Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2019, 01:30 PM   #2566
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
That's a shame, hope the people go on to find good work.

10-11-2019, 01:32 PM   #2567
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
I hope they can find some way to at least keep the site open for use.
In the linked report they state that 'the site will remain available through at least spring next year' and they add a cryptic sentence: 'I'm hopeful that we can play a part in continuing [I.R.'s] legacy going forward into the future.'
10-11-2019, 01:40 PM   #2568
Pentaxian

Original Poster
You will, or rather you won't see anything special.
Pray tell what will or won't happen if someone presses the top left currently unlabelled button?

Spill all the tea while you are at it.
10-11-2019, 01:51 PM - 4 Likes   #2569
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The end of an era? Digital camera review site Imaging Resource set to close | Digital Photography Review
Nooooooooooooooooo...

What world is this where the click-baiters live and the honest enthusiasts wither away?

I'm going to cry a little now.

10-11-2019, 01:55 PM   #2570
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
I hope they can find some way to at least keep the site open for use.
Can contact the Internet Archive to do a full download of the site.
10-11-2019, 02:06 PM - 1 Like   #2571
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Pray tell what will or won't happen if someone presses the top left currently unlabelled button?

With the cameras currently showcased? Nothing.
10-11-2019, 02:14 PM - 1 Like   #2572
Pentaxian

Not exactly nothing : some men in black will jump on you, drag you outside the place, before nobody hear about you again, never.

10-11-2019, 02:22 PM - 2 Likes   #2573
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote

The top left unlabeled button enables and disables the airbags that protect the camera in the event it's dropped.
10-11-2019, 02:59 PM   #2574
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Interesting.

Very interesting...
10-11-2019, 03:04 PM   #2575
Pentaxian

I'm glad you like it!
10-11-2019, 07:14 PM   #2576

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Eye AF could potentially be useful if implemented correctly. It would need to be 'Off/Inactive' by default so the lens doesn't hunt
as the eye scans the scene, then 'Activated' with a Focus lock button.
From memory, that’s how the original Canon EOS5 (film) did it.
When enabled, the focus point selection was started by raising the camera to the eye.
You would select your focus point by looking at it ,then focus on that point by half pressing the shutter or by pressing the af lock button.
10-12-2019, 12:03 PM   #2577
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was just thinking - while browsing another thread - I've no more idea than anybody else (obviously) what the mystery button does, but one of the things I'd like it to do is toggle on and off an information overlay on either live view or viewfinder depending which is in use
10-12-2019, 12:28 PM - 2 Likes   #2578
Veteran Member

So I was thinking about all the people that really want a Pentax APS-c mirrorless yesterday, after reading a review of the new Nikon z50. Honestly, I cannot find anything on this camera that would make it more attractive than the K70 or KP, except maybe a little better autofocus for sports and video. For 4K though, it uses a 1.5 crop of the aps-c sensor. Considering it is priced higher than the KP, has no IS, pixel shift, rugged, weather resistant lenses, swivel screen, vertical grip, elaborate lens line up, but has a lower res sensor (20mp), etc., me thinks that Nikon has shown us the way to an underwhelming camera that basically is a little smaller, lighter, and mirrorless, but really does not really do anything to help anyone take better photographs unless sports, action, and low-res video are primary areas of interest (although these benefits have yet to be proven or established!) Just my take and two cents on this new camera model by another great manufacturer that has just recently crossed into the mirrorless market. However, proof will be in the actual sales figures and, just like with Pentax, I am rooting for Nikon to be a successful camera and lens manufacturer for many more years to come...

Last edited by mtgmansf; 10-12-2019 at 08:50 PM.
10-12-2019, 12:37 PM - 1 Like   #2579
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtgmansf Quote
Honestly, I cannot find anything on this camera that would make it more attractive than the K70 or KP, except maybe a little better autofocus for sports and video.
Same here.

I generally prefer Nikon cameras over Canon or Sony cameras -- hypothetically that is, I'm a Pentaxian -- but I think the Z50 is an underwhelming effort by Nikon. It seems they don't want to abandon the lower price tier but at the same time really give customers incentives to choose their FF line up.

From a customer's perspective I find the Z50 to be a disappointment, reminiscent of a Nikon D40. Of course the Z50 is far more capable but it is crippled nonetheless. Nikon must have successfully negotiated the one time use of Canon's cripple hammer.
10-12-2019, 12:54 PM   #2580
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Here's the video on the Nikon Z50 from Casey (Camera Conspiracies) who coined the term "Canon Cripple Hammer".

Bit "sweary" at times, but always funny.
Closed Thread