Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3229 Likes Search this Thread
10-06-2019, 05:59 AM   #2086
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
$3500? Seems about right, if you mean only the down payment
Down payment? Surely you mean the monthly payment.

10-06-2019, 06:14 AM   #2087
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Probably the same battery, definitely not the same grip, no Wi-Fi button.
Grip won't be the same - body shape is slightly different around the base of the lens mount, and there is also a joy stick in the new body that a user would want replicated on the grip.
10-06-2019, 06:39 AM   #2088

Will I buy the new Pentax? If it hasn't got a fully-articulating screen like my K70 then definitely not! That's the feature that brought me back to Pentax, and why even the K1 with its part-articulating screen wasn't on my short list

It's like air conditioning in a car, once you've had it most of us would never buy another car without it.
10-06-2019, 06:47 AM - 2 Likes   #2089
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
I'm stunned anyone would want a car or a suv, ute's are the go man
They haven't sold anything like a ute in the US since about 1987.

10-06-2019, 06:58 AM   #2090
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
As I recall it, one of the folks from Ricoh basically said, “oh, we’re surprised anyone wants an APS-C ‘flagship’ now that we have a full frame ‘flagship’”...

-Eric
Now we know who’s idea the Pentax KP was
10-06-2019, 07:04 AM - 1 Like   #2091
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Currently both GM and Ford are literally saying "I'm stunned anyone would want a car, since we now have SUVs in eight different sizes."
Very true! To that all I can say is, may the W123 chassis outlive the SUV scourge. My 1984 300TD is still going strong, but should it come
to an end I'd readily seek out another rather than own a Rav4 or Murano.
10-06-2019, 07:09 AM   #2092
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I think there is definitely space for three APS-C models:

Entry level - K-70 and its successor
Compact travel/street enthusiast option - KP
Prosumer safari/sports option - K-new

The question is whether there is room for a second tier of full frame: 24MP sports, or (dare I say it?) mirrorless....
Personally I don't find the KP to be noticeably smaller in use than my K-70. Hold them both with even an FA77 mounted and I suspect you'd realize the same.

BUT...
The KP is certainly more "cluttered", adding more dials and buttons to a only-so-slightly smaller physical form. I can almost use the K-70 blindfolded. It's a familiar layout with enough spacing between all the controls that there is rarely any confusion about which one you're manipulating. Now if you're a landscape photographer or studio shooter who takes their time to set up a shot it's no big deal. You can slow down enough to pay attention to what you're doing. Run and gun or quickly changing conditions my K70 will win out every single time, much quicker to lift, set, focus, and shoot. You can't imagine how many times I've set up my KP for a for a peculiar lighting condition and then rather than pressing the awkwardly positioned back-button focus press the green button instead.

Yes, the KP has some features that the K70 does not and yes I've made use of them, DoF bracketing being one. Depending on the kind of photos you enjoy taking you might prefer the more compact (i call it cluttered) controls layout and quick set options, and if it is the only camera you have you eventually get used to it all anyway. It's still not as comfortable to hold as a K70 and moving between different bodies you notice it.

Going forward the K70 definitely serves a purpose. It's an extremely capable entry to even prosumer grade APS-c, bang for buck one of the truly great camera values in the marketplace IMHO. No one could tell the difference between two images taken at the same time on both a KP and K70. Photo quality is identical, with a lens mounted the size is close to the same, even the body alone in reality, and I don't feel any difference in weight.

Once the new Pentax drops what purpose does a KP fill? It's really not much smaller than the already compact K70. The grips are far too shallow, all three of them. If I didn't have a Spyder handstrap on mine I'd always be concerned with dropping it especially in a crowd.

It doesn't offer faster focusing or IMO even more usable high-ISO shots which was initially one of the big draws. I can't think of any time where my KP saved me from missing a shot that my K70 would have been incapable of. Amazing photos are captured by both and TBH there have been times where the KP was a better choice for a given situation, but it's not worth the overall trade-off in comfort and security. Heck even installing the hand strap with the holster pin I keep on my cameras still have access to the battery door was a challenge. I couldn't use the spare I already had as it was always going to block the door. No way around it. I had to buy the the smaller "mirrorless" pin and even that was tricky. And guess what? It still put a small scratch near the lens mount in order to use it.

IMO the KP is a nice camera and if it is the only one you will own and you want every conceivable situation covered then it is one really good choice. More customization options, higher ISO's (?), improved menu which really needs to make it's way to a K-70 II... but all that will be covered with a new APS-c flagship. Why would the KP stick around? Just oh-so-slightly smaller camera body that isn't as secure in the hand and less balanced with a larger lens? I don't see a place for a KPII in the future. If anything it may morph into some test of a mirrorless if they'll just fix the obvious.

All just my opinions of course.

But I do see a future for a K-70-ish one.

Last edited by gatorguy; 10-06-2019 at 07:18 AM.
10-06-2019, 07:09 AM   #2093

What is this?

Twitter
Attached Images

10-06-2019, 07:12 AM   #2094
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Wait a minute, how did the conversation end up with cars and SUVs?.

Let's put it back on track. Who knows if this thing will pop out the camera as someone said, the camera pops out of the screen. Maybe this thing will have a 32 megapixel sensor. At least its greater than 26. It's just my wild guess.
10-06-2019, 07:15 AM - 2 Likes   #2095
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by torge Quote
What is this?
They're previewing their 100th anniversary cake
10-06-2019, 07:23 AM   #2096
Pentaxian

What is this?

Twitter
From the tweet (I just use google translate) it's the 3d printed model of the prototype. So it's a picture of the K-New next to the KP and then there's one in hand too.

Last edited by MikeyBugs95; 10-06-2019 at 07:28 AM.
10-06-2019, 07:26 AM   #2097
Pentaxian

What is this?

Twitter
A 3D-printed model of the K-New made by some guy on the basis of some 100 shots of the prototype under glass and reported upon by Kimio Tanaka.
10-06-2019, 07:29 AM   #2098
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
From the tweet (I just use google translate) it's the 3d printed prototype. So it's a picture of the K-New prototype next to the KP and then there's one in hand too.

Twitter
it's not THE 3D-printed prototype. It's a 3D-printed mock-up of the prototype displayed by Ricoh, made by some guy on the basis of pictures taken. The one in hand, further down the series of tweets, is a custom KP with a specific 3D-printed grip (including a functional power switch and shutter release) made by the same guy.

Last edited by Mistral75; 10-06-2019 at 07:34 AM.
10-06-2019, 07:32 AM - 1 Like   #2099
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My opinion.
You don’t need a moveable screen for a fast action camera.
K-1 has a moveable screen
KP has a moveable screen
K-70 has a moveable screen.
You’ll know what to do.
10-06-2019, 07:33 AM - 1 Like   #2100
Forum Member

What is this?

Twitter
If I read his tweets correctly, it's a 3D-printed model made by a "young" pentax user in about 10 hours.
The guy also made a K-3 style battery grip with working on/off switch for his KP: Twitter. Amazing skills and enthusiasm.
Closed Thread