Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2019, 08:01 AM   #2506
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Profligatographer Quote
My original post on this forum topic (the coming new K-3 something) was simply to offer my personal perspective on the matter. Then a 'moderator' disallowed the link I'd included to give readers an idea of where I 'come from' because I might be just promoting my site—which is silly because I only get about 20 visitors a month at most, and I don't 'monetize' what I do in any way.

Then readers chime in to tell me why 'I am wrong'. Not to worry—I am not about to change what I've learned from over 60 years of immersion in photography.

I am happy where I am.

Yerz,
Profligatographer
Thank you for your information.

And being partway there - why don't you post a few more times, so you can be eligible for one of the drawings?!

10-10-2019, 08:02 AM - 1 Like   #2507

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Thanks for all the input on possible ways the joystick may be implemented. It looks like an attractive feature.
Anyone thought about the possibility to play Pong or Snake on the Screen while waiting for an event to happen or object to be visible in perfect light?
10-10-2019, 08:03 AM - 1 Like   #2508
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TheoRK Quote
Anyone thought about the possibility to play Pong or Snake on the Screen while waiting for an event to happen or object to be visible in perfect light?
That's the name of the camera! Pentax Pong!
10-10-2019, 08:10 AM - 1 Like   #2509
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
The joystick is actually used in conjunction with live view.

After placing the dial in the LV position, the back lcd unlocks, and the pan and tilt of the LCD screen can be adjusted using the joystick.

Similar to a cars side view mirrors.
This allows both hands to be on the camera at all times while maintaining optimal view of the back LCD when shooting from low angles.
you won!

10-10-2019, 10:23 AM   #2510
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
I predict quite a scramble at the end of the month, will keep the Mods. busy
May be an opportunity to sneak in something that at other times would get you banned if noticed
10-10-2019, 10:42 AM   #2511
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
Nope. Not yet at least. I think the rumor originally came from PentaxRumors. I was just replying to reh's reply to Zooland about a rumor that Nikon and Pentax are sharing tech. The rumor was that Pentax got the D500 AF tech and Nikon got Pentax's IBIS tech. Still just an unsubstantiated rumor, like I said. But like ffking said, if another company wants something you have, and you want something that they have even if other companies have it, a technology trade is an effective means of gaining that tech. Especially when much of the rest of the competition already has similar technology that already comes close to your own. Canon and Sony don't need Nikon's AF tech, theirs is already sufficient enough. Pentax, meanwhile, might wants AF tech that Nikon has and Pentax has mature, competent IBIS tech that Nikon might want.
and people keep on bringin it up. Stop that, please! It is just the same when people are talking about those new DFA* lenses. Because pentax would not be able to produce something like that them selves. Well in that case there has been history of sharing patents, and there are rebadged tamron(who don’t have one done by them?).

That does not mean that this kind a stuff should be kept at here. Besides. That does not make any sense. As said before. That tech is allover now(SR). All of the sudden it is more important than stabilisation in lens. If Sony would not have gone there...they could have copied it from Pentax btw..

Last edited by repaap; 10-10-2019 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Forgot, please
10-10-2019, 11:29 AM   #2512
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TheoRK Quote
Well, I >was< going to make a Tetris joke in regards to the new joystick but I decided to hold off because there's already some
pushback on the s/n ratio due to the drawing. But since you've opened that door.......

I'm sure the joystick is there to assist/expedite AF point selection. It may secondarily be used for menu navigation. It could
even potentially be used for photo editing in camera.

10-10-2019, 11:49 AM   #2513
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
It is just the same when people are talking about those new DFA* lenses. Because pentax would not be able to produce something like that them selves. Well in that case there has been history of sharing patents, and there are rebadged tamron(who don’t have one done by them?).

That does not mean that this kind a stuff should be kept at here. Besides. That does not make any sense. As said before. That tech is allover now(SR). All of the sudden it is more important than stabilisation in lens. If Sony would not have gone there...they could have copied it from Pentax btw..
Well I didn't say that Pentax couldn't make this AF tech themselves, and for all we know, they very well could have. We just don't know anything right now anyway. But to create AF tech that reaches the same or similar levels as the D500 would require significant investment. Potentially enough that it might price this camera out of market in order to recoup the R&D. It would be significantly less expensive to license a competitors tech that has already been proven to be a highly capable system.

True, SR tech is all over. But why reinvent the wheel when you can instead license the wheel and not spend as much of your R&D budget doing it? Besides, after you've gained the starting point, in this case it being a competent SR system, you can then take that system, add your own improvements and come out with a system that's potentially improved over and above the system that you received a license for.
10-10-2019, 11:59 AM   #2514
Pentaxian

Well I didn't say that Pentax couldn't make this AF tech themselves, and for all we know, they very well could have. We just don't know anything right now anyway. But to create AF tech that reaches the same or similar levels as the D500 would require significant investment. Potentially enough that it might price this camera out of market in order to recoup the R&D. It would be significantly less expensive to license a competitors tech that has already been proven to be a highly capable system.

True, SR tech is all over. But why reinvent the wheel when you can instead license the wheel and not spend as much of your R&D budget doing it? Besides, after you've gained the starting point, in this case it being a competent SR system, you can then take that system, add your own improvements and come out with a system that's potentially improved over and above the system that you received a license for.
For the joy of inventing and creating. That would be reason for it. Say that we did what we said that we will do.

about that R&D, it will be put in next 3 generation of cameras, atleast. Anf to be honest, that thing needed some good renovation. They said that they have to begin from scratch.. 2 yrs ago. So here we are, and we are eager to learn if they managed to do it (that would make it little a bit mean for saying that they did actually buy the licence..)
10-10-2019, 02:06 PM   #2515
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Archimedes the Dog Quote
I doubt they will abandon the K branding though. I'm truly curious to see how they proceed!
They could start a new KA- series for the aps-c cameras where the first would be KA-1. Then the next FF would be the KF-1. Of course this does not allow for any indication of where in the hierarchy a specific model would fit (flagship vs. enthusiast vs. entry level). This could get complicated really quickly while I (we???) await the upcoming KAf-1.
10-10-2019, 02:59 PM - 1 Like   #2516
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

While it's true that SR or IBIS is in other brands, it seems to be almost completely limited to mirrorless bodies. When Nikon announced it was going to have IBIS in it's upcoming DSLR at least one so-called Youtube expert, with a big following, stated that he didn't understand how that would be possible. This guy is a person who likes to make snide remarks about Pentax so it was most amusing to read the replies educating him about Pentax SR and how long it's been around.
10-10-2019, 03:07 PM - 1 Like   #2517
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thinking about the proximity sensor below the viewfinder and what it could be used for.
1) To start the AF system (like Minolta Maxxums once did)
2) To Blank the rear screen so as to not interfere with the viewfinder
3) To disable a touch sensitive rear LCD
4) To Switch between the rear LCD and a hybrid EVF when in Live View mode.

I’ve ranked them in the order of what I would wish for with 4 being the best. 1 and 2 would be a complete disappointment. 3 would be good but not a deal breaker. So my personal hope is for 4. I mean after all it looks like the return of the stovepipe from the K-01 if that isnt a hint from Ricoh then what is?
10-10-2019, 03:10 PM - 2 Likes   #2518
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EricBT Quote
Youtube expert
21st century, definition #1 for 'oxymoron'.
10-10-2019, 11:38 PM   #2519
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
sneak in something that at other times would get you banned if noticed
yes maybe, you know I've been reprimanded twice for silly minor things, and I don't usually go into those long drawn out discussions on nothing much at all
10-10-2019, 11:57 PM   #2520

QuoteOriginally posted by Painter Quote
Thinking about the proximity sensor below the viewfinder and what it could be used for.
1) To start the AF system (like Minolta Maxxums once did)
2) To Blank the rear screen so as to not interfere with the viewfinder
3) To disable a touch sensitive rear LCD
4) To Switch between the rear LCD and a hybrid EVF when in Live View mode.

I’ve ranked them in the order of what I would wish for with 4 being the best. 1 and 2 would be a complete disappointment. 3 would be good but not a deal breaker. So my personal hope is for 4. I mean after all it looks like the return of the stovepipe from the K-01 if that isnt a hint from Ricoh then what is?
Could be used to initiate EYE CONTROLLED FOCUS POINT SELECTION as per the Canon Eos5. (Original film version)
It was cool on that camera with only 5 points.
How cool would it be for dozens of points!
Closed Thread