Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3229 Likes Search this Thread
10-15-2019, 04:44 AM   #2731
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
True @JPT. Who in there right mind would introduce new lenses and a new camera and just call it quits. The cost for manufacturing and releasing new stuff costs millions. It's absurd to just throw in the towel after such investments.
Strange things do happen... The world isn't always logical (if it ever was).

I expect Pentax to thrive and produce excellent products as long as I live (give and take another 50 years).

10-15-2019, 06:15 AM   #2732
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
I've heard of three but this doesn't make a big difference. One copy is currently showcased in Japan and another one touring France.
Correction: it seems that at least two copies are currently showcased in Japan, one at Ricoh Imaging Square Shinjuku (Tokyo) and another one at Ricoh Imaging Square Osaka.
10-15-2019, 06:35 AM   #2733
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crash82 Quote
R.I.P. Pentax (The Nikon Z50 marks the end of Pentax: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review).

Recently there was an unconfirmed rumour that Ricoh had bought the technical stuff, but that the rights to the name Pentax would remain with Hoya and that Ricoh only has them until 2020, so there are no new Pentax cameras anymore because Ricoh will soon not be able to call them Pentax anymore.
Has anyone ever heard of it?
Oh dear.......

Sadly, the silly DPR thread is locked, as I felt compelled to make a rare DPR forum post. Oh well. So, for the satisfaction of the
forwarding party, consider this alternate 'thesis'. If Canon and Nikon both left the DSLR market altogether that would leave Pentax
as the sole player and would thus put Pentax in a very strong position considering the number of photographers who prefer the
benefits of a DSLR. There are many Canon and Nikon shooters who like what Pentax offers but haven't switched because they
already have an investment in their chosen mount. What better way to force their hand than to take away their chosen platform
and force them not only to adopt a new mount but a mirrorless body to boot.

As for the rumor........, the answer is out there, with a little effort and google. Someone nicer than I will probably do the leg work
to find a link.
10-15-2019, 06:40 AM   #2734
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The touch screen of the Ricoh GR III is asymmetrical as well.
It appears to me that on the GRIII the largest inactive area of the touch screen is on the side of the rear where the thumb activated buttons are present - in order to decrease the likelihood of inadvertent activation of a function via the touch screen.

On the K-? the larger inactive area is on the left where there are no buttons to draw finger attention. So does this imply something, or just mean that Ricoh is saving money by using the same display (reversed 180 degrees) as on the GRIII in order to reduce piece part cost due to higher volume? Only time will tell.

10-15-2019, 06:50 AM   #2735
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lsimpkins Quote
It appears to me that on the GRIII the largest inactive area of the touch screen is on the side of the rear where the thumb activated buttons are present - in order to decrease the likelihood of inadvertent activation of a function via the touch screen.

On the K-? the larger inactive area is on the left where there are no buttons to draw finger attention. So does this imply something, or just mean that Ricoh is saving money by using the same display (reversed 180 degrees) as on the GRIII in order to reduce piece part cost due to higher volume? Only time will tell.
Interesting observation. The latter, I would say.
10-15-2019, 08:34 AM   #2736
Pentaxian

And reversing it makes it less likely to activate involuntarily the screen options from the left hand.
10-15-2019, 09:25 AM   #2737
Pentaxian

The touch screen of the Ricoh GR III is asymmetrical as well.
As long as there is a means to turn off the touch screen I am happy. Come to think of it, since I purchased a KP last years at {my} age 70, Pentax doesn't have to worry about me - their only question needs to be what will my daughters' generation think?

10-15-2019, 09:49 AM   #2738
Pentaxian

Yes, touchscreen disableable on GRIII
10-15-2019, 10:08 AM - 2 Likes   #2739
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That DPReview article/thread is the usual mess.

I don't at all understand the obsession with compact size on enthusiast/pro level cameras. Most lenses used with these cameras are large and heavy. Making a slightly smaller body doesn't change that and doesn't mean the camera with a 70-200 is suddenly more pocketable. And generally, if you're looking for a fully featured high level camera, the ergonomics get worse as one gets smaller. I don't like the KP ergonomics compared the K-1(and I have both). But at least with both, I can control shutter, aperture, and ISO all with wheels, and all without looking up from the viewfinder. If a body gets so small that many of those options are only available on a touchscreen, that's terrible for real world use.

Second, the other counterpoint I'd raise to this type of article is Leica. The numbers they sell are pretty small, and they don't bring out new bodies or lenses all that often. And not always the latest tech. But we don't have lots of folks running around saying Leica is doomed. Even if Pentax can't compete at the lower end of the market, I do think there's an option for them to go the Leica route.
10-15-2019, 10:14 AM - 1 Like   #2740
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveinSLC Quote

I don't at all understand the obsession with compact size on enthusiast/pro level cameras. Most lenses used with these cameras are large and heavy. Making a slightly smaller body doesn't change that and doesn't mean the camera with a 70-200 is suddenly more pocketable. And generally, if you're looking for a fully featured high level camera, the ergonomics get worse as one gets smaller. I don't like the KP ergonomics compared the K-1(and I have both). But at least with both, I can control shutter, aperture, and ISO all with wheels, and all without looking up from the viewfinder. If a body gets so small that many of those options are only available on a touchscreen, that's terrible for real world use.

Second, the other counterpoint I'd raise to this type of article is Leica. The numbers they sell are pretty small, and they don't bring out new bodies or lenses all that often. And not always the latest tech. But we don't have lots of folks running around saying Leica is doomed. Even if Pentax can't compete at the lower end of the market, I do think there's an option for them to go the Leica route.
I have said before, there’s a lot of room between Leica and Nikon.
10-15-2019, 10:26 AM   #2741
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveinSLC Quote

I don't at all understand the obsession with compact size on enthusiast/pro level cameras. Most lenses used with these cameras are large and heavy. Making a slightly smaller body doesn't change that and doesn't mean the camera with a 70-200 is suddenly more pocketable. And generally, if you're looking for a fully featured high level camera, the ergonomics get worse as one gets smaller. I don't like the KP ergonomics compared the K-1(and I have both). But at least with both, I can control shutter, aperture, and ISO all with wheels, and all without looking up from the viewfinder.
I understand an interest in a smaller camera - I purchase a 'small' "KP" (*) on Black Friday last year specifically because of its size, but I read the words of DPReview and then apply my own facts. That is all we can do.

(*) as you can see from my signature photo, "KP" on the far-right is larger than the {film} "Super Program" on the far-left.
10-15-2019, 10:38 AM - 1 Like   #2742
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Oh dear.......

Sadly, the silly DPR thread is locked, as I felt compelled to make a rare DPR forum post. Oh well. So, for the satisfaction of the
forwarding party, consider this alternate 'thesis'. If Canon and Nikon both left the DSLR market altogether that would leave Pentax
as the sole player and would thus put Pentax in a very strong position considering the number of photographers who prefer the
benefits of a DSLR. There are many Canon and Nikon shooters who like what Pentax offers but haven't switched because they
already have an investment in their chosen mount. What better way to force their hand than to take away their chosen platform
and force them not only to adopt a new mount but a mirrorless body to boot.

As for the rumor........, the answer is out there, with a little effort and google. Someone nicer than I will probably do the leg work
to find a link.
I'm actually strongly considering making a copy post of his post in the Nikon forum about the Z50. How the Z50 is DOA and all...

Just need the time.
10-15-2019, 10:46 AM   #2743
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
I'm actually strongly considering making a copy post of his post in the Nikon forum about the Z50. How the Z50 is DOA and all...

Just need the time.
I guess I'll have to read the Z5 article .... I don't totally disagree with him - I think Nikon is really confused right now, and they're reduced to spitballing ideas to see what will 'stick to the wall'.
10-15-2019, 10:50 AM - 1 Like   #2744
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote

Just need the time.
I triple dog dare you to make that post over in Nikon land!
(this schoolyard stuff is fun, almost feel young again)
Eric
10-15-2019, 10:56 AM - 1 Like   #2745
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Nikon has never really bothered to do any serious development of their APS-C digital line, *particularly* on the lens front. This Z50 is wholly unsurprising, coming from them:

"Here, a cheaper body because FF is very expensive. Also, here are the two kit zooms, the 18-250ish superzoom, maybe one UWA zoom and a 35/1.8 prime. Y'all don't need anything else or you would be shooting FF".

---------- Post added 10-15-19 at 11:00 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
I triple dog dare you to make that post over in Nikon land!
(this schoolyard stuff is fun, almost feel young again)
Eric
I thought people couldn't get more boneheaded than in some of the MMO/online games I've been in. I was swiftly proven wrong by how... passionate* the photography community can be. This is the console wars of "Sega does what Nintendon't" all over again! [Grabs lotsa popcorn].

*Passionate is the least offensive and most moderator-friendly euphemism I could come up with.
Closed Thread