Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3229 Likes Search this Thread
10-13-2019, 12:27 PM   #2626
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yorik Quote
Well said. I'm curious to see what features will be on offer in the K-new, and then make a decision between it and a presumably even more affordable KP. My guess (hope) is that the introduction of the K-new will phase out the K-70 (if anything), not the KP.
I think Ricoh would be crazy not to phase out the K-70.
Partly because of price and partly because it is the only way for them to leave the aperture control problem behind them.

10-13-2019, 12:31 PM   #2627
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Partly because of price and partly because it is the only way for them to leave the aperture control problem behind them.
And what entry/mid level camera will they have in their portfolio (to attract newcomers, among other things) if they do so?
10-13-2019, 12:40 PM   #2628
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
And what entry/mid level camera will they have in their portfolio (to attract newcomers, among other things) if they do so?
Perhaps the newly repositioned KP?
10-13-2019, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #2629
Pentaxian

The KP would be perfect introduction to a "Premium-priced" brand; it isn't that far from normal price of the K-70, and it has same aperture-control as those above it in the line.

10-13-2019, 12:53 PM - 2 Likes   #2630
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Perhaps the newly repositioned KP?
The KP would be perfect introduction to a "Premium-priced" brand; it isn't that far from normal price of the K-70, and it has same aperture-control as those above it in the line.
The KP is a mid-level camera, much costlier to manufacture than the K-70. I can't imagine Ricoh selling it at around $599 permanently (i.e. not only in the framework of special operations like the Black Friday) and making money with it. Don't forget that Ricoh's strategy is high-margin, low volume products, not high-volume, low margin ones.

Besides, if the KP were to be sold around $599, what body would bridge the gap between it and a $1,499 (or more) K-New?

I definitely think that Ricoh can't phase out the K-70 (they will, eventually) without launching a K-80; alternatively, a successor to the KP, the latter becoming the new entry model, should my assumption about its manufacturing costs be wrong.

A K-80 could be launched almost anytime. A KP successor won't appear before 2021 at the earliest.
10-13-2019, 01:01 PM   #2631
Pentaxian

The KP is a mid-level camera, much costlier to manufacture than the K-70. I can't imagine Ricoh selling it at around $599 permanently (i.e. not only in the framework of special operations like the Black Friday) and making money with it. Don't forget that Ricoh's strategy is high-margin, low volume products, not high-volume, low margin ones.

Besides, if the KP were to be sold around $599, what body would bridge the gap between it and a $1,499 (or more) K-New?

I definitely think that Ricoh can't phase out the K-70 (they will, eventually) without launching a K-80; alternatively, a successor to the KP, the latter becoming the new entry model, should my assumption about its manufacturing costs be wrong.

A K-80 could be launched almost anytime. A KP successor won't appear before 2021 at the earliest.
I have a "Super Program" I purchased in 1983, with a solenoid-based aperture-control that still works, but I have seen enough complaints about even the K-70 that I could never again recommend any camera with the Chinese-based solenoid. Ricoh may be reaching the same conclusion.
10-13-2019, 01:05 PM   #2632
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think having the KP as the introduction camera would make great sense. It does not have to be $599. Perhaps $699 would make sense. If Pentax wants to be seen as upscale with its newer equipment it would be consistent to sell the excellent KP for $699 or even $799. I wonder how much market is left for $599 cameras.

10-13-2019, 01:07 PM - 1 Like   #2633
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With market contraction where is there justification for 3 distinct apsc models if KP costs can continue to be lowered?
10-13-2019, 01:08 PM - 3 Likes   #2634
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sales of entry level cameras provide incremental revenue to amortize the costs of R&D, incremental cash flow to support fixed costs, help lower the unit cost of components used in common with higher end cameras (or better components from the same manufacturer such as Sony) and support retention of skilled assembly staff whose primary profit value might come from more expensive cameras. There is probably a host of other benefits I haven’t thought of.
10-13-2019, 01:10 PM - 1 Like   #2635
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a "Super Program" I purchased in 1983, with a solenoid-based aperture-control that still works, but I have seen enough complaints about even the K-70 that I could never again recommend any camera with the Chinese-based solenoid. Ricoh may be reaching the same conclusion.
Not sure where you're seeing all these horrid solenoid failures re: K70. I remember maybe 2, which could be a perfectly normal failure rate for any camera. I believe one of our members already demonstrated that the K70 solenoid differs from the earlier models.
10-13-2019, 01:18 PM   #2636
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Not sure where you're seeing all these horrid solenoid failures re: K70. I remember maybe 2, which could be a perfectly normal failure rate for any camera. I believe one of our members already demonstrated that the K70 solenoid differs from the earlier models.
They are 'here and there' - you virtually never see like questions about the K-7/5/3 family - and I periodically see questions used to 'wedge' people away from Pentax on other sites.
10-13-2019, 01:20 PM - 1 Like   #2637
Pentaxian

That would argue for a K-80 with the KP's aperture control mechanism, not for the KP replacing the K-70 as entry/mid level camera.
10-13-2019, 01:22 PM   #2638
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Sales of entry level cameras provide incremental revenue to amortize the costs of R&D, incremental cash flow to support fixed costs, help lower the unit cost of components used in common with higher end cameras (or better components from the same manufacturer such as Sony) and support retention of skilled assembly staff whose primary profit value might come from more expensive cameras. There is probably a host of other benefits I haven’t thought of.
People periodically ask 'when Pentax will dump KP' ..... I think dumping K-n0 family makes more sense because of questions asked on other sites about Pentax's reliability, which should be their strength!!
10-13-2019, 01:26 PM   #2639
Pentaxian

That would argue for a K-80 with the KP's aperture control mechanism, not for the KP replacing the K-70 as entry/mid level camera.
By now, just enough Canikon users know to ask the question .... strictly speaking, K-90 is only name left in sequence anyway {they haven't used even names so far}, so this seems like good time to start new sequence anyway.
10-13-2019, 01:29 PM   #2640
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I think having the KP as the introduction camera would make great sense. It does not have to be $599. Perhaps $699 would make sense. If Pentax wants to be seen as upscale with its newer equipment it would be consistent to sell the excellent KP for $699 or even $799. I wonder how much market is left for $599 cameras.
A big chunk of the current DSLR market. Look at the continuous decrease in the average shipping price of DSLRs: ¥44,903 / $415 in 2018 and ¥36,779 / $340 during the first eight months of 2019.

Although those are FOB prices, not retail, it means that a good portion of the remaining DSLR sales comes from EOS Rebel SL3 (EOS 250D / EOS Kiss X10) / EOS Rebel T7 (EOS 2000D) / EOS 4000D and earlier entry-level models from Canon as well as Nikon D3xxx cameras.
Closed Thread