Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2019, 02:54 AM   #2491
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Nikon has a joystick controlled focus point that is used on their Z-7; it works well, but I don't know how many actually use it.
I think someone has mentioned earlier in this thread that this camera may have benefited from shared information between Pentax and Nikon.

10-10-2019, 03:05 AM   #2492
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
All I can say after reading the last few pages is that I hope you all have a bunch of raffle tickets already...

(I've had a hard time making the 70 posts I've made since the beginning of October. I guess I just don't have enough to say).
This is my tenth post this month.

(And the first post not related to the subject being discussed)
10-10-2019, 03:09 AM   #2493
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I predict quite a scramble at the end of the month, will keep the Mods. busy
10-10-2019, 04:43 AM   #2494
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
I've actually wondered how it would be used for focusing. Do you use it while you are autofocusing to keep the focus points on the subject? Or do you just use it to designate a subject and then the camera does the rest? Ok... Now I need to watch some videos about how Nikon implements it...
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
The latter. It's quick and handy actually.
I assume that requires functional AF-C. If you use the joystick to select a person, do you then have to hold the focus button to keep the camera tracking that person? YouTube is probably my friend here.

It certainly would be nice to select my kid from the 22 people on the soccer field and have the camera track him and keep him in focus, instead of doing it mostly manually and ending up with 20, 30, 40% of my shots focused on the trees, bench, goal, cars in the parking lot, other players, etc.

10-10-2019, 05:15 AM - 1 Like   #2495
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've actually wondered how it would be used for focusing. Do you use it while you are autofocusing to keep the focus points on the subject? Or do you just use it to designate a subject and then the camera does the rest? Ok... Now I need to watch some videos about how Nikon implements it...
I'm not sure if face detection will be included in this next model, but I think one cool function would be to move from face to face instead of focus point to point.
10-10-2019, 06:38 AM   #2496
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
I'm not sure if face detection will be included in this next model, but I think one cool function would be to move from face to face instead of focus point to point.
Competitors offer that too.
10-10-2019, 06:44 AM   #2497
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zooland Quote
I think someone has mentioned earlier in this thread that this camera may have benefited from shared information between Pentax and Nikon.
Yes, but Nikon had to completely redo focusing when they went to MILC - one of the issues relating to MILC - from PDAF to CDAF, so anything new they've done in this area would be a little use to Pentax.

lc -

10-10-2019, 06:54 AM   #2498
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for all the input on possible ways the joystick may be implemented. It looks like an attractive feature.
10-10-2019, 07:02 AM   #2499
Pentaxian

Yes, but Nikon had to completely redo focusing when they went to MILC - one of the issues relating to MILC - from PDAF to CDAF, so anything new they've done in this area would be a little use to Pentax.

lc -
Yes but the speculation is that Nikon shared the D500 AF tech with Pentax and Pentax shared IBIS tech and/or other tech with Nikon. Still just an unsubstantiated rumor but that's what it's about.
10-10-2019, 07:05 AM   #2500
Pentaxian

Yes but the speculation is that Nikon shared the D500 AF tech with Pentax and Pentax shared IBIS tech and/or other tech with Nikon. Still just an unsubstantiated rumor but that's what it's about.
In addition, modern mirrorless cameras use on-sensor PDAF or a combination of PDAF and CDAF ('hybrid autofocus').
10-10-2019, 07:07 AM   #2501
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is there any evidence outside of user speculation that this supposed sharing occurred? It seems unlikely. IBIS is not unique to Pentax and is available from several brands.
10-10-2019, 07:11 AM   #2502
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Is there any evidence outside of user speculation that this supposed sharing occurred? It seems unlikely. IBIS is not unique to Pentax and is available from several brands.
Not saying that this happened, but what's different is that Nikon would have had something Pentax wanted in return - not so much for others
10-10-2019, 07:23 AM   #2503
Pentaxian

That's mere speculation, mainly caused by the rumour of the K-New having 153 AF points, which is the number of AF points of Nikon's Multi-CAM 20K (D5, D500, D850).
10-10-2019, 07:25 AM   #2504
Pentaxian

Nope. Not yet at least. I think the rumor originally came from PentaxRumors. I was just replying to reh's reply to Zooland about a rumor that Nikon and Pentax are sharing tech. The rumor was that Pentax got the D500 AF tech and Nikon got Pentax's IBIS tech. Still just an unsubstantiated rumor, like I said. But like ffking said, if another company wants something you have, and you want something that they have even if other companies have it, a technology trade is an effective means of gaining that tech. Especially when much of the rest of the competition already has similar technology that already comes close to your own. Canon and Sony don't need Nikon's AF tech, theirs is already sufficient enough. Pentax, meanwhile, might wants AF tech that Nikon has and Pentax has mature, competent IBIS tech that Nikon might want.
10-10-2019, 07:50 AM   #2505

I Fell Into a Rat Hole?

My original post on this forum topic (the coming new K-3 something) was simply to offer my personal perspective on the matter. Then a 'moderator' disallowed the link I'd included to give readers an idea of where I 'come from' because I might be just promoting my site—which is silly because I only get about 20 visitors a month at most, and I don't 'monetize' what I do in any way.

Then readers chime in to tell me why 'I am wrong'. Not to worry—I am not about to change what I've learned from over 60 years of immersion in photography.

I am happy where I am.

Yerz,
Profligatographer
Closed Thread