influenced by our discussions about the LCD.
IMO it's just a tease with some makeup as to look like a wishlist.

IMO he's teasing and leaking. Cryptfully as always.

The only real suprise to me is the said button for new mechanics.

10-03-2019, 09:42 PM - 3 Likes   #1868
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

USB charging would be useful for time lapse or astro-photography. I've recently done some time lapse video with the K-1 and the limitation is the battery. The ability to plug the camera into a USB-C charger or external battery pack would be useful regardless of whether anyone would use it to charge the battery.

And my Sony rx100 can charge from a USB charger or by removing the battery and putting it in the charger. I find I use both methods about equally. The little Sony just gets plugged in like my cell phone when I'm done with it.
10-03-2019, 09:43 PM - 2 Likes   #1869
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
October Hint Release : Shutter button.
The Forum : IT HAS A MIND CONTROLLED SHUTTER BUTTON!

That's what I'd expect out of that

NFC would also be nice...
K-1 prototype had NFC. A pity they removed it.
10-03-2019, 09:46 PM   #1870
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Does anyone currently really have issues around this? The info button presents nearly everything in a matrix on the rear screen, where the 4 way buttons and wheels allow you to select and change things quickly.
Holding a top button with your finger and scrolling the rear wheel allows you to set ISO etc, and your can store these in user modes as well.

Seems pretty good already?
IMO this is genius.
10-03-2019, 09:50 PM - 3 Likes   #1871
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
That would be my guess too. What's nice about that is that it has the potential to become a one-handed operation, therefore easier than the KP and K-1II set-up.

Even better, they can improve it with firmware updates
10-03-2019, 10:13 PM   #1872
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
K-1 prototype had NFC. A pity they removed it.
What NFC would be used for on a camera? (just curious, because I don't see a use for it, NFC is near field communication, inferior data rate vs WiFi but NFC range is tight for applications that require secured data transters such as for door access and electronic payments).
10-03-2019, 10:25 PM   #1873

K-S2 has NFC, I've used for connecting to wi-fi, but no big deal. Unjustified, IMHO.
10-03-2019, 10:40 PM - 1 Like   #1874
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Stevebrot has a point: I have an external USB-C M.2 NVME drive I use for speedy transport libraries of RAW and TIFF files, this thing gets so hot my cat won't sleep on it.
That must be awfully hot
10-03-2019, 10:43 PM   #1875
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
HA the rumor mill is in high gear! I at least hope they adopt USB-C, With the increased bandwidth of USB-C interface it would be much easier to tether the camera. Also they could dispose of the HDMI port which would increase space on the camera for more useful I/O features.
USB-C by itself isn't much interesting, it's just a connector.
Coupled with USB 3/3.1/3.2 and charging capability it would be very nice.

On a side note, AFAIK, Pentax DSLRs never embedded (till now) charging circuits, did they?
The GRIII does so maybe....
Closed Thread