Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2019, 06:14 PM   #2476
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
And what will come after the D899? I still affirm sequential model numbering is road to a dead end, just as the K-1 was an immediate dead end
that forced a ditch into the grass to present the K-1(too).
I never said it's not conducive to long term naming system, just that it's very ordered and, to me, easy to understand. But they could always go to D900. Personally, I think that the skipping of numbers (I.e.: going from D300 to D500, or D810 to D850) isn't a good naming scheme for long term series. If you want a decent long term system, increasing only by 10's isn't too bad. Starting from D800, you get 10 iterations before the line runs out and you either need to continue the line in the 900's or end the line and have the 900 line be the start a 'new' line. Same with the D500 series. If they wanted the numbers from 100 to 500 to be used for a single series of cameras, they could have simply picked up at 400 instead of 500. Nikon would then have 400 and 500 available before running into the start of the FF camera numberings. Instead, now they can't advance that line unless they decide to advance by 10s or kill the 600 line and use the 600 line as a continuation of their advanced APS-C line.

With Pentax, they've shorted themselves naming wise by jumping from K-7 to K-5 after only 1 model then K-5 to K-3. Granted, there were 3 models in the K-5 line but if they had kept advancing the models while staying in the same lines, they'd have significantly more naming options to choose from regarding their future cameras. They can't go back down the list (K-8, K-6, K-4) because then it would signal that the camera is a lower specc'd model and isn't the K-3II successor that everyone wants. They can't really go up because they probably want to reserve K-2 for a potential future FF camera and they wouldn't want to use K-0 because it would be signalling that it's replacing the K-1 as flagship (and that the guys in charge of naming have gone out of their skulls). Their only options, really, are to 1) either come up with a completely creative name not based on the current naming system, 2) extend the K-3 line to K-3III, or 3) completely revamp the naming system entirely renaming currently available cameras. Option 3 is most likely, probably, almost certainly not in the picture because it would cause a lot of confusion among current Pentax users. That's something that they don't need

In conclusion, the naming conventions of Nikon and Pentax are elegantly simple and relatively easy to understand but not really optimized for the naming of future products.

10-09-2019, 06:58 PM   #2477
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How do you all envision the joystick being used? It's actually something that's never been on my want list. I'm thinking moving a focus point, but I use spot focus and hold and recompose if needed for the majority of my shooting. I find that very quick and easy and have never felt a need to try the existing movable focus point. And I guess menu navigation would be another possible use. What else?
10-09-2019, 07:09 PM - 1 Like   #2478
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am amazed that any one besides Ricoh marketing people would spend a minute on this issue.
10-09-2019, 07:21 PM   #2479
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
How do you all envision the joystick being used? It's actually something that's never been on my want list. I'm thinking moving a focus point, but I use spot focus and hold and recompose if needed for the majority of my shooting. I find that very quick and easy and have never felt a need to try the existing movable focus point. And I guess menu navigation would be another possible use. What else?
Nikon has a joystick controlled focus point that is used on their Z-7; it works well, but I don't know how many actually use it.

10-09-2019, 07:39 PM   #2480
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Nikon has a joystick controlled focus point that is used on their Z-7; it works well, but I don't know how many actually use it.
I've wondered about the speed of using it and how much dexterity is required.
10-09-2019, 07:42 PM   #2481
Pentaxian

I've actually wondered how it would be used for focusing. Do you use it while you are autofocusing to keep the focus points on the subject? Or do you just use it to designate a subject and then the camera does the rest? Ok... Now I need to watch some videos about how Nikon implements it...
10-09-2019, 07:45 PM   #2482
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
I've wondered about the speed of using it and how much dexterity is required.
I only used it during their show in our town - handheld - to shift focus between a pillar and the counter behind it; I'm not sure it is faster than - or even as fast as - touch screen, however.

10-09-2019, 11:16 PM - 1 Like   #2483
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not sure it is faster than - or even as fast as - touch screen, however.
you can use it with the vewfinder, of course, unlike the touch screen - provided you're not left eyed
10-10-2019, 01:32 AM   #2484
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
I've actually wondered how it would be used for focusing. Do you use it while you are autofocusing to keep the focus points on the subject? Or do you just use it to designate a subject and then the camera does the rest? (...)
The latter. It's quick and handy actually.
10-10-2019, 01:45 AM   #2485
Pentaxian

The mystery button could also be an automatic hyperfocal focusing depending on the current settings !
10-10-2019, 02:14 AM   #2486
Pentaxian

Even using sel-9 and then moving that goup around with 4 way pad is not ’that’ handy. I could think that joystick would be better for that.
10-10-2019, 02:29 AM - 1 Like   #2487
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The joystick is actually used in conjunction with live view.

After placing the dial in the LV position, the back lcd unlocks, and the pan and tilt of the LCD screen can be adjusted using the joystick.

Similar to a cars side view mirrors.
This allows both hands to be on the camera at all times while maintaining optimal view of the back LCD when shooting from low angles.
10-10-2019, 02:33 AM - 2 Likes   #2488
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
All I can say after reading the last few pages is that I hope you all have a bunch of raffle tickets already...

(I've had a hard time making the 70 posts I've made since the beginning of October. I guess I just don't have enough to say).
10-10-2019, 02:39 AM   #2489
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I somehow got over 200 in a flurry of quips and sarcasm in the news threads . Enough is enough. It was fun for three or four days but it's honestly turning into a scratched record to see these threads go looping back and back and back...
10-10-2019, 02:41 AM   #2490
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
the first 100 seem to come easily, didn't think I'd get anywhere near another 100, but here I am sitting at 66 with plenty of time left to go
Closed Thread