Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3229 Likes Search this Thread
10-06-2019, 09:47 AM - 2 Likes   #2116
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Spoiler: It's not rockets, the screen becomes a drone. It doubles as an airborne camera as well. Wedding photographers will love it.

They also use it to determine focus distance to help with AF. I've seen secret footage of a replicated DPReview AF test where the detached screen kept hovering over the biker's head (just out of frame) and kept signalling the correct distance to the camera. Every shot in focus. Every single one.

EDIT: Yes, gatorguy and MikeyBug95, all those boxes are ticked.

That's why the camera will be called "K-9".
Breaking news .. Ricoh is dissing cats. Pentax not suitable for facebook cat picts, Pentax is doomed

10-06-2019, 09:48 AM   #2117
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
Probably won’t pass the shower test
At least the rider will have something to wash with after the bike test.
10-06-2019, 09:49 AM   #2118
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Burke Quote
Many of us can't afford a dedicated camera for action photography. Or even if we can, many don't want to carry an extra body around with us.

Moreover, I want the versatility of a fully-articulating screen rather than the less flexible screens on the KP and K1.

Not putting a fully-articulating screen on the top of the range camera is a bit like saying you can have air conditioning on a base model car but not on the top of the range!
Actually, all digital cameras have an LCD, just as all cars now have AC. Premium cars have multi-zone, individually managed climate control systems. Basic cars have cold air coming out of all the vents.

No matter which brand, your requirement will limit your choices. I don’t believe Flagship requires an articulating nor even moveable screen. A fully articulating screen is a consumer feature. Cameras are compromises, built with features to support a specific purpose. Selfies are not a primary use purpose for a premium camera.

Pentax made this decision for a reason, whatever reason it is. Apparently they don’t believe this camera needs a moveable screen. I certainly have no use for a fully articulating video/selfie screen. K-1 and KP satisfy all my screen needs.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-06-2019 at 10:48 AM.
10-06-2019, 09:51 AM   #2119
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
There have to be six or eight people who have a cabinet full of legacy manual focus zooms that they want to do 1960s style sport shooting
Sounds like the basis for a crowd funding project......

10-06-2019, 09:53 AM - 2 Likes   #2120
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
I'm stunned anyone would want a car or a suv, ute's are the go man
Isn't a 'ute' a young child?

10-06-2019, 09:54 AM - 3 Likes   #2121
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Burke Quote
Many of us can't afford a dedicated camera for action photography. Or even if we can, many don't want to carry an extra body around with us.

Moreover, I want the versatility of a fully-articulating screen rather than the less flexible screens on the KP and K1.

Not putting a fully-articulating screen on the top of the range camera is a bit like saying you can have air conditioning on a base model car but not on the top of the range!
Pentax can add me to the list of users that don't mind the fixed back screen. I thought that I would like having a non-fixed screen, however, I think I can count on one hand the times that I've actually used it on my K1-II. Most of those were to just check out the feature, otherwise, it has just stayed put. If the new camera doesn't have a "pop-out" screen, I'll still buy it.

I mainly do bird photography, however, so an action-oriented APSC camera is what I've been wanting. I love the IQ and have found the focus speed of the K1-II excellent under most conditions, but I find myself missing the extra megapixels in crop mode while photographing birds and occasionally run up against limits of the buffer write speed. I also have the K-3, and always found the noise level and detail loss above ISO 800 a major drawback. I love the K1-II for its low light abilities, and I am really looking forward to seeing what the new flagship APSC camera can do.
10-06-2019, 09:57 AM - 2 Likes   #2122
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
Ricoh is dissing cats.
True. The DPReview "review" will state that it is "this time not large, but still intimidating (for cats)".

10-06-2019, 09:58 AM   #2123
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by torge Quote
What is this?
Ooo, I know that one.

Pentax Blancmange!
10-06-2019, 10:18 AM   #2124
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
KP on the left. I'm not convinced the scale is respected.
I looks like Image based modelling has been applied using images of the prototype under glass. If applied correctly the scale can easily be assigned by indicating some measures of the mount. By all this effort put into this I'm pretty sure it has been considered. There can still be a downscaling during the printing process, but I also doubt that. It might be missing some mm at the bottom as this might have been hard to see if the photos are from a standing object.
I assume this comparison might be quite accurate:
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Size comparison with the K-3
10-06-2019, 10:18 AM - 1 Like   #2125
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tmlawes Quote
Pentax can add me to the list of users that don't mind the fixed back screen. I thought that I would like having a non-fixed screen, however, I think I can count on one hand the times that I've actually used it .... If the new camera doesn't have a "pop-out" screen, I'll still buy it.

Ditto for me. I went from a K-70 to a K-3II and I barely miss the flippy screen. There are some times where I would definitely like to have one, like when I'm doing an attempt at astro but otherwise, I'm fine with the fixed screen.
10-06-2019, 10:28 AM   #2126
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

probably flippy screen use is correlated strongly with tripod use, hich for me is pretty much the only time I use live view and I often set the camera in unciomfotably high or l positions to get my eye to the viewfinder - but when I'm doing action or wildlife or street or macro or just casual photography I dont use a tripod and I use the viefinder almost exclusively
10-06-2019, 10:29 AM - 1 Like   #2127
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by torge Quote
What is this?

Twitter
Looks like a Pentax bar of APSC Soap.
10-06-2019, 10:44 AM   #2128

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Looks like a Pentax bar of APSC Soap.
Prototype vs mock-up
10-06-2019, 10:47 AM - 1 Like   #2129
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Prototype vs mock-up
Well actually its the real Soap......not a prototype!
10-06-2019, 11:09 AM   #2130
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
THis will be a very very long thread
This one may set a new record.
Closed Thread