10-14-2019, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #2701
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I still cry at night sometimes, thinking about the MZ-1 we could have had... 😭

10-14-2019, 03:51 PM - 1 Like   #2702
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by yorik Quote
MZ-D Mark I?
The MZ-1 is a professional SLR which should have been released in the late 1990s.

The FA Limited lenses were designed for the MZ-1 as well as for the 24x36 DSLR, the internal codename of which was MR-52 and the unofficial trade name MZ-D.

Pentax spent a fortune in the development of the MR-52 / MZ-D, much more than expected. A rough prototype was presented at Photokina 2000 and a more advanced version at PMA 2001 but the camera was eventually cancelled in October 2001 because of its expensive, energy inefficient and poorly performing Philips CCD sensor (which made it into the poorly received Contax N Digital that Kyocera persisted in launching, which accelerated the demise of Contax).

Given the budget overruns of the MR-52 project, the MZ-1 project had been stopped. Later on, what could be reused from the development of the MZ-D made it into the quickly-designed MZ-S.
10-14-2019, 04:45 PM   #2703
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
I, for one, am partial to the look of the MZ-1.
That is a good looking camera.

So compact as well.
10-14-2019, 05:54 PM   #2704
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
I, for one, am partial to the look of the MZ-1.
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
That is a good looking camera.
The camera is sweet but I keep scrolling down to that lens.

10-14-2019, 06:21 PM - 1 Like   #2705
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The camera is sweet but I keep scrolling down to that lens.
Indeed. Mine is certainly a keeper
10-14-2019, 09:41 PM   #2706
Veteran Member

Jiminy, folks. I wanted to read the entire thread before posting, but every day I'd load up the page and find more to read. From full-frame-vs-APS-C debates to flippy screens to soap cameras to interpreting pixelated bottoms, this is a doozy of a thread! I'll post my predictions in a separate post, but dang, this is exhausting.

---------- Post added 10-14-19 at 10:58 PM ----------

Ok... my (mostly unjustified) predictions for K-new:

1. The headline feature will be the ability to shoot in mirrorless or mirrored mode. Ricoh has been arguing for years that mirrorless is a little silly since the mirror can flip up and become "mirrorless" in their existing cameras. I think this camera will finally be the one to do it. In regular DSLR mode, the user will get a standard optical viewfinder. In mirrorless mode, they can use either the LCD screen or an electronic viewfinder (hence the eye sensor). Whether this works through some sort of optical overlay or even just a physical screen that swaps out with the mirror, I have no idea.

I also think that a portion of this functionality was quietly used in a trial-balloon fashion in the K-P. See, for example, a very recent post regarding electronic shutter capability in the K-P. Additional credit to posts 1709 and 1791 for their reference to these ideas.

2. Contrary to the current semi-consensus, I predict that the actual model will have a flippy screen. I think Ricoh is planning to debut a new hinge/connection system and are just being coy with the flat prototype. The infamous "divot"/"curve" at the lower right of the screen is consistent with several past models, with and without flippies, so I don't think that it gives away any info either way. The asymmetry of the screen suggests that something else will be going on, though.

Alrighty. Flame away.
10-14-2019, 10:08 PM   #2707
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ofer4 Quote
Jiminy, folks. I wanted to read the entire thread before posting, but every day I'd load up the page and find more to read. From full-frame-vs-APS-C debates to flippy screens to soap cameras to interpreting pixelated bottoms, this is a doozy of a thread! I'll post my predictions in a separate post, but dang, this is exhausting. )
Indeed! With such overwhelming interest, why isn't Pentax top of the sales charts?

Stop yapping and BUY!

10-14-2019, 10:26 PM   #2708

asahi man:
“I want a new autofocus system and a new display with a button to open the new mechanic.

Than a long buffer and more pictures per second.

A renewed stabilisation system is also a nice wish.”
Re: Wishes for the new APS-C camera: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
As everyone knows, he is a Pentax employee.It seems that the function of the unknown button is very probable and related to the new display.

asahi man wrote:
Pentax had an old patent and Ricoh was refreshing it.
Maybe, maybe not...
It's an completely new developed camera.
So, normal that it needed 3 years.
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63120038
Respond to this message
Kszchopstix wrote:
Sensor under view finder must mean that it uses an electronic viewfinder. Unless they have found some way using prism technology to hybridize evf and mirror of dslr technology like the Fuji film xpro2. Exciting.
maybe EVF coming

Last edited by D FA 24 F2; 10-14-2019 at 10:39 PM.
10-14-2019, 11:49 PM   #2709
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ofer4 Quote
(...) The asymmetry of the screen suggests that something else will be going on, though.

(...)
The touch screen of the Ricoh GR III is asymmetrical as well.

10-15-2019, 12:31 AM   #2710

R.I.P. Pentax (The Nikon Z50 marks the end of Pentax: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review).

Recently there was an unconfirmed rumour that Ricoh had bought the technical stuff, but that the rights to the name Pentax would remain with Hoya and that Ricoh only has them until 2020, so there are no new Pentax cameras anymore because Ricoh will soon not be able to call them Pentax anymore.
Has anyone ever heard of it?
10-15-2019, 01:02 AM - 1 Like   #2711
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crash82 Quote
R.I.P. Pentax (The Nikon Z50 marks the end of Pentax: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review).

Recently there was an unconfirmed rumour that Ricoh had bought the technical stuff, but that the rights to the name Pentax would remain with Hoya and that Ricoh only has them until 2020, so there are no new Pentax cameras anymore because Ricoh will soon not be able to call them Pentax anymore.
This is a not legit rumour, Pentax even confirmed they will keep the rights after 2020.
It has been discussed here weeks ago...
10-15-2019, 01:27 AM   #2712
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D FA 24 F2 Quote
asahi man:
“I want a new autofocus system and a new display with a button to open the new mechanic.

Than a long buffer and more pictures per second.

A renewed stabilisation system is also a nice wish.”
Re: Wishes for the new APS-C camera: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
As everyone knows, he is a Pentax employee.It seems that the function of the unknown button is very probable and related to the new display.

asahi man wrote:
Pentax had an old patent and Ricoh was refreshing it.
Maybe, maybe not...
It's an completely new developed camera.
So, normal that it needed 3 years.
Re: And a picture!: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Respond to this message
Kszchopstix wrote:
Sensor under view finder must mean that it uses an electronic viewfinder. Unless they have found some way using prism technology to hybridize evf and mirror of dslr technology like the Fuji film xpro2. Exciting.
maybe EVF coming
I think there is something different about the viewfinder. I wonder if a transparent lcd could be used under the pentaprism to act as a efv when the mirror is up. To my knowlege a high resolution transparent lcd doesnt exsist that would be high enough quality for this purpose though.
10-15-2019, 01:32 AM - 5 Likes   #2713
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crash82 Quote

This is how that post reads: "I want Pentax to make mirrorless cameras because everyone else is doing it and the Z50 fits in my pocket* and AF speed** and EVFs*** and and and..."

*No it doesn't.

**Yeah the D500 is so slow.

***I don't want to look at yet another screen, it really can't be that difficult to understand.
10-15-2019, 01:32 AM   #2714
Pentaxian

Ricoh have confirmed that Hoya are the holder of the registration of the Pentax trademark but they stated they would keep the right to use it after 2020.
QuoteOriginally posted by Ricoh:
'No, [the rumor] is not a fact.

Hoya is the owner of the PENTAX trademark, but there are no restrictions or limitations attached for RICOH to use the PENTAX brand in the camera business.

We will continue to offer the PENTAX brand products including new items.'
Source: Ricoh denies rumors it will lose the right to use the Pentax brand name | Digital Photography Review
10-15-2019, 01:39 AM   #2715
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
I think there is something different about the viewfinder. I wonder if a transparent lcd could be used under the pentaprism to act as a efv when the mirror is up. To my knowlege a high resolution transparent lcd doesnt exsist that would be high enough quality for this purpose though.
For such a small size there are, at least, pretty good B/W prototypes. However, would it be possible to put a "normal" EVF on one of the top sides in such a way that you see that when the mirror is up?

I would be happy "just" with an outline from the metering system superimposing an LCD that shows the histogram and, ideally, some focus peaking?

Last edited by Serkevan; 10-15-2019 at 01:55 AM.
Closed Thread