Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2019, 02:13 PM   #3226
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Maybe it's for the new HyperSR® (Subject Stabilization) system that holds the subject still for the shot.

Who needs lightning-fast AF or a billion frames-a-second if the camera could stabilize the subject!?!?!?!?
One could also argue that one wouldn't need to 'stabilizing' the subject if a K-3ii were modified to have faster AF {from Nikon}, more fps {from Sony}, and KP-like high ISO performance {from Pentax} .... and, honestly, is feasible with modern technology.

11-02-2019, 03:03 PM - 4 Likes   #3227
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The mystery button is marked EMP and when pressed sends out an electro magnetic pulse instantly disabling all other non Pentax gear thus enabling only Pentax Pros “to get the winning shot”!
11-02-2019, 03:18 PM - 1 Like   #3228
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Maybe it's for the new HyperSR® (Subject Stabilization) system that holds the subject still for the shot.

Who needs lightning-fast AF or a billion frames-a-second if the camera could stabilize the subject!?!?!?!?
HaHa...Ricoh do have a patent that involves using the SR system for micro adjustments of the sensor to improve autofocus speed/efficiency/accuracy.
Maybe this is the improved SR eluded to by Asahi man?
11-02-2019, 03:26 PM - 3 Likes   #3229
Veteran Member

This mystery button was added on the prototype of 'K-new-button' on @Adam request. He doubled the total number of post per day on Pentaxforums.

11-02-2019, 03:33 PM   #3230
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by agukha Quote
So ? The switch between OVF and some sort of EVF, possibly not with same functionalities than others, but however something between ?
You could be on to something agukha. I would hope Ricoh would be bold enough to try something in line with recent patents?
11-02-2019, 05:21 PM   #3231
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GordonZA Quote
The mystery button is marked EMP and when pressed sends out an electro magnetic pulse instantly disabling all other non Pentax gear thus enabling only Pentax Pros “to get the winning shot”!
That would basically guarantee no flash or gps

And threads titled “severe banding when I fire the EMP in the middle of a shot above ISO 640. Why do we have an accelerator unit?”

-Eric
11-02-2019, 06:01 PM   #3232
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
HaHa...Ricoh do have a patent that involves using the SR system for micro adjustments of the sensor to improve autofocus speed/efficiency/accuracy.
Maybe this is the improved SR eluded to by Asahi man?
How would that work? Moving the focal plane backwards and forwards?

11-02-2019, 06:07 PM   #3233
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There may be an old Contax/Yashica patent on moving the focal plane back and forth to achieve focus so not sure if moving the sensor that way is possible. Unless Ricoh bought the patent or it has expired.
11-02-2019, 06:13 PM   #3234
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That was used on the Contax AX slr.. allowed af with any lens, including adapted mf lenses.
11-02-2019, 07:38 PM   #3235
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
That would basically guarantee no flash or gps

And threads titled “severe banding when I fire the EMP in the middle of a shot above ISO 640. Why do we have an accelerator unit?”

-Eric
And I was just reading yesterday how the capacitor in the flash unit prevented it from sharing the housing with the GPS unit (I thought it was a space issue, but I'm not a camera designer). And now the EMP feature will exclude both flash and GPS? I don't need to have elbows that are that sharp when I'm taking pictures in a crowd.

By the way, I'd love to see the shielding that would keep the EMP feature from frying the electronics of its own camera. And some people already thought the K-1 was too big and heavy...
11-02-2019, 08:42 PM   #3236
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yorik Quote
Yes.I think that is the idea. In conjunction with the normal lens adjustments. I was reading the patent a couple of weeks ago but can I find it now?
11-02-2019, 09:05 PM - 1 Like   #3237
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yorik Quote
Interesting. I presume that normal AF which moves heavy lens groups is slowed to some extent by inertia, particularly if it has to move the lens group backwards and forwards. Maybe a new system would involve the AF movement of the lens group to the approximate position while moving the sensor would allow a fast and accurate final adjustment. (Just my 'stream of consciousness' at work. There may be a hundred reasons why this would not be workable or fast.)
11-02-2019, 09:13 PM   #3238
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
Yes.I think that is the idea. In conjunction with the normal lens adjustments. I was reading the patent a couple of weeks ago but can I find it now?
Would be nice to see that patent. If Ricoh successfully implements this, then automated focus stacking may finally be in the works. That would be great for macro work.
11-03-2019, 12:13 AM   #3239
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
Would be nice to see that patent. If Ricoh successfully implements this, then automated focus stacking may finally be in the works. That would be great for macro work.
Would that avoid focus breathing?
11-03-2019, 05:20 AM   #3240
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote
Would that avoid focus breathing?
As always, ‘focus breathing’ will depend on lens design, but body firmware may be able to compensate for it {as I understand it, only last little steps are done by body}.
Closed Thread