Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3229 Likes Search this Thread
10-13-2019, 01:30 PM   #2641
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I suspect we may get a hint when the new cameras name is revealed.

K2 may hint at retaining the K-70.

KC (K-C) may hint at retaining the KP.

10-13-2019, 01:31 PM   #2642
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
That would argue for a K-80 with the KP's aperture control mechanism, not for the KP replacing the K-70 as entry/mid level camera.
Agreed. The KP seems like an outlier in Pentax design. Too many buttons and wheels put too close together in a small surface space that does not allow for the deep traditional Pentax grip everyone became accustomed to from the K5 forward.

Put those same controls on the body of a K70 and you now have a less cramped control system on a comfortable and secure to hold body. Lenses more balanced and controls more reliable to access. Winner in my opinion!

The KP design holds no advantage over the other Pentax bodies.

Last edited by gatorguy; 10-13-2019 at 01:36 PM.
10-13-2019, 01:33 PM - 2 Likes   #2643
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the odds are good that both the KP and K70 stick around for awhile -- mainly because the K70 is "paid for" and there is no way that they can price the KP low enough to fit that price tier. And the K70 is super-nice for what it is. You won't find many other cameras on the market at that price that feature a full pentaprism OVF, articulating screen, and dual control wheels.

And it even features a pop up flash, a feature left behind by many high end cameras!
10-13-2019, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #2644
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
With market contraction where is there justification for 3 distinct apsc models if KP costs can continue to be lowered?
That's a big 'if'. We don't even know whether Ricoh have been able to lower the cost of manufacturing a KP since its launch, sensibly or at all. Don"t believe that discounted prices such as $799 during Black Friday instead of $1,199 at launch mean that the manufacturing costs have been reduced: Ricoh have just decided not to offset any R&D or marketing costs, or only a small portion of them, against these discounted sales.

In addition, would you like Ricoh to choose cheaper suppliers to reduce the KP's manufacturing costs and potentially encounter problems similar to the solenoid one?

10-13-2019, 01:40 PM   #2645
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
By now, just enough Canikon users know to ask the question .... strictly speaking, K-90 is only name left in sequence anyway {they haven't used even names so far}, so this seems like good time to start new sequence anyway.
Not even K20D?
10-13-2019, 01:59 PM   #2646
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe we’ll see a DF2 to go along with their Z series
10-13-2019, 02:01 PM   #2647
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
143 pages??
177 and counting...

10-13-2019, 02:10 PM   #2648
Veteran Member

Put those same controls on the body of a K70 and you now have a less cramped control system on a comfortable and secure to hold body. Lenses more balanced and controls more reliable to access. Winner in my opinion!...
I haven't held a K70 or a KP (still working my K5), but according to `CameraSize', the body of the K70 is a little smaller than that of the KP (though it is marginally heavier). Putting the KP controls on a K70 body might still be a bit cramped.
10-13-2019, 02:15 PM   #2649
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
I suspect we may get a hint when the new cameras name is revealed.

K2 may hint at retaining the K-70.

KC (K-C) may hint at retaining the KP.

K3*3 = K9 so there you go.

seriously K 2 seems like a good possibility, then thats it, cant go any lower.
10-13-2019, 02:18 PM   #2650
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Agreed. The KP seems like an outlier in Pentax design. Too many buttons and wheels put too close together in a small surface space that does not allow for the deep traditional Pentax grip everyone became accustomed to from the K5 forward.

Put those same controls on the body of a K70 and you now have a less cramped control system on a comfortable and secure to hold body. Lenses more balanced and controls more reliable to access. Winner in my opinion!

The KP design holds no advantage over the other Pentax bodies.
KP holds construction advantage over K-70 .... K-70 is more 'plastic' and KP is closer to K-3ii and K-1ii in construction.
KP controls are like K-1ii controls.
Amongst modern Pentax designs, K-70 is the outlier.
10-13-2019, 02:19 PM   #2651
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yorik Quote
I haven't held a K70 or a KP (still working my K5), but according to `CameraSize', the body of the K70 is a little smaller than that of the KP (though it is marginally heavier). Putting the KP controls on a K70 body might still be a bit cramped.
I don't disagree. IMHO those controls on the KP are definitely cramped IMHO and there's more surface space on the K70 to accommodate them. So we'll call them less cramped.
10-13-2019, 02:28 PM   #2652
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
K3*3 = K9 so there you go.
I thought that once but K9 would suggest a lower spec.

QuoteQuote:
seriously K 2 seems like a good possibility, then thats it, cant go any lower.
And that's a problem if they decided to make an entry level FF (not that I expect them to).
10-13-2019, 02:32 PM - 3 Likes   #2653
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't disagree. IMHO those controls on the KP are definitely cramped IMHO and there's more surface space on the K70 to accommodate them. So we'll call them less cramped.
K-70 is 6mm narrower, 8mm shorter and 2mm shallower than KP. Where do you propose to spread all those buttons? K-70 has only one control wheel topside vs. 3 wheels on KP. Aside from Menu Diving, how do you propose to manage camera settings using one third of the top controls and less rear surface area for buttons?

IMO K-70 is too small to be a useful tool for me. KP is borderline too tight but manageable, except the sub-optimal rear AF/AE-L button placement.

KP is a mid-range enthusiast camera built specifically tp pair with the DA Limiteds. K-70 is a robust-for-its-class entry level camera. K-New will be a professional caliber Pro camera, more toward the middle of the professional group than the K-3 and K-5, which were at the low end of professional class.

There is room for - and need for - all three APSc bodies in the Pentax catalog.

CameraSize Compaison KP - K-70

Last edited by monochrome; 10-13-2019 at 02:39 PM.
10-13-2019, 02:35 PM - 1 Like   #2654
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
KP holds construction advantage over K-70 .... K-70 is more 'plastic' and KP is closer to K-3ii and K-1ii in construction.
KP controls are like K-1ii controls.
Amongst modern Pentax designs, K-70 is the outlier.
The K80 or whatever it's called could be constructed just as solidly as the current KP is. You'r only talking material/construction upgrades, not the design itself. Less "plastic" than the current K70, but more secure and balanced in the hand than a KP, and with more area to put those K-1II-like controls.

I know you'll disagree but I personally see no future for a KPII. The design is just not a good one IMO. That doesn't mean I don't like my KP. There's a lot about it I like. Great imaging, much better menu, things like depth-of-field bracketing...
Ergonomics is NOT one of them.

If I'm grabbing a camera on the way out the door "just because" it's the K-70 and not my KS-2 or KP.
10-13-2019, 02:40 PM   #2655

QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
And that's a problem if they decided to make an entry level FF (not that I expect them to).
I'm not expecting them to release entry level FF. But I think Pentax might release new FF (better than K1) in 2020. Or rather they will say they will, but in fact it will be released in 2021.
Closed Thread