Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3229 Likes Search this Thread
10-16-2019, 03:35 AM   #2791
Pentaxian

Someone over at Pentaxmedicalforums.com: "$ 100 000,-!!! Great! There goes the R&D budget!"

10-16-2019, 03:39 AM - 1 Like   #2792
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
Someone over at Pentaxmedicalforums.com: "$ 100 000,-!!! Great! There goes the R&D budget!"
That’s where the money is...
10-16-2019, 03:51 AM - 1 Like   #2793
Pentaxian

Considering that Hoya's profit before tax was equal to 25.6% of their revenue in FY2019 (Ricoh's: 4.2%), I wouldn't worry too much about them.
10-16-2019, 04:03 AM   #2794

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Seriously - I'm sure it's an ergonomic thing, but I agree that some of the most appealing designs of cameras aren't necessarily the most technically ergonomic, just like some of the most loved cars aren't always the most aerodynamic - form can follow function too slavishly - having said which, the camera in question looks very nice to me
I also would prefer straight lines. I don't care too much about the looks (its not going to beat the LX looks either way), but its nice to be able to prop it against some object or wall for some shots when I dont have a tripod. With a curved side, it might be too unstable that way.

10-16-2019, 04:13 AM - 1 Like   #2795
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by xandos Quote
but its nice to be able to prop it against some object or wall for some shots when I dont have a tripod. With a curved side, it might be too unstable that way.
Good point! I do that frequently, although last time I did that a couple of weeks ago, I was shooting in portrait mode and used the bottom of the camera for support against a wall (And then I managed to knock off the removable little thingy from my DFA 28-105 lens hood, and it dropped down on a street from a high tower! I ran down from the tower, and believe it or not, found the little thing immediately )
10-16-2019, 04:29 AM   #2796
Pentaxian

I also would prefer straight lines. I don't care too much about the looks (its not going to beat the LX looks either way), but its nice to be able to prop it against some object or wall for some shots when I dont have a tripod. With a curved side, it might be too unstable that way.
An extra tripod mount, like on the 645's, wouldn't that be nice?
10-16-2019, 04:35 AM - 2 Likes   #2797
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I kinda like my camera body to be straight. I like the retro look. And, I like defined angle corner edges. That's all.
Your hands are designed to grasp ball-shaped objects. The grips should be two baseballs. Or cricket balls.

10-16-2019, 04:41 AM - 1 Like   #2798

An extra tripod mount, like on the 645's, wouldn't that be nice?
It might be nice, but its not of much use when not having your tripod with you. When I do bring it, I'm happy to use my ballhead at a 90 degree angle. Alternatively I could purchase an L bracket.

I nearly always carry my camera (K-1) with me, but nearly never bring my tripod, so if longer shots are needed, I improvise with whatever happens to be around. Its great that we don't have to be too careful with these cameras due to dust/water proofing and robust build.
10-16-2019, 04:53 AM - 3 Likes   #2799
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Zooland Quote
So what happens next? Can someone summarise a probable sequence of events or announcements regarding the new camera? I’m interested in looking at the manual.
If it is like previous models, we should get a couple of rumors or hints about the name in November, and see some more photos of it under glass or with a lens mounted at some dealer event.
In Dec, we should get strong 'hints' about some basic features (megapixels, whether it will support 4k video, AF points, etc).
In Jan, someone will leak 'confirmation' about the sensor, fps, video or viewfinder.
About 1 week before CP+ we should see leaked low-res photos from a brochure or manual.
About 1-2 days before the official announcement, we'll have leaked 'official photos' and name and list of specs.
I'd expect it would be officially announced the week before CP+.
It will be the star of the Ricoh booth, along with the 11-18 and a newly announced lens. (70-200 f4?)
We'll get a new lens roadmap, and a prototype of the next lens to be developed (85 f1.4?) under glass.
The cameras at CP+ will be fully working models, but it won't ship until March 2020.

At least that's what I think is probable regarding the new camera.
10-16-2019, 05:11 AM - 6 Likes   #2800
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Your hands are designed to grasp ball-shaped objects. The grips should be two baseballs. Or cricket balls.
I would go against forum rules and public decency if I wrote here what my hands are designed to grasp but, whilst I'm straight, they are definitely curvy.
10-16-2019, 05:17 AM   #2801
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Grips like the K-5 or K-3 are great. It's just the side that should be straight. Again like the k-5 and k-3. Straight camera sides with nothing sorta bulging.
10-16-2019, 05:21 AM - 2 Likes   #2802
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The MZ-D had a curved left side.
Just sayin'

Pentax knows history.
10-16-2019, 05:31 AM   #2803
Pentaxian

Just use an L-plate - problem solved...
10-16-2019, 05:36 AM   #2804
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

its nice to be able to prop it against some object or wall for some shots when I dont have a tripod. With a curved side, it might be too unstable that way.
You'll have to take to making portrait orientation shots
10-16-2019, 05:59 AM - 1 Like   #2805
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
they are definitely curvy.
That... can still go several ways.

On a related note, several times I have been informed that my better half's tele lens is, in fact, substantially larger than mine.
Closed Thread