Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3229 Likes Search this Thread
10-13-2019, 07:04 AM   #2611
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes. There was a time a few years ago when you could get started with high quality Pentax equipment for quite a bit less than the rivals. It really does seem that Pentax has decided it has to abandon that approach to survive.

10-13-2019, 07:38 AM   #2612
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by solitudebound Quote
Has any one considered that this development model and subsequent couple small presentations were a means to placate the Pentax fandom and investors without actually making a new camera?
If so, they probably deserve the delay for having built such a detailed model for the ruse.

In other news, John Huston's granddaughter has just found several cans of film in the attic, including an audition of Kirk Douglas
as Neil Armstrong....
10-13-2019, 07:46 AM - 6 Likes   #2613
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Yes. There was a time a few years ago when you could get started with high quality Pentax equipment for quite a bit less than the rivals. It really does seem that Pentax has decided it has to abandon that approach to survive.
'Abandon' is probably not the most accurate word here. Ricoh are shifting market focus because that bottom end is
eroding away fast. They made the first step in that direction by giving up the entry level compact market for all but the WG series,
and I do believe they were one of the first established brands to do so.

It's not as if Pentax has suddenly leap frogged into Leica price/value territory. The K-1 and KP still represent tremendous value
compared to most anything else on the market and I expect the K-New will as well.

Last edited by tvdtvdtvd; 10-13-2019 at 07:55 AM.
10-13-2019, 08:05 AM   #2614
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by solitudebound Quote
Has any one considered that this development model and subsequent couple small presentations were a means to placate the Pentax fandom and investors without actually making a new camera? Meanwhile Ricoh's theta development is chugging along.
I'm not doom and glooming Pentax but we did go through similar ups and downs (slow torture) in the decade of waiting for the K-1 (full frame). Sometimes memory is a burden but it would be rather foolish to ignore it.

Just something to think about and no need to start a flaming war on the subject.
Indeed it would be foolish to ignore the lessons of the past. The Pentax K-1 was announced four months after a prototype was showcased under glass and was available two months after its announcement.

10-13-2019, 08:09 AM   #2615
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I have assumed all along that the new “flagship” will not be inexpensive - even the KP was something like $1199 when it first came out, and the “flagship” will be at least several hundred above that, and most likely will come down less and more slowly.
The KP's RRP at launch was $1,199 / €1,299. Be prepared to add a good handful of Benjamins on top of that to get a K-New.
10-13-2019, 08:11 AM   #2616
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Indeed, the KP's RRP at launch was $1,199 / €1,299. Be prepared to add a good handful of Benjamins on top of that to get a K-New.
Im thinking K-5 type intro pricing on this one.
10-13-2019, 08:17 AM   #2617
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
'Abandon' is probably not the most accurate word here. Ricoh are shifting market focus because that bottom end is
eroding away fast
. (...)
It isn't eroding that fast as far as DSLRs are concerned. The average shipping price of DSLRs is going down steadily these days (see CIPA figures). That's because Canon keep on selling tons of EOS Rebel SL3 (EOS 250D / EOS Kiss X10) / EOS Rebel T7 (EOS 2000D) / EOS 4000D. There is however no money to be made with such high-volume, low-margin pieces of equipment and Ricoh have constantly stated they are going for value, not volume.

10-13-2019, 08:26 AM   #2618
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
Much more than that. Between 2010 and 2020 the SLR market will be divided by four and the K-New represents at least as many, and probably more developments costs to recoup than the K-5.
10-13-2019, 09:13 AM   #2619
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I think the Z50 is showing Nikon’s take on what it needs to maintain acceptable profit margins with their anticipated sales volume.

To me that’s not a good sign for them... and it suggests the KP was a very well placed model after all...

I am afraid it probably means the new flagship will not be cheap ��

-Eric
I was thinking about the KP when seeing the Z50 as well. Size does differentiate them however. The HD PENTAX-DA 18-50mmF4-5.6 DC WR RE is a tiny collapsible lens but the mirrorless form factor makes the whole package or the Z50 a lot smaller. Again it seems like mirrorless makes the most difference at MF and apsc formats whilst for FF it doesn't make that much difference.

As an aside I just noticed that the collapsible Pentax kit lens has the mtf published at
http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/lens/k/standard/hdpentax-da-18-50/
Looks better than I imagined. Haven't heard much chatter about this lens.

Last edited by house; 10-13-2019 at 09:15 AM. Reason: aside
10-13-2019, 09:32 AM - 2 Likes   #2620
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The KP's RRP at launch was $1,199 / €1,299. Be prepared to add a good handful of Benjamins on top of that to get a K-New.
QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
I'm thinking that the KP is the new "intro" APS-C, so the new "flag-ship" APS-C will be several hundred dollars above that - below the K-1ii, but don't assume much below that. In short- I agree with @Mistral75 on this one. Any PF members who have been eagerly awaiting the "K-3ii replacement" while simultaneously thinking "cheap" are going to have to rethink the KP.
10-13-2019, 09:37 AM   #2621
Pentaxian

I'm thinking that the KP is the new "intro" APS-C, so the new "flag-ship" APS-C will be several hundred dollars above that - below the K-1ii, but don't assume much below that. In short- I agree with @Mistral75 on this one. Any PF members who have been eagerly awaiting the "K-3ii replacement" while simultaneously thinking "cheap" are going to have to rethink the KP.
As I've said before I think it's a mistake to think in terms of "intro", "enthusiast", "flagship". Instead it makes sense to think of the use case/users for each camera. The previous model was just a ruse to get people to aspire to the most expensive camera. Crippling the other models in the process. Instead making cameras for very specific users makes a lot more sense. And I think that's what we are seeing with the Ricoh lineup.
10-13-2019, 10:05 AM   #2622
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Much more than that. Between 2010 and 2020 the SLR market will be divided by four and the K-New represents at least as many, and probably more developments costs to recoup than the K-5.
Exactly.

But that doesn’t mean we won’t see a bunch of the “it must be better than the KP in these ways...” folks get really bent when Ricoh has the temerity to ask more money for those same improvements...

I expect good value, though...

-Eric
10-13-2019, 10:22 AM - 1 Like   #2623
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
As I've said before I think it's a mistake to think in terms of "intro", "enthusiast", "flagship". Instead it makes sense to think of the use case/users for each camera. The previous model was just a ruse to get people to aspire to the most expensive camera. Crippling the other models in the process. Instead making cameras for very specific users makes a lot more sense. And I think that's what we are seeing with the Ricoh lineup.
I don’t see any difference between us in thinking, except I would disagree with your use of the words “ruse” and “cripple” - the KP is was what it is and the “K-3ii replacement” will be what it will be. An upper LCD, a larger battery, and two SD card slots were unneeded by users like me, and we don’t see any reason for us to pay for them; I got my KP ten months ago, and I am completely happy with it; I hope that “K3ii replacement” purchasers are equally happy with their purchase.
10-13-2019, 12:02 PM   #2624
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don’t see any difference between us in thinking, except I would disagree with your use of the words “ruse” and “cripple” - the KP is was what it is and the “K-3ii replacement” will be what it will be. An upper LCD, a larger battery, and two SD card slots were unneeded by users like me, and we don’t see any reason for us to pay for them; I got my KP ten months ago, and I am completely happy with it; I hope that “K3ii replacement” purchasers are equally happy with their purchase.
Well said. I'm curious to see what features will be on offer in the K-new, and then make a decision between it and a presumably even more affordable KP. My guess (hope) is that the introduction of the K-new will phase out the K-70 (if anything), not the KP.
10-13-2019, 12:23 PM - 1 Like   #2625
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Exactly.

But that doesn’t mean we won’t see a bunch of the “it must be better than the KP in these ways...” folks get really bent when Ricoh has the temerity to ask more money for those same improvements...

I expect good value, though...

-Eric
So do I. The K-New's price–performance ratio will be terrific, not because its price will be low (on the contrary, it will be an expensive camera) but because its performances will be excellent.
Closed Thread