Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2019, 07:25 PM   #2176
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I think Ricoh should better come out with the specs. Forum members' imagination are going wild. The next thing I'll hear is this camera can go on its own to outer space do photography and back. Controls will be on the pop out screen left in the hands of the photographer.
K10D already did the "go to space" thing way back when

10-06-2019, 07:30 PM - 1 Like   #2177
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From 2008.Pentax k10d in space - PentaxForums.com
10-06-2019, 07:49 PM   #2178
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Here we go.The camera isn’t even announced yet and the sniping has started. I guess the screen will be the focus of the PentaxIsWrong crowd here - and no doubt at DPR.
Yep Ricoh/Pentax is Damned if they do and Damned if they don't! Pentax is pretty well doomed either way.
10-06-2019, 08:04 PM - 2 Likes   #2179
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Yep Ricoh/Pentax is Damned if they do and Damned if they don't! Pentax is pretty well doomed either way.
It’s all good. Nothing has everything everyone wants. I really like my KP - but battery, and back AF button placement and 1 slot and . . . . .

K-1 is as close to perfect for me as it gets.

10-06-2019, 08:08 PM   #2180
Veteran Member

I guess the screen will be the focus of the PentaxIsWrong crowd here - and no doubt at DPR.
I really don't think Ricoh give a brass razoo about DPReview and either should Pentaxians. They don't have any influence over the Japanese photograph market.
10-06-2019, 08:15 PM - 1 Like   #2181
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Agree, it's now going in circles and I'm going to step out also.

Keen to see what's officially announced re capabilities now, and that hasn't been released yet.
Body wise it all looks fine. It's what's inside that will seal the deal for me now.
I agree. We keep going in circles trying to guess what we'll actually know only when Pentax tells us more.
I keep planning to leave, but then somebody comes up with another idea, and I'm sucked in again.
To me, the primary issue is that Pentax has taken a new step towards finally filling the gap left by the end of production of the K-3ii .....
maybe the gap will make more sense once the new camera has been announced - maybe we'll never understand it.
10-06-2019, 08:19 PM   #2182
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Maybe they think touch screen and moveable screen don’t go together. I didn’t write the use case for the camera and I didn’t make the design decisions that would meet the use case, but I imagine Pentax has a strong reason for making the screen whatever the screen is.

My point isn’t to take a position on whether Pentax is right or wrong. My point is they make three other cameras that have moveable screens - three different kinds of moveable screens. If a moveable screen is the highest {USER} priority and one of those is more suited to [USER} needs {USER} should buy one of the other cameras.
I'm not taking a position on whether Pentax is right or wrong either. I was responding to posters here, not criticizing Pentax. And I agree - once the new camera(s) are available, I will choose the one that best suits my wants (I don't need anything).

10-06-2019, 10:46 PM   #2183
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

I do intend to stop reading and posting to this thread though. There really isn’t more to discuss until the actual configuration is known.
Yep, thinks so too.
10-06-2019, 10:52 PM   #2184
Pentaxian

There is some sort of enjoyable thing to try to quess what is in the box still. Curiosity. That would be the word. I believe if that curiosity would be taken in also when we talk about new things and these fixed screen things, it might be more enjoyable. No one outside of developers know why they have come up with something like this. Perhaps indeed it is because of good experience with GR. Maybe there is surprise. Perhaps it actually is already so good that it can be viewed from allaround. Or maybe Pentax is more like lift it up to your eye like DSLR and shoot kind a camera

---------- Post added 10-07-19 at 08:58 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
The thing is that the K-1 and the K-new appear to be completely different cameras. The tilt screen makes more than perfect sense on the K-1 perhaps not on the K-new depending on the specs.
We don’t know yet. Perhaps we are seeing what we see because of some sort new tech? Like touchscreen. That is handy too, but it also slow things down. You really need to work with screen more? Which would be good if one could also tilt it? Or not. I personally am not expecting performance like D500 for example, happy to be proven wrong. But there might be some other kind of surprise what could go around on fixed thing like what we see?

---------- Post added 10-07-19 at 09:00 ----------

And waiting for things like green 3-D prints and others do kerp me coming back on this thread untill next new news is up
10-06-2019, 11:36 PM - 1 Like   #2185
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, I'm out of here too.

Can someone wake me up when there's some actual news?
10-06-2019, 11:56 PM   #2186
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Yeah, I'm out of here too.

Can someone wake me up when there's some actual news?
What?? No, can't wait until there's some actual news. Won't get enough posts to qualify in the raffles. Let the wild speculations continue.
10-07-2019, 12:04 AM - 3 Likes   #2187
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I do think t's time somebody dropped a vague hint at a possibility through an unconfirmed source - just enough to keep things rolling along for another ten pages or so
10-07-2019, 12:25 AM   #2188
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I never speculated during my 4/3 days. But in Pentax land, speculation gives life to the forum. Ordinary conversations turn to wild ideas. Based on our comments I think that's why cameras are coming out slow because Ricoh is trying to make a camera that will fit everyone. In the end they can't accommodate everything and some will start complaining. Speculation is normal in this forum.
10-07-2019, 12:26 AM   #2189
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tmlawes Quote
Pentax can add me to the list of users that don't mind the fixed back screen. I thought that I would like having a non-fixed screen, however, I think I can count on one hand the times that I've actually used it on my K1-II. Most of those were to just check out the feature, otherwise, it has just stayed put. If the new camera doesn't have a "pop-out" screen, I'll still buy it.

I mainly do bird photography, however, so an action-oriented APSC camera is what I've been wanting. I love the IQ and have found the focus speed of the K1-II excellent under most conditions, but I find myself missing the extra megapixels in crop mode while photographing birds and occasionally run up against limits of the buffer write speed. I also have the K-3, and always found the noise level and detail loss above ISO 800 a major drawback. I love the K1-II for its low light abilities, and I am really looking forward to seeing what the new flagship APSC camera can do.
Totally agree. The screen is an important issue but others are far more important. If the new APS-C doesn't bring new advanced features on the table mostly improved AF/AF-C performance and a deeper buffer then the articulated screen is of not importance to me, as I see no reason not to buy the KP or K-70 with those screens.
10-07-2019, 12:37 AM - 2 Likes   #2190
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I do wonder if all of the other boxes are checked (faster AF, more AF points, better video, bigger buffer, better IBIS, better still image quality, etc) how much it will bother people if the rear LCD is fixed. Of course it will be a bit of an aggravation, but I think people who really want the other aspects of this camera will just hold their noses and buy it.

Of course, there are plenty of people who have claimed who to be interested in the K3 II sequel (which didn't have an articulating screen) who will find reasons why they don't want it. And I think the main reason will actually be price. Because while Pentax typically has gear that is reasonably priced for what it is, I don't expect this camera to be cheap by any means. Unfortunately, there are an awful lot of folks who want D500 level features for K70 price and that ain't happenin' folks...
I expect Pentax to make their style of D500 camera. I don't expect it to have so advanced AF-C features (I would love it though if they have done such a huge jump ahead!) but differentiate in other features like IQ and better SR that will provide even higher quality handheld pixel shifted images. I don't care if the camera has 10+fps, for me 8 are adequate provided they offer a higher resolution sensor 26Mpxl or even more that will beat the faster cameras in IQ and give space for croppping compared to the 20Mpxl sensor Nikon uses. The buffer though is very important to me also. I would like a 40+ RAW buffer that would leave nothing to be desired. Imagine a fast camera with high level AF performance and IQ better than the KP! That is the camera I would preorder after the initial reviews and hands on tests (from those I trust).
Closed Thread