Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3229 Likes Search this Thread
10-12-2019, 07:54 PM   #2596
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is certainly possibility in your suggestion, Monochrome, but it is still just speculation. Certainly companies license each others technology but that is not evidence that this supposed Nikon/Pentax trade occurred. I think it would be neat if it did but so far no evidence.

10-13-2019, 12:23 AM   #2597
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
All I can say after reading the last few pages is that I hope you all have a bunch of raffle tickets already...

(I've had a hard time making the 70 posts I've made since the beginning of October. I guess I just don't have enough to say).
Same here more or less.
10-13-2019, 12:28 AM - 1 Like   #2598
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
The soon-to-be-unemployed IR editorial staff probably feels differently.
We should create a new thread discussing the possibility of funding the takeover of IR.
10-13-2019, 01:01 AM   #2599
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The mystery button turns On/Off a tiny display of the letters RICOH below the LCD
There's no room for the RICOH inscription.
And I could believe that a Pentax engineer pushed including an eye sensor just to move the LCD lower so there would be no room for the RICOH inscription

10-13-2019, 02:04 AM   #2600
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
There is certainly possibility in your suggestion, Monochrome, but it is still just speculation. Certainly companies license each others technology but that is not evidence that this supposed Nikon/Pentax trade occurred. I think it would be neat if it did but so far no evidence.
Not only is there no evidence of a cross-deal between Nikon and Ricoh (AF <--> SR) but all there is is a mere speculation based on a rumour emanating from one guy saying that the autofocus of the K-New has 153 AF points (same as Nikon D500/D5/D850). Note that the rumour is now back pedalling: '153 AF points' has become 'definitely more than 100 AF points'.

Just wait and see.
10-13-2019, 02:09 AM - 2 Likes   #2601
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
There's no room for the RICOH inscription.
And I could believe that a Pentax engineer pushed including an eye sensor just to move the LCD lower so there would be no room for the RICOH inscription
The RICOH inscription is subliminally flashing on the rear LCD, too quick for you to see it but long enough for your brain to register it and release endorphins. The mystery button lets you choose/toggle between three inscriptions: Ricoh, Pentax and AOCo (Asahi Optical Co).
10-13-2019, 04:25 AM   #2602
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Not only is there no evidence of a cross-deal between Nikon and Ricoh (AF <--> SR) but all there is is a mere speculation based on a rumour emanating from one guy saying that the autofocus of the K-New has 153 AF points (same as Nikon D500/D5/D850). Note that the rumour is now back pedalling: '153 AF points' has become 'definitely more than 100 AF points'.

Just wait and see.
I don’t believe I suggested a cross-license with Nikon. I merely commented on the sudden spread of IBIS and recounted that Pentax had licensed technology to others in the past - and I don’t suppose there was evidence of such licensing at the time.

OTOH Pentax executive comments over the last several years have suggested a primary development goal has been significantly improved AF, so in-house development is not inconsistent.

10-13-2019, 05:01 AM   #2603
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I don’t believe I suggested a cross-license with Nikon. I merely commented on the sudden spread of IBIS and recounted that Pentax had licensed technology to others in the past - and I don’t suppose there was evidence of such licensing at the time.

OTOH Pentax executive comments over the last several years have suggested a primary development goal has been significantly improved AF, so in-house development is not inconsistent.
You definitely did not. Others did though, hence the rumour.
10-13-2019, 05:32 AM   #2604
Pentaxian

The RICOH inscription is subliminally flashing on the rear LCD, too quick for you to see it but long enough for your brain to register it and release endorphins. The mystery button lets you choose/toggle between three inscriptions: Ricoh, Pentax and AOCo (Asahi Optical Co).
That's the perfect way to get more people involved with Pentax. If we keep showing people what's on our screens and at the same time pressing the subliminal messaging button, we may get enough people thinking about Pentax that they buy in. Then they could do the same and eventually we'll Make Pentax Popular Again! MPPA!

But honestly, I wouldn't mind having an AOCo logo displayed on the rear screen. I like the logo. I even designed an AOCo stamp to put it on the prism housing of my K-3II. But then I realized that that would probably decrease the resell value so I decided not to do it.
10-13-2019, 05:37 AM - 1 Like   #2605
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Just wait and see.
Hadn't seen the rumor that the earlier rumor might be wrong and the new rumor is "more than 100". Thanks!

---------- Post added 10-13-19 at 08:45 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
we may get enough people thinking about Pentax that they buy in. Then they could do the same and eventually we'll Make Pentax Popular Again! MPPA!.
On a hike yesterday morning one of the gang of six with me had just this week upgraded his camera from a Sony A6400 to the Sony A7IV. We started discussing how long those massive files take to manipulate and he mentioned he'd be upgrading his computer to accommodate it.

"Gosh, 26mp is plenty for me (yeah I forgot it was 24) I bet I'm the only guy you know shooting Pentax so I'm easy to spot in a crowd"

Him: "Nah I have another friend up North with a Pentax but when we're out shooting together I ask him to move away a little so he doesn't embarrass me."

LOL!

Last edited by gatorguy; 10-13-2019 at 05:48 AM.
10-13-2019, 05:47 AM   #2606

Has any one considered that this development model and subsequent couple small presentations were a means to placate the Pentax fandom and investors without actually making a new camera? Meanwhile Ricoh's theta development is chugging along.
I'm not doom and glooming Pentax but we did go through similar ups and downs (slow torture) in the decade of waiting for the K-1 (full frame). Sometimes memory is a burden but it would be rather foolish to ignore it.

Just something to think about and no need to start a flaming war on the subject.
10-13-2019, 05:49 AM   #2607
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtgmansf Quote
So I was thinking about all the people that really want a Pentax APS-c mirrorless yesterday, after reading a review of the new Nikon z50. Honestly, I cannot find anything on this camera that would make it more attractive than the K70 or KP, except maybe a little better autofocus for sports and video. For 4K though, it uses a 1.5 crop of the aps-c sensor. Considering it is priced higher than the KP, has no IS, pixel shift, rugged, weather resistant lenses, swivel screen, vertical grip, elaborate lens line up, but has a lower res sensor (20mp), etc., me thinks that Nikon has shown us the way to an underwhelming camera that basically is a little smaller, lighter, and mirrorless...
I think the Z50 is showing Nikon’s take on what it needs to maintain acceptable profit margins with their anticipated sales volume.

To me that’s not a good sign for them... and it suggests the KP was a very well placed model after all...

I am afraid it probably means the new flagship will not be cheap 🙂

-Eric
10-13-2019, 06:15 AM   #2608
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I am afraid it probably means the new flagship will not be cheap
I have assumed all along that the new “flagship” will not be inexpensive - even the KP was something like $1199 when it first came out, and the “flagship” will be at least several hundred above that, and most likely will come down less and more slowly.
10-13-2019, 06:30 AM   #2609
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax, like most of the other manufacturers, seems to be moving to higher end pricing in this reduced market.
10-13-2019, 06:47 AM - 1 Like   #2610
Pentaxian

Pentax, like most of the other manufacturers, seems to be moving to higher end pricing in this reduced market.
“Seems” is too gentle of a word.

They are shifting prices upwards.

I bought a two lens K50 kit for $599.

A one lens K70 Kit is $650. (Still an excellent value).

The 50mm lens is also a high ticket item.

I don’t blame them, but this trend does have some negative consequences.
Closed Thread